Need help!!!!

I just saw the doc today and yeah, some changes need to be made. He told me to do the 5P diet. No potatoes, pizza, pasta, pie or pastries. He also said brown rice only and lots of water. I don’t know how to start this diet. My motivation is not there and I want it to be. I want to lose around 35-40 pounds. What are some good ways to start dieting and be consistent?! Any ideas? Recipes? Ways that helped y’all stick to the diet. I want to be healthy, lose weight and maintain.

Replies

• marezac6815
    marezac6815 Posts: 69 Member
    I Totally agree with the above by kimny72... I enjoy a baked potato,or sweet potato, love pasta and pizza, in moderation, of course...
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,913 Member
    Agreed with the above. I actually eat a whole lot MORE potato when I am counting calories to lose because I can eat a lot of it for low calories and it is satisfying. Especially the Lo Carb potato.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Cutting out those 5Ps will not guarantee you will lose weight even if it is medically necessary for some reason. You have to be in a calorie deficit. That is the only way.
  • amandaschultz0505
    amandaschultz0505 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank y’all. I always like to ask for second opinions because it’s so hard for me to listen to one person and believe everything. I know he is my pcp and wants to help me, but I know there has to be other ways. I have pcos so I think that is mainly why he said to avoid those items. PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited June 2019
    welcome!

I agree with either second opinion or confirming what your doctor meant by the recommendation. was it simply to lose weight? or address an issue (and if so why that specific diet)? many doctors are not really super knowledgeable in diet and nutrition.

My number 1 suggestion is to not start off with so many changes and extremes that you set yourself up to fail. Find physical activity you ENJOY and are likely to keep doing for physical health but weight loss is mostly all done in the kitchen (or rather, what you put in your mouth).

on the same line of thought, don't try to go to extreme with eating too little and not eating any of the foods you like opting only for what you consider "diet food". again this can set up for binges and failure over time. set a reasonable rate of loss you can maintain and don't feel starving on.

Lastly - eating healthy isn't an all or nothing thing and try to avoid labeling food good VS bad. I like the 80-20 rules where 80% (ish) of hte time you eat good solid "healthy" foods but it's also totally ok for 20% (ish) to be total useful but yummy food.

Here are some great posts to read to get you started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal

and get a FOOD SCALE, crucial tool for most of us here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,195 Member
    @amandaschultz0505 I would suggest first sitting down and really becoming clear about your "why". Why do YOU want to lose weight? How would your life be different if you were to lose the weight? What would your "new" life look like. Ultimately, you need to lose weight for YOU. Without a clear and important 'why' (for you) you will be unlikely to develop the discipline to be successful. Ince you have your "why", there is lots of good info on this site re "how" ... and lots of good support for the journey.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    edited June 2019
    I am NO expert either, but the PCOS issues sound similar to the insulin resistance in diabetes. According to my dietitian and the handout she gave me, people with PCOS have a higher risk of developing diabetes. So your doctor MAY be indicating a moderation of carbs, which is a diabetic recommendation for insulin resistance. I am NOT saying you are at risk for diabetes but that there are correlations in insulin resistance between diabetes and PCOS, so possibly the management MAY be similar. That is the very little I know. What I do recommend is that you ask for doctor for a referral to a dietitian. They can help you set up an appropriate lifestyle eating plan for you. Best of luck. (And please excuse the all caps, but I wanted to emphasize the guesswork on my part. More medical advice from the doctor and/or dietitian would be advised.)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    One day at a time.