Loving, but critical husband

I love my husband, and he loves me, but dang that man does not know when to shut up or how to use his words properly. He’s got a heart of gold but he does not know how to say things sometimes.

Our baby is 8 months old. Prepregnancy I was like 145/147, which is where I was when we first met. I’m 160/163 right now. I have gained and lost over the years, but have never been toned - because I’ve never gotten into strength training. At my skinniest (our wedding) I was probably like 135 but still in the photos I can see like in my arms I’m soft with no definition. I am considering joining the CrossFit right by my house to learn how to lift and build muscle, but anyway...I digress.

This is the end of the first week I’ve started towards getting on track after baby. Last night he told me “you’re never gonna lose the weight riding that [recumbent bike]. You need to get out and sweat.” I was like “I have gained and lost before. I lost 20 lbs before I met you” to which he said “yea and gained 40 back” (not true!). He told me that I don’t really want to lose this weight, that I’m not dedicated enough. That if it’s too hard I don’t want to do it. That I’ve never been toned because I don’t get outside off my butt in the heat and work out. 🙄 THEN he said “why do you think people in the gym can only get so big and toned?” At that point I checked out because that’s bull lol. There are tons of people who are toned and trim working out in a gym ?!

And yeah, at this point, if it’s too much of a hassle with my schedule, I’m not gonna stick with it. I have a needy baby who’s mouth is exploding with teeth and doesn’t like naps, so yeah, 33 minutes on a recumbent bike burning 250 calories is a good payout for me until I can do better. And I am sweating when it’s over!! My goal is to lose a lot of the fat weight first and then learn to lift and build muscle by being coached at the gym. I’m on a much more generous than in the past 1500ish calories a day (1 lb a week). Used to be on 1200 back in the day when I would get on the ball. 29 y/o and 5’5”.

Anyway, if I’m wrong about my workout plan then by all means, let me know but give me some solid reasoning please. I’m not looking for advice about my husband, I just want to know if I’m coming at this weight loss all wrong this go-round.

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member

As far as your comments about the bike, if you mean I won't lose any weight using that bike, please explain. I don't see how that is possible. If it's helping to put me in a calorie deficit, the weight should start to come off, yes? I don't expect to become a bikini competitor on it (wouldn't that be lovely though?? haha) but I was looking for an effective way to maintain a calorie deficit and get workouts in after baby goes to bed. I agree I can start doing some body weight exercises (donkey kicks, fire hydrants, maybe some russian twists, push-ups hahaaaa I suck at those rn). I'm thinking if I get down to about 145 that's probably the point at which I will join a gym and get on the weight machines. Thoughts?

Oh I didn't mean that you absolutely wouldn't lose weight on the bike, but like walking, it's not a fierce "burner." For instance, I can do a lot of walking but I didn't get a good calorie burn until I did Couch to 5K. Just the act of jogging over walking made a noticeable difference for me. Any exercise that isn't upright will burn about 20% less then sitting up. It's certainly not a waste though. Anything you can do will help with the calorie deficit.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Do whatever works for you. As long as you maintain a calorie deficit consistently over a period of time you WILL lose weight. A healthy loss rate is max 2lbs per week, but this will vary as you go on and you may go up, down or stay the same also. So, you don't even have to get on the bike if you can just eat fewer calories, but there are lots of benefits to exercise so you should do as much as your schedule allows. Keep track of your measurements and take regular pics, good luck!