Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

National Weight Control Registry

nxd10nxd10 Posts: 4,477Member, Premium Member Posts: 4,477Member, Premium Member
I just finished the survey for my fifth year in National Weight Control Registry.

You've likely all read how hard it is to maintain. This registry only enrolls people who have lost 30 pounds and kept it off a year. They are trying to figure out successful maintenance strategies. Before I started my first (and only) diet, I read their findings to find out how to lose and maintain. I did what they suggested. I'm still doing fine.

You can join!

http://www.nwcr.ws/

Replies

• PAV8888PAV8888 Posts: 5,464Member Member Posts: 5,464Member Member
    Oh, I got some insights and ideas from them too. But I am not compellingly convinced by many of the research papers they've produced and they very seldom show anything beyond correlation. They still provided me with ideas, some of which I incorporated, so happy they exist! Just... not Gospel!
    edited June 12
  • jrwms714jrwms714 Posts: 325Member Member Posts: 325Member Member
    NWCR is a highly respected, long-time organization. At one point, I joined many years ago ... then opted out. I looked into joining again a while back, but things had changed and there was just too much ongoing information they wanted that I was not comfortable giving.(Can't remember what or how; it's been a few years since I got that packet.) So I did not join. (In these days of privacy issues, and having had my credit card hacked one too many times, I am highly sensitive about this, probably too much.) I think they do quality work, and I am pleased to see that the habits of long-time maintainers are ones that I use myself. But for now, I think I will use their site and its information to support my maintenance. OP, glad that you joined and glad that others do so. It's really a valuable research institution.
  • Kathryn247Kathryn247 Posts: 479Member Member Posts: 479Member Member
    I registered with them a couple of weeks ago and it said they'd send me a survey when the new one came out, but I haven't heard anything else from them.
  • jan110144jan110144 Posts: 861Member, Premium Member Posts: 861Member, Premium Member
    I have nothing to add, since I am definitely not a runner. Just wanted to say I am in awe of those if you who are. Kudos to you!!
  • WickedPineappleWickedPineapple Posts: 695Member Member Posts: 695Member Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I registered with them a couple of weeks ago and it said they'd send me a survey when the new one came out, but I haven't heard anything else from them.

If I'm remembering correctly, the survey comes out annually in the fall. October, maybe?
  • cheryldumaischeryldumais Posts: 1,557Member Member Posts: 1,557Member Member
    I've tried to register twice but no response? Is it because I'm in Canada?
  • psychod787psychod787 Posts: 2,003Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,003Member, Premium Member
    Got the packet.... Thought about it.... decided, this is my adventure. I will share it with people I can interact with.
    edited June 12
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Posts: 5,464Member Member Posts: 5,464Member Member
    I've tried to register twice but no response? Is it because I'm in Canada?

YES. US only.
  • lorrpblorrpb Posts: 10,252Member Member Posts: 10,252Member Member
    I’m a member. I get a few things a year from them. I’m glad to contribute. You don’t have to give your credit card info and the surveys are anonymous as I recall.