An unusual question I must ask. Women only šŸ™‚

Options
Alia_R
Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
So Iā€™ve had 2 c-sections and now I have what people call ā€œa fanny packā€. Since Iā€™ve started on my weight loss journey (for the second time), Iā€™ve been noticing that itā€™s very, very slowly changing. Since thereā€™s scar tissue, does that effect the way the muscle develops over time? Have any women here gone through c-sections and managed to lose that part of the belly successfully or trying to like me?

Replies

• auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had one c-section in 2002. Iā€™m 5 pounds away from my goal weight of 130 at 5ā€™4. Iā€™ve weighed between 135-145 for about 7 years, ate relatively healthy 80% of the time and exercised consistently. I still have the mom pooch. It is excess skin below the belly button covered in stretch marks. I think those muscles have a gap between them as you can push the skin together from the sides and there is like a horizontal gap right there. Sorry if tmi....I have come to the conclusion that it isnā€™t going anywhere. Hate to be a debby downer but for some people it just is what it is. There was a thread recently where women posted their ā€˜realā€™ mom bellies. Hopefully someone can link it for you bc I canā€™t find it. It made me feel really good with where I am. Maybe you can be a lucky one that it shrinks for but be prepared to possibly never see it gone 100%.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

Check out that thread. Lots of good pictures of real women. I didn't have a c section, but I did give birth and I also struggle with losing the "mom pooch". It is totally normal and is where most women naturally carry fat. For most women, they need to get to a very low body fat percentage to minimize it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    How long ago? I had a c-section 3 1/2 years ago and about to have another. As I lost weight the skin on the top and bottom of my scar evened out. It might stick out slightly more on top than bottom but it's not noticeable. When looking at it from the front you just see a line.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 15 years post 2nd c-section and still have a bit of overhang there, but I can easily tell it's because I still have some fat there dragging the loose skin down. I'm in a healthy weight range for my height but by no means lean, so that's to be expected. I try not to worry about it.

What @auburngirl06 is describing might be diastasis recti https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/diastasis-recti/faq-20057825 If that's the case, you should speak to your doctor about possible therapies to help correct it.
  • Alia_R
    Alia_R Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had my second one 4 years ago.
    hesn92 wrote: Ā»
    How long ago? I had a c-section 3 1/2 years ago and about to have another. As I lost weight the skin on the top and bottom of my scar evened out. It might stick out slightly more on top than bottom but it's not noticeable. When looking at it from the front you just see a line.

• AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had 2 sections back in the late 90s. My belly fat is hard above my belly button and I have the squishy sag below. The 'fanny pack' is definitely shrinking after 30lbs lost...I'm more concerned with the above belly button weight.