Caffeine pills anyone???

Options

Replies

• ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    Full-time job, full-time mom and a house to take care of? I raised 3 kids while working full-time and was exhausted all the time!
    I was in bed by 9:00 every night! Having said all that, I would stay away from the caffeine. Change up your diet, take vitamins, go to the doctor. Those pills are no good for you. I have 1 cup of coffee each day with sugar substitute and low fat milk-that is all the caffeine I need for now. I have always found that losing weight and eating right has helped improve my energy level. If you are already doing these things, well you just might be tired! Especially if the doctor can not find a reason for it!
    Good Luck!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    B12 > caffeine
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Full-time job, full-time mom and a house to take care of? I raised 3 kids while working full-time and was exhausted all the time!
    I was in bed by 9:00 every night! Having said all that, I would stay away from the caffeine. Change up your diet, take vitamins, go to the doctor. Those pills are no good for you. I have 1 cup of coffee each day with sugar substitute and low fat milk-that is all the caffeine I need for now. I have always found that losing weight and eating right has helped improve my energy level. If you are already doing these things, well you just might be tired! Especially if the doctor can not find a reason for it!
    Good Luck!!

My issue is I try to avoid dairy and artificial sweetener and I'm trying to limit sugars...it's not easy to make a great cup of coffee with those limits and black coffee is too bitter for me. I am not trying to avoid caffeine at this point in my journey. I try to only drink it in the am. But I'd love a more natural substitute to get my caffeine in the am if I can find it.
  • BHKLEIN
    BHKLEIN Posts: 104
    Options
    Good Luck!!

My issue is I try to avoid dairy and artificial sweetener and I'm trying to limit sugars...it's not easy to make a great cup of coffee with those limits and black coffee is too bitter for me. I am not trying to avoid caffeine at this point in my journey. I try to only drink it in the am. But I'd love a more natural substitute to get my caffeine in the am if I can find it.

Yep! I don't drink coffee, sugared beverages, etc.... some extra energy (if possible) would be REALLY nice!!!!
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I usually take green tea pills in the morning. But drinking green tea works too.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of carbs? Your diary is not open, but too many carbs and not enough protein will make you sleepy and lethargic.

Rigger
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    :noway:

I'm sure someone has already asked/said...Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? I would recommend that and vitamins.
  • chancock6
    Options
    I stay away from caffeine. It's very easy to abuse and addictive. Just best to avoid it. Vitamins and natural energy is much better for you than relying on caffeine.
  • mfalk22
    mfalk22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try eating a small chunk of hot peppers. That always wakes me up!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I usually take green tea pills in the morning. But drinking green tea works too.

I didn't know about the green tea pills but I may give drinking a couple cups of green tea in the am. Thanks. That would be a much better alternative. I can sweeten it with a little honey if needed.
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would try tracking your food diary for a day or two and pay attention to your calcium, potassium and magnesium intake. You may not be getting enough. Deficiency in B12 and Iron can also make you feel tired.

Caffeine is not a great solution. It does not actually give you energy, like nutrients do. It blocks the depressant receptors in your brain, so you just don't receive the messages that your body is sending you that it is tired. Your body still sends the messages though, so once the caffeine wears off your depressant receptors, you feel even more tired. So you drink more coffee, take more pills, and on and on.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough. OR, the nutrients you are getting are not being absorbed by your body because you are lacking in fats.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options
    I'm eatting well and plenty. I don't over load on carbs as they always make me feel slow. I eat lots of veggies, fruits and lean meats/chicken/fish 4-6 oz a meal only though, nuts like unsalted peanuts, etc... oh and natural applesause (LOVE THAT). But I am going to start taking a vitamin. I think that may be the issue: I may just not be getting enough in general (EDIT: vitamins that is not food).
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You stated in another post that your BMR is 1400. And that you generally eat 1200-1400.
    FYI - Your BMR is the amount they would feed you in a coma just to keep your heart, breathing, organ and brain functioning. People who do not have a lot of weight left to lose should not be eating below their BMR. Your body is starting to send you signals that you are under eating.

Please eat more food, don't just look for a vitamin pill.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    You stated in another post that your BMR is 1400. And that you generally eat 1200-1400.
    FYI - Your BMR is the amount they would feed you in a coma just to keep your heart, breathing, organ and brain functioning. People who do not have a lot of weight left to lose should not be eating below their BMR. Your body is starting to send you signals that you are under eating.

Nailed it.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options

Nailed it.

GENERALLY eat 1200-1400 not always... it depends on what I'm doing that day! Maybe you didn't see the generally part of my post. Plus I had 63-65 lbs to loose: I don't count that as not having a lot of weight to loose. I've lost a lot before I starting doing MFP. Also you happened to not mention TDEE. I re-evaluated my TDEE - 20% for my current weight and statisics now: 1344-1540 my TDEE- 20% comes in at. TDEE -20% is commonly used to calculate weight loss based on your own statistic. So that being said generally eatting 1200-1400 when my TDEE -20% comes in 1344-1540 is not far off and is usually right on target. Is that for everyone: definently not! Do I eat more some days than others: sure!!! Of course I do, do I eat less than 1200 NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!! So please do not come into a thread I start and tell me that I need to eat more!!! I don't judge you by what you eat or how much you eat. I only offer support and posting from my own personally experience. AND I did just bought some vitamins at lunch from the fitness store and they told me the same thing I just told you... I'll bet I'm feeling better in a few days! You better bet I'll be upping my cals when I get to maintence so just leave it be would you!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Yes but now you are about 10 pounds from goal weight and a 20% cut off TDEE is too much. You should be at 10%.
  • BHKLEIN
    Options
    I'm very happy at my TDEE - 20% right now. I'll probably up my cals to more like 1600-1800 to maintain. Maybe 1900-2000 when I start with my trainer in a month to work on toning and building some muscle. But right now, TDEE - 20% feels right to me and my body.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Your body feels so right that you are exhausted and researching caffeine pills.

Okay, whatever, I'm out.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Nailed it.

GENERALLY eat 1200-1400 not always... it depends on what I'm doing that day! Maybe you didn't see the generally part of my post. Plus I had 63-65 lbs to loose: I don't count that as not having a lot of weight to loose. I've lost a lot before I starting doing MFP. Also you happened to not mention TDEE. I re-evaluated my TDEE - 20% for my current weight and statisics now: 1344-1540 my TDEE- 20% comes in at. TDEE -20% is commonly used to calculate weight loss based on your own statistic. So that being said generally eatting 1200-1400 when my TDEE -20% comes in 1344-1540 is not far off and is usually right on target. Is that for everyone: definently not! Do I eat more some days than others: sure!!! Of course I do, do I eat less than 1200 NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!! So please do not come into a thread I start and tell me that I need to eat more!!! I don't judge you by what you eat or how much you eat. I only offer support and posting from my own personally experience. AND I did just bought some vitamins at lunch from the fitness store and they told me the same thing I just told you... I'll bet I'm feeling better in a few days! You better bet I'll be upping my cals when I get to maintence so just leave it be would you!

I didn't tell you anything. I agree with deksgrl.

So wait...you don't want people to make suggestions...or offer their opinions...then why do you post in a public forum?