Did I totally screw it all up?

Last week and this weekend, i went way over my calorie limit almost everyday. I drank a lot of alcohol and ate a lot of junk food. I’ve probably eaten close to 2500-3000 cals everyday last week. I worked out a lot, but that doesn’t negate what I ate.
This week, I feel soooo “blah.” I feel bloated, and it even just looks like I’ve gained a ton of weight. I haven’t even weighed myself.. I’m scared to... but my belly is bloated and it even looks like my legs and arms are bigger than before?! I feel heavy and sluggish. Did I just totally undo all the progress I’ve made?! I am feeling awful about myself. Do you think I totally screwed it up?

Replies

• Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    We all fall down from time to time. Write down how you feel today, figure out why you fell off the horse, then get yourself up, dust yourself off and try again. You only fail if you quit. Even though swimsuit season is here, the reality is life is not a sprint, a healthy lifestyle is a life long process. Some of us are better at this than others, but the fact that you are trying and recognize that you made a mistake puts you ahead of 70-75% of the other people out there. You got this. But a better tomorrow does NOT start tomorrow, it starts HERE and NOW. TODAY.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    I've done this for the last two weeks. I've gained 4 lbs, but the only thing I can do is get back on track, up my water to try and flush things out, and re-motivate myself! You can too!
  • fatmonsters
    fatmonsters Posts: 30 Member
    Last week and this weekend, i went way over my calorie limit almost everyday. I drank a lot of alcohol and ate a lot of junk food. I’ve probably eaten close to 2500-3000 cals everyday last week. I worked out a lot, but that doesn’t negate what I ate.
    This week, I feel soooo “blah.” I feel bloated, and it even just looks like I’ve gained a ton of weight. I haven’t even weighed myself.. I’m scared to... but my belly is bloated and it even looks like my legs and arms are bigger than before?! I feel heavy and sluggish. Did I just totally undo all the progress I’ve made?! I am feeling awful about myself. Do you think I totally screwed it up?

This is exactly me. I was looking for some inspiration out of my funk and feeling self defeated for having eaten and drank so much the past week and gained a few pounds, and found your post. Let’s not give up! Just get back to doing what we know how to do... it’s a journey.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Not at all. It depends on your size and activity level, but if that calorie level is accurate, you at most, probably gained around a pound of fat. Obviously that's not ideal but you can reverse that by getting back on course. A lot of what you are feeling is probably related to water retention. The scale will look nasty for the next handful of days but if you are back on track that will go away quickly.

Just to give you an idea, I've gained as much as 5 pounds in 2 days from water retention, and then lost it all and a pound more 3-4 days later. So don't let how you are feeling and appearing at the moment dictate what you think of your progress.

We all have detours along the way. Nobody loses weight in a completely straight line or wins every battle. So focus not on the ones you have lost in the past, but the ones you will win in the future.
  • ducttapebowtie
    ducttapebowtie Posts: 10 Member
    The fact that you know you feel better when you eat differently means you can still get back on the wagon. You got this! You've only screwed it up if you give up.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Every day is a new start. Forget about the past week and move on.
  • Westieok
    Westieok Posts: 13 Member
    It’s over. You’ve learned that overeating makes you feel bad that’s an important lesson. Just get back on track, it’s a whole new day!
  • jpapa96
    jpapa96 Posts: 9 Member
    I generally eat low carb. I recently took a three week vacation where I ate and drank just about anything I wanted. I recorded at least 20,000 steps a day, but when I returned, my weight was up ~15 pounds. I went back to my way of eating and 7 days later, I was two pounds under my starting weight. Water retention plays with the scale, and it is easy to get frustrated, but it will reverse course.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    This is what I do when this happens...don't step on the scale just yet. Get back to eating right and drink lots of water. Chances are that you consumed lots of sodium if you feel bloated. Step back on the scale after a week of this detox. I feel that if you step on now, you will just get discouraged.
  • klovesd84
    klovesd84 Posts: 46 Member
    Nah, you didn’t screw it all up. My husband had a tonsillectomy five days ago so I’ve been cooking a lot of comfort foods and eating a lot of ice cream. To support him of course! Haha. I just weighed myself and it looks like I’m up 5 pounds. I’m sure it’s a lot of water weight. I decided to get back on track today. No biggie.