8 weeks in at gym & no weight loss...

Options
I know the saying "slow and steady wins the race", but what am I doing wrong?

I do 30 minutes cardio 3 days a week with doing 40 minutes of strength. the other two days (i only work out 5 days a week), I do 60 minutes cardio. I have been doing this for 7 full weeks, today is just my start to 8 weeks, and I stepped on the scale and it says no weight lost.....

I track my food and never eat back my workout cals, and I have taken sugar out of my lifestyle. I only do startchy carbs in the morning and the rest of the day have it protien, fat and produce with dairy. I'm eating between 1200-1400 cals, even though it tells me 1700. Am I doing anything wrong?

Replies

• andreascarff
    andreascarff Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Everything you've listed is pretty arbitrary in terms of weight loss. The only thing that matters is how many calories you're eating. Where that comes from and when you eat them does not matter. How do you know you're eating 1200 to 1400 calories? Are you using a food scale?

Yes we have an "older" type of scale, not digital, which was my husbands grandmothers lmao.
  • andreascarff
    Options
    This tips in this chart might help you.

m1b6cl4fw6lx.jpeg

Just called my doctor, lets see what we can rule out!!
  • bgeorgie13
    bgeorgie13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do your clothes feel the same? Are you taking your measurements (bust, waist, hips, biceps, thighs) and progress pictures? The scales don't always tell the full story.
  • JAMiah7997
    JAMiah7997 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you weigh yourself, be sure to do so first thing in the morning prior to eating, etc. That will be your true weight. Honestly, we should ditch the scale, but we have to be able to track our weight. It's more so about how you fit your clothes etc. I'm sure you've lost inches. Keep fighting the good fight.
  • andreascarff
    Options
    No one has asked the most obvious questions... how much do you weigh and how much are you trying to lose?
    Also, there may have been a loss in those 7 weeks and you just happened to weigh in on a “retaining water for whatever reason/bodies are weird” day. Don’t give up!

Right now I weigh 236 pounds. My doctor wants me to lose 100 pounds.
    bgeorgie13 wrote: »
    Do your clothes feel the same? Are you taking your measurements (bust, waist, hips, biceps, thighs) and progress pictures? The scales don't always tell the full story.

Yes been taking measurements every 4 week I have it set to, but I try to take daily pictures at the gym. My clothes fit a bit loosely but I guess for this amount of time I've been at it, it's better than nothing.

As for my diary, I don't mind sharing it, but some days I do not have marked off, basically I eat the same thing all time. I will get it up as soon as I can for sure for you guys!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    No one has asked the most obvious questions... how much do you weigh and how much are you trying to lose?

No one asked the "obvious" questions because they're not relevant to the base level discussion; as long as someone is eating at a caloric deficit, they will lose weight regardless of current weight or goal. OP believes she's eating 1200-1400 calories AND working out 5 days a week - if both these were true, only if she was extremely underweight would this result in no weight loss. Goal would still be irrelevant as this is pure science.

OP;

Tracking errors are common mistakes. In this case there are the usual suspects, mostly due to lack of weighing;

Counting based on quantity (2 slices), size (medium banana), and volume (tsp, tbs, etc).

Fortunately this is easily correctable; pick up a cheap scale that measures in grams and you'll be on your way to success. Good luck!

And the advice depends on if the bolded is true or not. You can’t assume this stuff.

But what you actually asked was how much the OP weighs and how much they have to lose. Neither of these has anything to do with whether their logging is accurate.