This is scary. Woman dies of heart attack at gym

Options

Replies

• onecatleadstoanother
    Options
    heart attacks: they're not just for heavy people.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    second question: why didn't any of the frantic customers call 911?

Why wasnt the gym equipped with an AED? They are like every where now a days for $99

Ut oh, i see everyone with an Internet connection has suddenly passed a bar exam. This thread is headed for a death spiral.

Scary thread dies of personal attacks.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

EDIT: Also, there is NO REASON strong enough to convince me that everyone should have a physical check up once a year to assess their basic health.

Huh? Did I read that right?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Certification classes are often inexpensive or free at local community centers.

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.

This... In this sue happy country I wouldn't touch anyone unfortunately.

I didn't consider that. Check your laws. We have Good Samaritan laws in Missouri.

Yes, states all have Good Samaratin laws.
    Some states only protect medical professionals UNLESS the treatment is for a heart condition or CPR, but in this case there is protection.

I'm so sad that there are people out there who would rather watch someone die than stick their neck out, regardless.

I'm sad too that our society has fallen so far that people choose to sue over everything. I'd love to help someone out, but I will not risk my family's security (financial or otherwise) to aid someone. Blood is first, until we live in a post-idiocracy where you can help someone out without having to worry about them suing you for cracking a rib when you save their life. (True story. Happened to my mom.)

Thank you... this.

And if you're doing it right, you'll probably crack a rib.

I can imagine some *kitten* waking up in the hospital with a cracked rib or two and getting pissed at the person who cracked it, not giving a **** that the action that cracked the rib saved his/her life.

This is what good samaritan laws are about.

In missouri, if you're CPR certified, you're protected from litigation (well, you can get sued, but it will get thrown out in court), with the exception of minors. If a minor's guardian is present and refuses to give permission for the care of their ward, they can sue if you go against their wish, even if you save the kid's life. This exception is to protect the religious freedom of parents who believe that any medical intervention is against God's will.

Missourah
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Double weird post.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Physicals find heart conditions?

At least she is encouraging people to go get a check-up.

I went for a physical a couple of years ago and my doctor heard a faint heart murmur that she had never heard before. She referred me to a cardiologist and I found out that I had a leaky valve. The family doctor I see now also does EKG's at everybody's annual physical.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yikes! We've already had 2 deaths at my gym. And they were both from lifting. So scary!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm sad too that our society has fallen so far that people choose to sue over everything. I'd love to help someone out, but I will not risk my family's security (financial or otherwise) to aid someone. Blood is first, until we live in a post-idiocracy where you can help someone out without having to worry about them suing you for cracking a rib when you save their life. (True story. Happened to my mom.)

That's BS.

Don't try to make this into some, "I'm just trying to be a good father" nonsense.

If everyone acted like you say you would - you've just condemned YOUR family to dieing from a heart attack in a bathroom stall.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Let me take this opportunity to suggest we all get CPR and First Aid certified. Because any time you're around people, whether it's at the gym, or in a restaurant, at your place of work, or just walking down the street--- unexpected emergencies can happen.

Maybe if wouldn't have made a difference if the lady who first noticed the incident knew CPR and was able to use her phone to contact 911 immediately. Maybe it would have made all the difference.

Only thing I would add is to be aware of potential liability. Some states still don't have Good Samaritan laws.

I didn't consider that. Check your laws. We have Good Samaritan laws in Missouri.

Some states only protect medical professionals UNLESS the treatment is for a heart condition or CPR, but in this case there is protection.

I'm so sad that there are people out there who would rather watch someone die than stick their neck out, regardless.

I suppose everyone has their own priorities. Yours are just about as far away from mine as humanly possible. And I believe your knowledge of good Samaratin laws is probably lacking, as well.

Realistically speaking, if I have enough money to make myself seem worth suing, I have enough money to pay a decent lawyer to get me out of something so ridiculous.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Woman-Dies-Planet-Fitness-Gym-Long-Island-Bay-Shore-Worker-Fails-Respond-Lawsuit-Emily-Hamlin-213035521.html

In the video, the woman appears to be thin. You just don't think that someone like her would have a heart attack. The article states that she had an undetected heart condition. Get your physicals (stress test or whatever it's called)!

The main part of this story is that the stupid gym employee didn't call for help until five minutes later after a second person told him that she needed help.

Our gym has multiple portable defibrillators in key areas. I suppose it can happen anywhere :smokin: Shrug. Not worried for myself. :drinker:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness does not technically classify themselves as a gym, which allows them to exploit many loopholes in terms of staffing and training to minimize overhead.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

Also in my state as a medical professional if you don't stop and offer help you can be liable, but we do have good samaratian laws in Florida,
  • deanpear
    Options
    I would say number one don't just join a gym. RESEARCH your gym. Most membership agreements don't hold the gym liable, encourage you to get your OWN physical, to consult your DOCTOR before any physical activity. Also you should know if the staff is certified or if the AED machine is in the building. NEVER ASSUME that people will do the right thing. BE PREPARED to do the right thing. This could happen to anyone, not even in a gym. So please read contacts carefully and take care of yourselves!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That's BS.

Don't try to make this into some, "I'm just trying to be a good father" nonsense.

If everyone acted like you say you would - you've just condemned YOUR family to dieing from a heart attack in a bathroom stall.
    Not making it into hyperbolic nonsense, like you seem to want to make it.

The reality is, people sue. Unless your state has laws to protect you, aiding someone opens you up to litigation. Maybe you don't care about your family and care for the safety of others more. If that's the case, that's your choice. My priorities are family first, simple as that.

It's unfortunate that people will sue over the slightest things, but until that is corrected, you have to be cognizant of your responsibilities before willy nilly shifting into "hero mode" and exposing yourself to liability. I carry a personal liability insurance of $1mil, it specifically does not cover lawsuits arising from me rendering medical aid to others. I asked why. It's because those happen so often and are expensive to protect against, along with success rate of defense being low. Think about it.

I'll call 911 for you all day long, but unless I'm in a state that gives me total liability protection, I'm not risking my family for you. One way to fix that, write your legislators.

Like I mentioned before, we all have to die sometime. Live like it.
  • gcadmes
    gcadmes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sudden cardiac arrest is often confused with a heart attack. Although a prior heart attack increases one’s risk for sudden cardiac arrest, the two are quite different, with distinct risk factors, treatment options and outcomes.

Sudden Cardiac Death (SCD) claims the lives of over 450,000 Americans each year and is the #1 killer in the U.S. SCD can result in the death of individuals who may or may not know of pre-existing heart conditions.

SCD often occurs in active, seemingly healthy people with no known heart disease or other health problems. But the truth is that it is not a random event. Most victims already have heart disease or other health problems of which they are completely unaware. Fortunately, lives can be saved with early detection.

Most insurance companies will not pay for cardiac screenings and usually cost $1500+. For those living in SoCal, I found a place to take my kids prior to playing in any High School sports: http://heartfeltcardiacprojects.org/

They give full-cardiac screenings for $85.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options

Glad there aren't more people like you. What was the outcome of the lawsuit, by the way? Because you realize there is nothing that can protect you from being sued, right? You could be sued for doing nothing - but that would almost certainly be thrown out because in the US we don't generally require people to help. How many successful lawsuits have there been in this country against laypeople who performed CPR? You would have to be negligent and pretty much an idiot to have this happen. If a person's heart has stopped beating, they are dead and there isn't really anything you can do to make it worse - that's your argument in court and you will win.
  • kimika23
    kimika23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wow. This hits really close to home for me. Could have been me! When I was in college, I started having what everyone told me were panic attacks. The first attack I had I was kissing my boyfriend at the time :blushing: and all of a sudden couldn't breathe, felt like my heart was pounding and racing and felt very faint. Another time I was just sitting and watching TV, one time I was at a concert, sitting in class, etc. It wasn't until I finally passed out that I realized they weren't panic attacks. I was at my parents house using the treadmill and I remember seeing my heart rate go up to 220 on the machine and thinking it was broken. It may not have been fully accurate, but same thing happened, couldn't breath - only this time I actually passed out. My parents found me, woke me up and took me to the doctor. I found out I had atrial flutter and was told I had two options 1) take medicine every day for the rest of my life, or 2) do what was then a somewhat new ablation surgery. I opted for the surgery. It was outpatient, as it was done by a machine (laparoscopic) while the doctor was in another room. I had to be awake so they could trigger an attack, find the extra pathway (congenital issue) that was creating the problem and ablate it. Cool thing - how many people get to say they've seen the inside of their heart? I could see it on a monitor. When I woke up, it felt as if a weight was lifted off my chest and I could breath again. I hadn't realized what I was missing! I still have abnormal heart issues (enlarged atria, skipped beats, extra beats) but nothing that's life-threatening.

I'm just lucky that when I passed out, I woke up... SCARY stuff!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Glad there aren't more people like you.
    Aw, but you don't even know me. I'll need like, two positive affirmations today just because of you. heh. I'll log your opinion in the circular file.
    What was the outcome of the lawsuit, by the way?
    An extremely expensive defense ultimately leading to a settlement.
    You could be sued for doing nothing
    Correct.
    - but that would almost certainly be thrown out
    Incorrect, unless you have a citation of data supporting that.
    How many successful lawsuits have there been in this country against laypeople who performed CPR?
    Do share, along with your data of what qualifies as lawsuits against negligent or idiotic people.
    that's your argument in court and you will win.
    No. Thanks for playing.

ETA - I bet you also hate that I concealed carry. ;)
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah...

It's unfortunate that people will sue over the slightest things, but until that is corrected, you have to be cognizant of your responsibilities before willy nilly shifting into "hero mode" and exposing yourself to liability. I carry a personal liability insurance of $1mil, it specifically does not cover lawsuits arising from me rendering medical aid to others. I asked why. It's because those happen so often and are expensive to protect against, along with success rate of defense being low. Think about it.

I'll call 911 for you all day long, but unless I'm in a state that gives me total liability protection, I'm not risking my family for you. One way to fix that, write your legislators.

Like I mentioned before, we all have to die sometime. Live like it.

LOL - No one has ever been successfully sued for giving CPR.

You would let someone die due to some nonsense theoretical risk?

Way to go!

ETA: http://www.life1st.com/files/CPR-Legal_and_Ethical.pdf
    http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/askdoctor.html#Can I get sued
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    In the UK, there's a charity called CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/ ) who can test young people for undiagnosed heart conditions that can cause sudden deaths.