Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    https://paintingthegreyarea.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/literacy-privilege/

I'm with commenter Greg Shmuel Selz

"...I need to also draw from jail to make clear why I disagree with your assertion that alternate grammatical systems are valid in English. Without a doubt there is a level of effective communication amongst those from a common dialectic culture, however, language is supposed to be a unifying quality of a culture and society, and when concepts about this unifying force differ, its unifying abilities are marginalized if not destroyed. I would like to live in a utopian world where people can possess and utilize whatever brand of language they embrace, but the fact of the matter is that any divergence in use of language within a society can only cause chaos.

...In summation, you are absolutely right without any shadow of a doubt that literacy amongst adults is no laughing matter."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    https://paintingthegreyarea.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/literacy-privilege/

I'm with commenter Greg Shmuel Selz

"...I need to also draw from jail to make clear why I disagree with your assertion that alternate grammatical systems are valid in English. Without a doubt there is a level of effective communication amongst those from a common dialectic culture, however, language is supposed to be a unifying quality of a culture and society, and when concepts about this unifying force differ, its unifying abilities are marginalized if not destroyed. I would like to live in a utopian world where people can possess and utilize whatever brand of language they embrace, but the fact of the matter is that any divergence in use of language within a society can only cause chaos.

...In summation, you are absolutely right without any shadow of a doubt that literacy amongst adults is no laughing matter."

Using "loose" for "lose", or vice versa, doesn't exactly cause chaos.

For my taste, too much abstraction, overdramatized, in this context.

A common language is important, but nitpicking details isn't mostly about that. Frankly, unfamiliar slang, ambiguous abbreviations, inappropriately used terminology**, and unfamiliar cultural references*** generate more misunderstandings and miscommunications around here than "loose" vs. "lose", IMO.

** I'm thinking of terms with both technical definitions plus popular usage that differs, for example: Binge, overtraining, HIIT, etc.

*** Such as tag lines from TV shows, or references to song lyrics, that aren't broadly familiar across ages and nations.

That said, I think OPs seeking advice who can't be bothered typing whole words or using punctuation, when they ask for advice involving nuance, are sorta shooting themselves in the foot. If they're not clear/coherent, I'm betting lots of people won't bother answering. Their loss.
This discussion has been closed.