8 weeks in at gym & no weight loss...

Options
2»

Replies

• mike_rom
    mike_rom Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This is one reason why i HATE the scale. I feel like it is not a good indication of health (to an extent, obviously 300 pounds is not going to be healthy under an circumstance), or your progress. I am a big believer in measurements, and simply how you look in that mirror. Take progress pics!!!! You could weigh the same, but look COMPLETELY different... you're just not noticing it
  • stephaniezinone
    stephaniezinone Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No one has asked the most obvious questions... how much do you weigh and how much are you trying to lose?

No one asked the "obvious" questions because they're not relevant to the base level discussion; as long as someone is eating at a caloric deficit, they will lose weight regardless of current weight or goal. OP believes she's eating 1200-1400 calories AND working out 5 days a week - if both these were true, only if she was extremely underweight would this result in no weight loss. Goal would still be irrelevant as this is pure science.

OP;

Tracking errors are common mistakes. In this case there are the usual suspects, mostly due to lack of weighing;

Counting based on quantity (2 slices), size (medium banana), and volume (tsp, tbs, etc).

Fortunately this is easily correctable; pick up a cheap scale that measures in grams and you'll be on your way to success. Good luck!

And the advice depends on if the bolded is true or not. You can’t assume this stuff.

SMH

I assumed the OP is not a 4'7" 50 y/o 100 lb sedentary female AND EVEN THEN if she was eating 1200 calories and working out she'd STILL likely be losing weight (TDEE ~1,100 absent exercise). Based on her picture I hope my "assumptions" are in line.

Man, I agree with the advice you gave a “spot on” now that we have more information. Aren’t you glad you have more information? Oof.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    totally agree with @apullum you must weight EVERYTHING. No cups, teaspoons, etc.

A digital scale these days you can pick up from the supermarket or KMart or any cheap store for like $10. No need to get the fancy ones.

You'd be better off getting a new scale and weighing everything and making sure you are choosing entries in the database that are relatively accurate, such as with fruit/veg choose the USDA entries.

Also, when you scan a barcode on bread for example and it tells you x calories per slice and each slice is x grams - when you actually weigh the slice - it will RARELY be the whatever grams the packet tells you. So you need to also weigh all your scanned barcode stuff too.

PS - sorry but it's not muscle.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Based on the info you've provided throughout the thread, it seems like there's a chance you might be taking in more calories than you realize. This article really helped me when I was trying to really understand how much I was eating: http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/ It's blunt but really genuinely helpful (and, honestly, amusing).
  • stephaniezinone
    stephaniezinone Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am so extremely thankful for everyone's advice. Extremely thankful!! I will look into a digital scale, and I will make sure to measure everything properly. Sorry if I started anything, just needed advice. Thank you so much again.

I feel bad that I was part of it. Definitely not my intention. The advice from apullum was great and I hope you figure it out!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I am so extremely thankful for everyone's advice. Extremely thankful!! I will look into a digital scale, and I will make sure to measure everything properly. Sorry if I started anything, just needed advice. Thank you so much again.

Don't worry, folks have squabbles around here all the time. You didn't start anything :)

Also, since you seem to like peanut butter with your oatmeal, you might try adding PB2/powdered peanut butter instead. You still get the peanut butter flavor and protein, but much fewer calories. Assuming you're getting enough fat in your diet already, then it could be a good option to cut some calories.

I love PB2..it's a great option!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that you are not eating within your calorie range consistently as you are not tracking consistently. Many days are blank or only breakfast is logged and when you do track, you are not eating enough calories - so you are probably eating too little and then eating too much. I completely get it. I started at about the same weight as you and did not track when I had a bad day. ALWAYS TRACK EVERYTHING - EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BAD DAY. It helps keep you on track and you can also take a realistic look at how you are eating when you fall off. I DO NOT have ANY trigger foods in the house or I will eat them. Purge your house of all food you cannot control yourself around. BTW, your doctor is being unrealistic. Your doctor has obviously not looked at the research. Most dieters can only keep off about 10% of their original weight long term unless they have bariatric surgery. I am at round two of weight loss and am finally below my lowest weight from 4 years ago. I still have 27 more pounds to go, where I will stay as that is realistic for me. That will bring me to 170. I was at 163 six years ago, but it was too difficult for me to maintain. The more often you lose and gain and lose, the worse your metabolism is affected. Look at what they learned from Biggest Loser. Most people regain when they try to go too low. Make your own weight loss goal. Keep working at it. Don't get discouraged. Log, read info online to help you, work out, and take it one day at a time!