Keto week 1 down, 12.8 lbs down!

Options
Panys_mom
Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
After talking with my doctors and coming up with keto as the best plan, I am thrilled to announce that with week 1 down, I have gone from 285 to 272.2.
Was hoping for maybe 3 pounds, never expected 12.

Replies

• lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    very solid reply. I 100% agree with this posters comments.
    Remoth wrote: »
    Congratulations on the loss! However, dont expect that trend to continue. You have lost a lot of water weight from a massive change in diet, most of which would come right back if you go back to your old ways. It is not possible for you to lose 12 lbs of fat in one week. That would need you to be in a deficit of roughly 42,000 calories. Which is more than most people eat in a week, obese or not.

All I'm trying to get across is dont be disappointed if next week you only lose 1 lb, or none at all, or even gain a little back. A lot of factors are in play here.

Also, just because you had a good whoosh of body weight loss over one week, this does not mean keto is better than any other plan. Just to point that out. Many people experience large weight loss in the first couple weeks after a large diet change. Mostly due to water loss because of sodium levels, carb intake and increased physical activity.

• sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to hear you had a great first week! A lot of times starting is the hardest part, so congrats and I hope you are as proud of yourself as you should be. It's always great to see hard work pay off on the scale, so I would be as over-the-moon about it as you are! It is true you might not see another week like this on the scale for a long time, maybe never again but that doesn't take away how great you should feel about a successful week 1.

Try to note other reasons you feel good about the week, and hold on to those when the scale doesn't show as much progress. Either way, you've done great and best of luck going forward!
  • kibrakoons52
    kibrakoons52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm starting my 3rd week. The first week I lost 4lbs and then I've gained it back plus a lb, so I weigh more than I did in the start. I have done everything right and only had 1 day I didn't eat the greatest because we were celebrating my son and grandson's bdays and Father's Day. I did my first CrossFit class with my stepdaughter this morning so I'm hoping that will help. I like the diet but I'm getting frustrated.
  • kaitlyngoodrich
    kaitlyngoodrich Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I could not believe how much water weight I had when I first started. The weekly number of pounds loss may not be that dramatic every week due to the water weight being depleted so do not let that get you down! I will say when I stalled for a little bit I had to really take a look at what I was eating, and I realized I was not taking in enough calories so make sure to give your body the energy it needs.

• squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Keto is awesome! I’m about a month and a week in. I lost a pound a day for 15 days then have slowly gone down 3 more lbs to a total 18 lbs loss! Mine was water weight initially too. Just keep it up and after the initial stall it will continue.
  • Panys_mom
    Options
    Cico?

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Panys_mom wrote: »
    Cico?

Calories in vs. calories out
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. That is a great start. The most important thing about any way of eating is that you enjoy it, it is sustainable and it keeps you in a calorie deficit. A lot of people do really well on keto as they find the foods are very satiating. But also others do very well eating carbs as well. It just depends on the individual.

All weight loss depends on you eating at a calorie deficit (CICO) consistantly and whatever helps you do that is up to you. Keep going with what suits you and is working for you.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Did you workout or was it just the lack of carbs? I lost 7lbs my first week of keto last time I did it, cant wait to see what I loose this week
  • Panys_mom
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Both. I made sure to avoid most carbs. Did have a bagel and some cereal but I do work out. I made sure to buy a food scale, and I'm sure that had a big impact on my results.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!