Yoga: cardio or strength ?

I'm doing yoga for beginners at home. Did it a while ago, before my logging rutually, and don't know what it should go as. Cal loss doesn't come in when I input it. Would you consider it strength or is there a way to figure out how many cals are burned?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    It depends on the type of yoga you do.
    some of it is more cardio, some is more strength, some is a good mix of both.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    There is a yoga entry under cardio. You will be disappointed, but it is probably accurate for beginners at home. We just aren't used to using our muscles that way!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What's meant by "yoga" varies pretty widely, so it's hard to say how many calories you burn. If you're doing a very gentle sort of yoga, your calorie burn for it is not going to be very high. On the other hand, if you're doing "flow" yoga or another form with a lot of movement, you'll burn more calories. However, yoga in general isn't going to burn a whole lot as compared to many other exercises.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,417 Member
    Yoga can be strength. As my weight trainer says,”This girl came to me with muscles”. Don’t discount yoga and I won’t discount weights. 😊
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Yoga can be strength. As my weight trainer says,”This girl came to me with muscles”. Don’t discount yoga and I won’t discount weights. 😊

Muscles =/= strength.

Muscles means one is capable of strength.

There are men half my age and much bigger than me & half as strong on most lifts then me.

I like yoga, but it's a very limiting low rung measurement of strength. It doesn't mean it's not challenging, just doesn't require much force compared to other means on the ladder higher up.

OP I seriously wouldn't pay attention to calories burned on yoga. Pay attention to the trend of your weight loss/gain and if need be, simply adjust your caloric goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Muscles =/= strength.

Muscles means one is capable of strength.

There are men half my age and much bigger than me & half as strong on most lifts then me.

I like yoga, but it's a very limiting low rung measurement of strength. It doesn't mean it's not challenging, just doesn't require much force compared to other means on the ladder higher up.

OP I seriously wouldn't pay attention to calories burned on yoga. Pay attention to the trend of your weight loss/gain and if need be, simply adjust your caloric goal.

It really depends on the level and type of yoga, as has been stated. It can be as good as any other bodyweight program, which will keep most people happy.

And I would imagine that the trainer in question was commenting on strength, rather than visible muscles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you’re asking how to enter it in MFP, select Cardio then search for Yoga.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2019
    Panys_mom wrote: »
    I'm doing yoga for beginners at home. Did it a while ago, before my logging rutually, and don't know what it should go as. Cal loss doesn't come in when I input it. Would you consider it strength or is there a way to figure out how many cals are burned?

For me, yoga - moderate or intense, is strictly flexibility, balance & coordination, not cardio nor strength.