The Perfect Human Diet

Options
This documentary came out a few years ago, and I'm sure there has been discussion on it here on MFP in the past. But, has anyone else seen it recently? I just watched it on Hulu and it was very interesting. It examines the human diet from an evolutionary perspective. Basically, meat, fish, green vegetables, berries and nuts are what we ate for 2 million years and what made us evolve into humans that we are today. When wheat, sugar, and milk was introduced, our health became much worse and we developed modern diseases (diabetes, obesity, etc). So in a proverbial nutshell:

Meat, fish, green veggies, nuts, a little fruit- GOOD
carbohydrates, wheat, grains, sugar, salt, milk- BAD

Opinions?

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The problem with the idea of an optimal human diet is that it basically tries to extract human beings from their environment like they are lab experiments in isolation.

But a diet is better or worse for humans, according to research, depending on the level of sunlight, heat and cold, time of year, activity level, genetics, gut bacteria, and so on.

There is no optimal for everyone, all the time, you know? And anthropological evidence backs this up, finding extremely varied diets existing around the world thousands of years ago, from complete vegetarian diets to nearly full carnivore style diets.

Although there also does seem to be research also showing a number of difficulties with how our bodies react to a lot of modern diets, in a variety of ways, so I wouldn’t argue that there aren’t problems, currently.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Thanks for mentioning this program. I love this type of documentary because they make me think. Going to watch it now.

I only lasted 33 minutes into it. It wasn't presented as well as most other like documentaries and couldn't keep my interest. Oh well. 😐