I'm craving a whopper talk me out of it.

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »
    What are they putting in a whopper in the US to make it that many calories. I'm in the UK and a whopper is 540 calories, and it's 280 for a medium fries so you can have a whole meal for 820 calories.

Using the customizer on the American and UK BK sites, the UK's Mayonnaise is magically low in fat - just two grams for adding or taking it off. For the US, it takes 18g's off when subtracting mayo. The beef patty is about 2g's of fat more in the US version.

Do the customizers indicate portion sizes for the ingredients? My first suspicion would be that the UK recipe for a whopper just has a lot less mayo on it, which would be easy to do, b/c in the US it's a big gloppy mess of mayo dumped on there.

I really wish they didn't gloop mayo on everything here! I usually wind up removing the bun, wiping as much off as I can with a napkin, and still have plenty left.

Yeah, I just usually ask them to leave it off altogether if I remember. Not for the calories, but because I'm not a big fan of mayo to begin with. A thin scraping on a BLT or chicken or turkey sandwich, or a minimal amount to hold together a "salad"-style (tuna, egg, chicken, etc.) sandwich filling, and that's about all the use I have for mayo. I buy the smallest jar I can find and usually end up throwing it out after a year or two barely half-used. (Don't judge. Commercial mayo keeps a long time if you don't double dip, i.e., don't stick a used spoon or knife back into it. When I was a kid, we didn't even keep our mayo in the refrigerator, and none of us died. The only reasons I keep it in the refrigerator now is I have more fridge space than pantry space and cold mayo is marginally less disgusting than room temperature mayo.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has said it already, but sleep on it. If you still can't live without it tomorrow, work it in. Maybe get in an extra workout as a balance. Or make a burger at home, and you'll know exact calories and where they're coming from and how to balance your day around it. Plus, if you're a control freak like me, the power is in your hands that way. [maniacal laughter]

Spoiler Alert - OP ordered the whopper, ate two bites, threw it away, went to Five Guys , ordered and ate something that likely had significantly more calories.

So much ado over nothing it seems....

At least Five Guys actually tastes good :smiley:

But even if you're not worried about calories or carbs, you may as well toss the bun, because it turns into a soggy mess by the first bite even if you order your burger without sauces of any kind. Personally, I prefer their hotdogs.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    DrusiliaDD wrote: »
    What are they putting in a whopper in the US to make it that many calories. I'm in the UK and a whopper is 540 calories, and it's 280 for a medium fries so you can have a whole meal for 820 calories.

Using the customizer on the American and UK BK sites, the UK's Mayonnaise is magically low in fat - just two grams for adding or taking it off. For the US, it takes 18g's off when subtracting mayo. The beef patty is about 2g's of fat more in the US version.

Do the customizers indicate portion sizes for the ingredients? My first suspicion would be that the UK recipe for a whopper just has a lot less mayo on it, which would be easy to do, b/c in the US it's a big gloppy mess of mayo dumped on there.

I really wish they didn't gloop mayo on everything here! I usually wind up removing the bun, wiping as much off as I can with a napkin, and still have plenty left.

Yeah, I just usually ask them to leave it off altogether if I remember. Not for the calories, but because I'm not a big fan of mayo to begin with. A thin scraping on a BLT or chicken or turkey sandwich, or a minimal amount to hold together a "salad"-style (tuna, egg, chicken, etc.) sandwich filling, and that's about all the use I have for mayo. I buy the smallest jar I can find and usually end up throwing it out after a year or two barely half-used. (Don't judge. Commercial mayo keeps a long time if you don't double dip, i.e., don't stick a used spoon or knife back into it. When I was a kid, we didn't even keep our mayo in the refrigerator, and none of us died. The only reasons I keep it in the refrigerator now is I have more fridge space than pantry space and cold mayo is marginally less disgusting than room temperature mayo.)

These containers are awesome! No mess, no contamination, and it's easy to get just a little bit. I tend to agree with you - less is more when it comes to mayo.
    5ch93y7qvkht.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has said it already, but sleep on it. If you still can't live without it tomorrow, work it in. Maybe get in an extra workout as a balance. Or make a burger at home, and you'll know exact calories and where they're coming from and how to balance your day around it. Plus, if you're a control freak like me, the power is in your hands that way. [maniacal laughter]

Spoiler Alert - OP ordered the whopper, ate two bites, threw it away, went to Five Guys , ordered and ate something that likely had significantly more calories.

So much ado over nothing it seems....

At least Five Guys actually tastes good :smiley:

But even if you're not worried about calories or carbs, you may as well toss the bun, because it turns into a soggy mess by the first bite even if you order your burger without sauces of any kind. Personally, I prefer their hotdogs.

omg their hotdogs....drools
  • mdmess2013
    mdmess2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could always get it, cut it in half and immediately throw the other half away, and satisfy your craving for under 400 calories...
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I spent the first 31 years of my life hating mustard, got some on a burger by accident a few months back and BAM THAT STUFF IS DELICIOUS! Now it is my go-to for flavor without a bunch of empty calories on a lot of foods. Makes my turkey meatloaf a zinger.

I'm not a big fan of any kind of mustard usually, especially Dijon, but Walmart has a dill mustard that is fantastic!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I love mustard.

Will recommend: https://mustardmuseum.com/

Stopped there once coming back from Spring Green: https://americanplayers.org/. Wish it was closer, but I suppose I need an excuse to go to Wisconsin for a road trip.

I hated mustard as a kid (I hated all condiments and when we did the occasional fast food would get my hamburger plain with nothing on it except the bun). I learned to like it with spicy brown mustards and dijon, but now like the plain yellow stuff too, although I tend to have a variety of the others at home to use.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'd just go for a run to earn the calories and then eat the whopper...
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What I hate is when the bun and the burger start slipping away from each other. Hate that.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    mdmess2013 wrote: »
    You could always get it, cut it in half and immediately throw the other half away, and satisfy your craving for under 400 calories...

That’s not cute.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options

If you need to treat food decisions like choice of college, buying a house or a car, I think you've wandered into the unmanageable side of dieting.
    That an extra workout could balance is why - a small dietary indiscretion matters little in the long term compared to just having a relationship where you can keep them under control. Try as I might, I can workout or wait long enough to force that stupid Bluetooth package in my car to work with music and not just for hands free calls that I never make.

...Because giving a little extra consideration to a 700+ calorie meal that you're stressed enough over to make an entire post is somehow comparable to choosing a mortgage.

OP said talk them out of it. That was my attempt.

• SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

If you need to treat food decisions like choice of college, buying a house or a car, I think you've wandered into the unmanageable side of dieting.
    That an extra workout could balance is why - a small dietary indiscretion matters little in the long term compared to just having a relationship where you can keep them under control. Try as I might, I can workout or wait long enough to force that stupid Bluetooth package in my car to work with music and not just for hands free calls that I never make.

...Because giving a little extra consideration to a 700+ calorie meal that you're stressed enough over to make an entire post is somehow comparable to choosing a mortgage.

I appreciate it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Now it's turning into a condiment conversation, so all is good.

Honestly, the SAD condiment vocabulary is discouraging (though I do have a soft spot in my heart for those hottest (is it "Diablo"? I forget) packets at Taco Bell with the snarky subtitles).

I lummesome ketchup, various mustard, salsa and pico de gallo . . . but tsatziki, gochujang chile sauce, peanut sauces, tahini, and more: So many condiments, such a short gustatory life!

Agreed, but mustard in and of itself has so many varieties.

I read a fun article a while back about why fancy ketchup has never caught on (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/09/06/the-ketchup-conundrum).

Also salsa and even sriracha kicking ketchup's kitten: https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/10/actually-salsa-dethroned-ketchup-20-years-ago/309844/.

I agree about the varieties, though, although for a burger my main alternative preference is just giardiniera (which is also the best alternative option on a turkey sandwich -- Potbelly's with pickle, tomato, lettuce, onion and peppers on the side). Impulse buying spicy sauces is a temptation of mine, and tahini has many uses.
  • SeanD2407
    Options
    FML.... work is bringing in pizza today for a mandatory meeting. I brought chicken, asparagus and roasted bell peppers thinking id get a nice under 330 lunch in but now I'll have no choice to add a square of pizza or two probably at no less than 180 a slice for those thin cut squares right?
  • SeanD2407
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Now it's turning into a condiment conversation, so all is good.

Honestly, the SAD condiment vocabulary is discouraging (though I do have a soft spot in my heart for those hottest (is it "Diablo"? I forget) packets at Taco Bell with the snarky subtitles).

I lummesome ketchup, various mustard, salsa and pico de gallo . . . but tsatziki, gochujang chile sauce, peanut sauces, tahini, and more: So many condiments, such a short gustatory life!

Most BBQ log at 70 cals for 2 tablespoons.. seems less when weighed in grams.

I use yogurt dressings or salsas for low cal options.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I realize that I am a couple of days late to this, but just eat the Whopper. Or get a Whopper Jr. Life is too short. In my experience deprivation leads to binging, so personally I would have the Whopper and then just move forward.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Needing to sleep on it is where I draw a comparison to buying a house or car. I don't consider sleeping on something a little extra consideration, would you say sleeping on a house purchase is just a little extra consideration? If so, we're agree on the values, but just have different semantics.
    I think ultimately a person will need to learn to make decisions about food faster than that. Call it dietary paralysis of analysis. The feeling that one needs rigid behaviors and ways to justify or not justify 700 calories at a particular time are far more likely to sink dietary success than a particular 700 calories, or even just one day in a lifetime eating a 10,000 calorie challenge.

Though your final comment might elucidate us at cross purposes. You're trying to talk OP out of the food. I'm suggesting based on having a goal of learning how to eat long term.