This is scary. Woman dies of heart attack at gym

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Woman-Dies-Planet-Fitness-Gym-Long-Island-Bay-Shore-Worker-Fails-Respond-Lawsuit-Emily-Hamlin-213035521.html

In the video, the woman appears to be thin. You just don't think that someone like her would have a heart attack. The article states that she had an undetected heart condition. Get your physicals!

The main part of this story is that the stupid gym employee didn't call for help until five minutes later after a second person told him that she needed help.

Even with a physical, some heart conditions are unknown. There was an Olympic figure skater years ago at the peak of his career who died in his 20s from a heart attack. It happens.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Physicals find heart conditions?
    It can. High heart rate due to very mild physical exertion (say like lifting a leg up while in a standing position) can indicate a problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That could have been me a year ago! Before I wanted to start racing, my mom made me get my heart checked out (that was 2008) Turned out I had a life threatening heart condition and I had to call all the hard training and races off.

You would never think a slim, fit, young woman would need heart surgery, but I did last summer. And now, cured!

Getting a physical will not figure out if you have a heart problem. You have to request special testing. I recommend everyone do that.
    Yeah, you guys know what I meant. LOL. I obviously haven't gotten a stress test, but I am going to stop putting it off and make an appt this wk. And, I'm glad that you're okay, though. I bet your mom is never going to let you hear the end of it. "I TOLD YOU IN 2008 TO GET YOUR HEART CHECKED OUT!!!" LOL

Hahaha she definitely rubbed it in for the first few months. I always say she's overprotective and I was so annoyed at her forcefulness with this heart test because there is no history of heart problems in the family....but man am I glad she made me do that. I easily could have been dead years ago.

LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHERS!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

They don't detect all heart conditions, but many risk factors may identified during a physcial that would warrant further follow-up where the condition may be found. Depending on age, a full physical is likely to include a stress test which very well may detect a heart condtion.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Certification classes are often inexpensive or free at local community centers.

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.

This... In this sue happy country I wouldn't touch anyone unfortunately.

I didn't consider that. Check your laws. We have Good Samaritan laws in Missouri.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    "Charnas also said the gym did not have an automated external defibrillator or an employee certified in the operation of AEDs on site at the time, as the law requires."

So much about this story is awful, but this ESPECIALLY gets to me.

I didn't even read that part. That part makes it even worse. If his company had done what they were required to do, the employee more than likely would have tried to help (since it would have been company policy) and could have saved her life. It's really unfortunate when people die because of a company's negligence and greed.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It can. High heart rate due to very mild physical exertion (say like lifting a leg up while in a standing position) can indicate a problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Murmurs can be heard, as well. If blood isn't flowing properly through the heart, the sound will change.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It actually depends on the state laws whether an AED is required in a gym. Granted I think that it's something that is a smart investment as a gym owner, but some owners won't spend the money if they don't have to. I know at the gym that i used to work at it was a requirement for us to have our CPR certification but they weren't always very good about keeping track of everyone being up to date.

That's the sad thing about group mentality, when things go down like that a lot of people just assume that someone else is calling 911 and so no one does.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.

I didn't consider that. Check your laws. We have Good Samaritan laws in Missouri.

Yes, states all have Good Samaratin laws.
    Some states only protect medical professionals UNLESS the treatment is for a heart condition or CPR, but in this case there is protection.

I'm so sad that there are people out there who would rather watch someone die than stick their neck out, regardless.
  • mistyshucksilva
    mistyshucksilva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Samaritan laws protect health care workers who perform CPR or other life saving procedures in the field (not in a hospital or medical clinic). Mainly because they are more likely to get sued for malpractice than an individual with no medical training. I would definitely act on a person down before I would think of getting sued.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Some states only protect medical professionals UNLESS the treatment is for a heart condition or CPR, but in this case there is protection.

I'm so sad that there are people out there who would rather watch someone die than stick their neck out, regardless.

I agree.

I hope they don't actually think this way and would actually watch you die because they are afraid of being involved.

Otherwise, they've pretty much failed at being human.

I'd be giving you CPR - you can sue me if you want.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    A manager at my old job fell down from a heart attack and cracked his head on the cement. A coworker performed CPR until EMS could arrive. He definitely saved his life. Thanks for the reminder, I need to get certified.

It would be nice if all gym employees had to be certified, but unlikely that they all would. I worked at subway where I was told all managers and assistants had to be food safety certified. I guarantee most aren't.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    absolutely awful :( poor thing. that guy and its shoddy employees are totally to blame. an ambulance could have been there in minutes. these scenarios can be prevented, up to a certain extent, with proper training and first response action. sheesh. unbelievable.

i had my first EKG, at age 30, last week. doc said my ticker is doing fine (knock on wood). but at 22, i never would have thought to have an EKG....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I'm sad too that our society has fallen so far that people choose to sue over everything. I'd love to help someone out, but I will not risk my family's security (financial or otherwise) to aid someone. Blood is first, until we live in a post-idiocracy where you can help someone out without having to worry about them suing you for cracking a rib when you save their life. (True story. Happened to my mom.)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I worked with a guy that was very fit. He lifted, he did cardio, he ate well and he almost died of a heart attack while running on the treadmill (no judgement on treadmills, it just happened to be where he was when it happened). It was genetics and that's something you can't fight. He had surgery, got better and is once more being his fit self.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

If they include the proper tests, yes.
    EKG for example.
    Stress test is another good one.
    Blood pressure to high is an indicator.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    After watching the video, I'll modify my thoughts a bit. The guy at the desk blew it. Worst case he could have asked first lady to make sure no other women were indecent in the locker room and gone in to check on the victim. That's common sense. Not right to hide behind that policy

we live in a society that fears litigation. i blame the TORT attorneys.

employees follow procedures written not to ensure the well-being of their fellow man, but to ensure that employees and companies have a defense against litigation.

the news media is filled with examples of employees doing something different than their training, and getting fired/sued as a result.

don't believe me? spend some time with google.

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/volusia-county/7eleven-clerk-fired-after-fighting-armed-thief/-/12983450/20810732/-/1veq6h/-/index.html
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I'm sad too that our society has fallen so far that people choose to sue over everything. I'd love to help someone out, but I will not risk my family's security (financial or otherwise) to aid someone. Blood is first, until we live in a post-idiocracy where you can help someone out without having to worry about them suing you for cracking a rib when you save their life. (True story. Happened to my mom.)

Thank you... this.
  • _DreDay_
    _DreDay_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Omg :cry: So young too.. She was my age.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Two things that stood out the most to me, the first woman nonchalantly walking up to the desk to report her collapsing (um, perhaps step it up a bit) and two the guy not calling 911 right away. Fine, you can't go in the bathroom, but call 911 at the very least!! Planet Fitness sucks on so many levels, but this takes the cake.

This. If someone dropped like that in my gym I'm going to check on them, yelling for staff and pulling out my phone to call 911, in that order and in rapid succession.

That said, live life today like it was your last. That lady could be any one of us. We don't know when our time is going to be up. Make it count.