National Weight Control Registry

nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I just finished the survey for my fifth year in National Weight Control Registry.

You've likely all read how hard it is to maintain. This registry only enrolls people who have lost 30 pounds and kept it off a year. They are trying to figure out successful maintenance strategies. Before I started my first (and only) diet, I read their findings to find out how to lose and maintain. I did what they suggested. I'm still doing fine.

You can join!

http://www.nwcr.ws/

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited June 2019
    Oh, I got some insights and ideas from them too. But I am not compellingly convinced by many of the research papers they've produced and they very seldom show anything beyond correlation. They still provided me with ideas, some of which I incorporated, so happy they exist! Just... not Gospel!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    NWCR is a highly respected, long-time organization. At one point, I joined many years ago ... then opted out. I looked into joining again a while back, but things had changed and there was just too much ongoing information they wanted that I was not comfortable giving.(Can't remember what or how; it's been a few years since I got that packet.) So I did not join. (In these days of privacy issues, and having had my credit card hacked one too many times, I am highly sensitive about this, probably too much.) I think they do quality work, and I am pleased to see that the habits of long-time maintainers are ones that I use myself. But for now, I think I will use their site and its information to support my maintenance. OP, glad that you joined and glad that others do so. It's really a valuable research institution.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    I registered with them a couple of weeks ago and it said they'd send me a survey when the new one came out, but I haven't heard anything else from them.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I have nothing to add, since I am definitely not a runner. Just wanted to say I am in awe of those if you who are. Kudos to you!!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I registered with them a couple of weeks ago and it said they'd send me a survey when the new one came out, but I haven't heard anything else from them.

If I'm remembering correctly, the survey comes out annually in the fall. October, maybe?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I've tried to register twice but no response? Is it because I'm in Canada?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2019
    Got the packet.... Thought about it.... decided, this is my adventure. I will share it with people I can interact with.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    I've tried to register twice but no response? Is it because I'm in Canada?

YES. US only.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I’m a member. I get a few things a year from them. I’m glad to contribute. You don’t have to give your credit card info and the surveys are anonymous as I recall.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I applied months ago. I’ve lost 80 pounds and am now in full maintenance of that loss for 10 months. I have been past the 35 pound mark for 1 1/2 years. I have never received any response from them. Any ideas why?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Oh, I got some insights and ideas from them too. But I am not compellingly convinced by many of the research papers they've produced and they very seldom show anything beyond correlation. They still provided me with ideas, some of which I incorporated, so happy they exist! Just... not Gospel!

Well, of course it has limitations. But it is such an important study.
    Kudos to you participants!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I applied months ago. I’ve lost 80 pounds and am now in full maintenance of that loss for 10 months. I have been past the 35 pound mark for 1 1/2 years. I have never received any response from them. Any ideas why?

They send out surveys only a couple times a year, so maybe yours hasn’t rolled around yet. Or you could email them to double check. I’m sure it’s nothing personal.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    I've applied recently. I have meant to do it a while ago, wanted to be part of that, so i was reminded again by this post. Waiting for whatever packet they mail you. Thanks, @nxd10 .
  • nxd10
    Kathryn247 wrote: »

If I'm remembering correctly, the survey comes out annually in the fall. October, maybe?

Late June, early July.

AND please remember you can skip any question you don't want to answer.
  • nxd10

It took forever the first time for me too.
  • nxd10
    PAV8888 wrote: »

It's a prospective study. EVERYONE in the study was successful at losing a significant amount of weight and keeping it off a year. So all our successful dieters. What these studies look at is differentiating those who drift back to their baseline weight from those who don't by predicting group membership as a function of behavior. So, technically it's correlational, but it can make a much stronger causal claim because of the selection factors that go into the sample and because you have longitudinal data.

Personally, I have other issues with the study (I'm a survey researcher), which have to do with how they measure some of the constructs. For example, I hate that item that asks whether you can eat anything you want. I do eat anything I want. But I want healthy food and I don't like over-eating because it makes me feel sick. "All I want" is pretty small portions of tasty high sugar/fat food. Love them, but don't eat a lot.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    edited July 2019
    In a way it is a valid question though, because you have to consider whether you are still seriously restricting what you eat (i.e. no carbs, no alcohol, no sugar) or if you allow yourself a lot more leeway. Some people may not want to eat carbs or sugar, but if you do want them but never eat them for fear of regaining the weight then that is a different matter.

I can eat anything I want, I just can't eat everything I want. I.e. I have one beer a couple of times a week. I don't have 2 or 3 and I don't drink every day. I have ice cream a few times a week. I don't have it every day and I don't sit and eat a pint at a time.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Got the packet.... Thought about it.... decided, this is my adventure. I will share it with people I can interact with.

The reason I joined was two-fold. First, it helps others on their journey. Before I started losing weight, I read their research and it helped me a LOT in figuring out how to lose and how to maintain. I wanted to share.

It also holds me accountable. Every year when June comes up, I start thinking about whether I've lost of gained or maintained this year. I want to stay in the 'successful' group to inspire others. That's the truth.

But I'm a researcher. Your mileage may differ.

Respected.... I am a researcher of sorts, just the kind that gets me woo'd a lot. I am trying to stay up to date on all the new info that comes out. We have to challenge our thoughts and ideas on a daily basis If we want to stay fresh.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member

Thank you @garystrickland357
    Thank you Gary. Your comment made me look back. I’ve been 30lbs under since Nov 14, 2017. Down 73-75 in lbs total now.
    I was waiting until I hit GW & stayed in my range for 1 year before applying. Still, nice to know :)