How long does it take to notice a physical difference - can I do anything more?

Options
I've been training with my PT now for almost 2 months (I know this isn't a long time at all). We do 2 full body sessions a week and then I do an additional full body session on my own. Unfortunately due to childcare/work I can't get in the gym anymore than 3 times a week. Occasionally I can get a 4th session in.

I am naturally very slim, but hold weight around my middle - I think I have some intolerance going on as I get incredibly bloated by the end of the day (not a good look!)

How long should it take before I notice a physical difference in muscle tone? The scales aren't moving and I'm doing everything I can to eat more and hit my macros. I have always struggled to gain weight though.

We are doing all the compound movements - squats, deadlifts, leg press, chest press, etc and my strength is improving as my lifts are getting heavier.

I'm having protein shakes, taking maltodextrin to help give me extra carbs for my training and eating well (ok..on a weekend I like a treat!)

Is there anything else I should be doing at home in between my workouts to aid my progress?

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Recover as much as possible. Get adequate amount of sleep, foam roll, stretch, even a light walk for 20 to 30 minutes helps aid recovery.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is fine and there is no way to accelerate it. The rest part of the cycle is just as important as the exercise part.

Are you getting enough protein? .8 grams per lb of body weight is a reasonable ballpark while weight training. Also, do you have fat to lose? A fat layer will hide muscle development for some time. As you said, you've only been at it for a couple of months.
  • cattyw
    cattyw Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    What you are doing is fine and there is no way to accelerate it. The rest part of the cycle is just as important as the exercise part.

Are you getting enough protein? .8 grams per lb of body weight is a reasonable ballpark while weight training. Also, do you have fat to lose? A fat layer will hide muscle development for some time. As you said, you've only been at it for a couple of months.

I only weigh 122lb and am averaging around 100g protein.

I have a fat layer around my stomach! Definitely no abs in sight 😂

I just don’t understand why the scales aren’t changing as I’m trying hard.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I hate to be Captain Obvious but the scales aren't changing because you're not eating enough! ;)

You may very well be in a recomp mode though. A lot of people like doing it that way because they don't want to put on fat. It works, but it's slow. Here's an extensive thread talking about it

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

Nobody can really answer how long it will take because it varies significantly from person to person based on genetics, workout intensity, rest periods, diet, etc. That said, two months isn't enough time.

Also, be sure to use something besides just a scale to help you track progress. Calipers are cheap and easy to use, and you can use a tape measure to quantify muscle growth. If you're recomping, ideally your weight will remain constant while you lose fat and gain muscle. Again, it's a very slow process.

If you'd prefer to go into a bulk then you'd try and gain about 0.5-1.5% of weight a month. So if you weigh 100 pounds you'd try and gain a pound a month. Some of that will likely be fat though so you have to be willing to live with that.

As to how to do it, there's a thread for hard gainers on how to eat things that are very calorie dense to help you gain weight. Here's the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cattyw wrote: »

As a woman, you really can't expect to gain much more than a lb or so of muscle per month, and that would be eating in a surplus and accepting some fat gains along with it.

If you are eating at maintenance and basically doing a recomp, that is a long term, slow process. People work for years to perfect body composition. You really need to give it at least 6 months, at least, to start to "see" obvious change.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Protein sounds fine. At 122 what is your height and BMI? Recomp is slow. You can also so a slight slow cut while training and reduce BF a little. But yeah, give it more time.

As far as the scale changing, when I am weight training the scale moves very slow. If it hasn't moved in 2 months, you are eating maintenance calories.
  • cattyw
    Options

Protein sounds fine. At 122 what is your height and BMI? Recomp is slow. You can also so a slight slow cut while training and reduce BF a little. But yeah, give it more time.

As far as the scale changing, when I am weight training the scale moves very slow. If it hasn't moved in 2 months, you are eating maintenance calories.

I'm 5ft7 so my BMI is low (19). I've been underweight practically all my life, but healthy (had 2 babies, eat well, etc) so it must be my genetics.

I think this is going to be a long process for me but I will persevere. I have my measurements being taken by my PT today so fingers crossed there will have been some growth!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If the scales aren't moving you aren't in a surplus. Are you weighing and measuring all your food, consistently? If you are still having issues add more liquid calories to your day as insurance and hopefully the scale will start moving. I started off the same stats as you, thought I was eating enough but my TDEE estimates were off I needed to go over 3000 cals to start gaining. Keep at it.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Curious, in how short of a duration should it take? And once you “get there,” then what? Quit?
  • cattyw
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If the scales aren't moving you aren't in a surplus. Are you weighing and measuring all your food, consistently? If you are still having issues add more liquid calories to your day as insurance and hopefully the scale will start moving. I started off the same stats as you, thought I was eating enough but my TDEE estimates were off I needed to go over 3000 cals to start gaining. Keep at it.

I don't weight everything religiously. Where I work we have an amazing facility for food and it is served to us on a plate, so trying to weigh it out would be awkward. I know this sounds like an excuse. However, for the first time yesterday I did weight everything out and was surprised at some of the calorie content of what I was having.

Would I be able to add you as a friend to see what you eat to get some inspiration please?