• showjefb
    showjefb Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    showjefb wrote: »
    nooboots wrote: »
    Of course calorie counting is not 100% accurate, unless you're carrying around a science lab with you all day you're not going to know what you're expending or intaking to that level of accuracy.

But the hand portion thing/eye balling thing/ guesstimating thing is a recipe for disaster. Its why someone like me has got to this size in the first place despite eating 'healthy'.

If you have gained a lot of weight by eating healthy, then you might have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. If not, then tracking your food is not going to be a long term solution.

I am 7+ years in on this. I know how frustrating weight loss can be and how much confusing info is out there. I wish you well.

I wish I could blame it on that, but Ive never blamed it on anything other than me over eating, eating too much in terms of portion size while believing to myself it was a reasonable portion. I have seen that booklet before and used it in the past. Size is deceiving, its less accurate than the inaccurate calorie measurements the authors are criticising.

If someone with a small appetite or reasonable levels of consumption can manage that way, thats great. I see and hear people say all the time 'oh I couldnt eat another thing' after what I consider to be bird sizes portions. Me I would eat double portions all the time.

Our eyes are not accurate, the numbers are more factual.

I get it. I have always been a BIG eater with some binge eating tendencies. Everyone is different and I do not mean to imply that logging is ALWAYS useless or harmful. Based on anecdotal evidence and research, it is just not helpful long term.

Having said that.... self experimentation is awesome, so go for it! BTW, despite knowing that logging doesn't really work well, I am currently back on MFP and logging.. lol.. so there it is... But logging is a short term thing for me at this point.

Honestly curious, what research?

It’s been nearly 2 years since I have looked at this stuff in any detail. If you honestly want to crawl through studies on pub med I will try to cite some of them for you
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Of course calorie counting is not 100% accurate, unless you're carrying around a science lab with you all day you're not going to know what you're expending or intaking to that level of accuracy.

But the hand portion thing/eye balling thing/ guesstimating thing is a recipe for disaster. Its why someone like me has got to this size in the first place despite eating 'healthy'.

If you have gained a lot of weight by eating healthy, then you might have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. If not, then tracking your food is not going to be a long term solution.

I am 7+ years in on this. I know how frustrating weight loss can be and how much confusing info is out there. I wish you well.

I wish I could blame it on that, but Ive never blamed it on anything other than me over eating, eating too much in terms of portion size while believing to myself it was a reasonable portion. I have seen that booklet before and used it in the past. Size is deceiving, its less accurate than the inaccurate calorie measurements the authors are criticising.

If someone with a small appetite or reasonable levels of consumption can manage that way, thats great. I see and hear people say all the time 'oh I couldnt eat another thing' after what I consider to be bird sizes portions. Me I would eat double portions all the time.

Our eyes are not accurate, the numbers are more factual.

I get it. I have always been a BIG eater with some binge eating tendencies. Everyone is different and I do not mean to imply that logging is ALWAYS useless or harmful. Based on anecdotal evidence and research, it is just not helpful long term.

Having said that.... self experimentation is awesome, so go for it! BTW, despite knowing that logging doesn't really work well, I am currently back on MFP and logging.. lol.. so there it is... But logging is a short term thing for me at this point.

Honestly curious, what research?

It’s been nearly 2 years since I have looked at this stuff in any detail. If you honestly want to crawl through studies on pub med I will try to cite some of them for you

Thank you for the offer. I can go ahead and mosey my way over to pub med and look.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Back on track with the point of this post - I am someone who will need to track calories long term. Doing stricter logging has given me a much better sense of estimating calories and portion sizes but I know that not logging leads to me knowingly and unknowingly overeating while pretending I'm not gaining weight or will easily take it right back off. Having said that, there are times when my logging is much tighter or looser depending on my mood.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Kittyy1994 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies everyone - since I have never really been over weight and I have nearly reached my “goal weight” I had in mind when first logging in so I think I might stop soon.

Even in a short time of 6 weeks I have learnt a bit about portion control (like my previous servings of things like rice and pasta were wayyyy off!!).

I wish logging was for me but honestly it is causing me more stress than good! Constantly looking at labels, obsessing over food and always on my phone checking calories. Definately not for me long term.

Have previously had quite a healthy relationship with food before and never been very overweight (just a little chubby here and there😉 so not sure where these feelings came from.

So, I think safest for me to just eat mindfully and continue weighing each week. If I find that the scale is creeping up significantly I might log again for a few weeks to get back on track 😀

Seems that might be a good plan for you if it's messing with your relationship with food, if you want to keep track of your trendweight there are some great apps which will tell you your averaging weight and roughly what your calorie balance is (i.e. if you're at maintenance/surplus/deficit and by roughly how much). With that info if you find your weight creeping up for example if it says you're in a 200 cal surplus you can cut out a snack/make a meal lighter or try and be a little more active.

For iOS you have Happy Scale, for Android there is Libra.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think I would be considered a lazy logger (as I have seen it referred to here) I dont tend to weigh most packaged goods, I use the weight it says on the packaging or the calories it says a slice has or a thing has. So if it says its 200g of houmous, thats what I count it as. Other things I pop on the scale such as a chunk of cheese this evening (dead on 25g -Im quite good at knowing the weights by eye so like to have this confirmed), a big spoonfull of chutney, about 30g that was.

Later Im having a pitta bread and some egg mayonnaise in a pot, so I will count the calories for both of those by the package rather than weighing them.