Iron Fortified Cereal or Pop Tarts?

Options
cappri
cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
I just discovered I'm anemic and my doctor has prescribed iron supplements three times a day. She also wants my diet to be more iron rich, well and run less but we'll ignore that for now. I keep reading that breakfast cereals are iron fortified and I looked at Cheerios and yes a serving has 45% of daily requirement in a serving, which is great. However I also keep reading that calcium hurts the absorption of iron. Cereal without milk? I can't eat it that way. However what is the point if the milk just cancels out the iron?

I looked at pop tarts too, because who doesn't want a good reason to eat pop tarts? They have 20% of your daily iron, which is still pretty good. Bumps up to 40% if you eat both in the package. Of course the 400 calorie hit is brutal, but I can eat pop tarts without milk!

Replies

• shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you don't want to just eat meat? Liver has tons of iron if you like liver at all, but also red meat, dark chicken, spinach...
  • cappri
    Options
    Is there some reason you don't want to just eat meat? Liver has tons of iron if you like liver at all, but also red meat, dark chicken, spinach...

For breakfast?

Actually I have no problem eating meat, not liver ewww gross! I already eat a lot of spinach. I was just looking at the breakfast cereal because the second you start looking up iron rich foods, the fortified cereals pop up as a suggestion.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options

For breakfast?
    Well, there is sausage and bacon :) (apparently bacon has more than sausage, fwiw)

I am not big on 'fortified' stuff, personally, so maybe I'm biased. If you want one of those things, I'd pick the one with the least sugar I guess.
  • cappri
    Options

For breakfast?
    Well, there is sausage and bacon :) (apparently bacon has more than sausage, fwiw)

I am not big on 'fortified' stuff, personally, so maybe I'm biased. If you want one of those things, I'd pick the one with the least sugar I guess.

Bacon is always good.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Would meat at your other meals not cut it? I don't know the content of red meat but I would look into whether or not you can get most of it from other meals? Also, don't quote me, but I THINK milk MIGHT hinder the absorbtion or iron but I can't be sure, I recall reading that somewhere. Again, I could just be talking out of my *kitten* here lol (in which case pop tart would win! lol)
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

Liver, Pop Tarts, Liver l, Pot Tarts.....hmmmmm.........I think I know which one I'm choosing.

I pick liver. That stuff is delicious.
  • highervibes
    Options

Liver, Pop Tarts, Liver l, Pot Tarts.....hmmmmm.........I think I know which one I'm choosing.

Lets make it interesting, bbq ribeye, poptarts, bbq ribeye, poptarts lol
  • highervibes
    Options

I pick liver. That stuff is delicious.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little,
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat an iron skillet than liver.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little,
    I would rather eat an iron skillet than liver.

More for me!

Though you are missing out on liverwurst (like, delicious bologna), pate, FOIE GRAS (though not as good as other livers as an iron source)...
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts or cereal - neither! Red meat has iron. That fortified stuff may or may not be used by your body. Processed food is no place to get good nutrition.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Pot tarts sounds horrifingly beautiful. WANT.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Pot tarts sounds horrifingly beautiful. WANT.

This post is oddly hilarious if I consider it spoken from the perspective of an actual corgi.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    coffee also inhibits iron absorption but vitamin C and alcohol increase it. might need to replace your morning coffee with a mimosa.

Pop Tarts + Mimosa = The Breakfast of Champions.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oatmeal Squares are high in iron (even more than Cheerios) and the bonus is that these taste great without milk. I love to eat them for a snack. I like the plain original flavor, but they do have them in an assortment of flavors.
  • highervibes
    Options
    coffee also inhibits iron absorption but vitamin C and alcohol increase it. might need to replace your morning coffee with a mimosa.

Pop Tarts + Mimosa = The Breakfast of Champions.

YESSSS it was coffee I was thinking. My iron was on the lower end of normal and my doctor did mention this too me. I eat a significant amount of red meat so it's definitely an absorption issue for me.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    How about just a multivitamin with iron in it? Also I work for a gastroenterologist and when he prescribes iron for his anemic patients he also has them take vitamin C because it helps your body absorb iron better. Just a thought. SD
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My midwife recommended weetabix for iron when I was anemic when I was pregnant (smell of meat made me puke at the time lol). She never said anything about milk making it not effective though!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How about having a liver sandwich, but instead of bread use pop tarts