calories inline skating

Options
2»

Replies

• mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I skate a lot, indoor quad roller skating and ice skating. My fitness watch showed these figures from last week. Keep in mind that I work at it pretty hard and not just coast around. Thursday roller skating 100 minutes and 1053 calories. Friday ice skating 71 minutes and 1119 calories. Hope this helps some.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I love this discussion of long distance skating! I did it for years, but have gotten into triathlon so have had to pare back my other endeavors, including skating. But, skating was always a great option when my kids were younger. They would ride on a bike path and I would skate. I got a much better workout than riding along with them. Maybe I'll get out a few times this summer!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    There are youtube videos of skating in Groningen end of Jan 2019. This video gives the impression of "wild schaatsen" on virgin ice that no one else has dared skate on yet. I used to skate with some fanatics who at the first report of reasonably safe natural ice would immediately arrange a day off work and drive a few hours to be able to skate. The only time in the Netherlands you feel like you in wild open spaces is standing in the middle of a frozen lake. It's also great that the towns are fairly close together in the Netherlands, so you can skate from town to town in the countryside and eventually take the train back to where your car is parked.

There are watermaps that indicate depths to suss out reasonably safe skating. Also the military ordinance maps give water depths. Cheapest source for the military maps was a series of booklets about bicycle tours around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Utrecht, etc that come with a set of military maps for the region. These were useful for skating because they mark hydro electrical towers and other large structures so you can orient yourself if you were not on a road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WN7SSlqWU

Ohh, that looks amazing, so jealous!
    To the original OP question, I used to play roller and ice hockey, and also skate a lot. I think hockey is different, burns more calories as it requires constant acceleration and stops, which is very different from skating/ coasting. Different power outputs. Of course, speed skating burns plenty too, but it's all about the effort and power generated during the skate. If you are just getting up to comfortable speed and coasting it won't burn much. I don't have the formulas for the activities, just the general observation. Have fun, OP!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are interested in organized events for long distance inline skating look up Skate Bond Nederland. When I was there, the branch dedicated to tour skating was called the Skeeler Bond Nederland.

There was one event I participated in twice, a tour of the West Fries Omringdijk. About 130 km around a historical dike in Noord Holland where you skate in a pack on the road paced by cyclists and where motorcycles hold back traffic at intersections. If you can't stay with the pack you will be asked to get into medical car trailing the pack. It was 6 hours of skating with hourly breaks of 15 minutes each to feed on oranges, bananas and cheese sandwiches. I didn't finish the first time, but managed the second attempt. The pacing by the bikes is a bit weird because they keep at a steady pace of 20 km per hour. That's leisurely when the road is smooth, but if the road is bricks, cobbles, or poor quality asphalt that pace becomes a struggle.

It was also interesting the second time because it is the only instance I "hit the wall" during an endurance event. Your muscles can run on fat but it becomes obvious your brain only runs on carbs. When my body became glycogen depleted I suddenly became very confused and was unable to coordinate skating movements. One of the motorcyclists from the organization saw me struggling and ripped open a hotel packet of jam, and told me to suck on it. In my confused state, I complied. Within minutes of sucking on some jam my mind cleared and I could finish the event. I was amused by the Dutch low tech solution too. In the US they have all these expensive high tech energy gels for fueling endurance events, but a hotel satchet of jam worked fine too.

These events are a way to meet other people interested in tour skating. Not all of them are as long as the one I did.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Does anyone have a suggestion for calories from inline skating? I'm considering dusting my skates and going on longer rides.

walking calories: 0.3* weight * distance
    running calories: 0.64 * weight * distance
    both work for me.

Skating doesn't involve the jumping motion that's present when running, and with a good set of wheels/bearings it's possible to get to a good speed easily. METs-wise, the slowest skating has been rated a 7.5, while my very slow running pace has a 8.3 or so. Basically, I can't believe that skating burns nearly as many calories as running

Any thoughts on this?

That MET's database always has studies as the reason for the figures.

The study on that 7.5 METs @ 14.4 Kmh is

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/15474836_Physiological_responses_to_in-line_skating_compared_to_treadmill_running

You'd have to dig into the study details for the calorie burn / RMR values found.
    But it had good VO2 & HR slope, even though max was a tad lower.

So indeed, almost as much as running.

Like Speed skating, it's an inefficient motion to gain forward momentum and therefore good calorie burn depending on speed.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are interested in organized events for long distance inline skating look up Skate Bond Nederland. When I was there, the branch dedicated to tour skating was called the Skeeler Bond Nederland.

There was one event I participated in twice, a tour of the West Fries Omringdijk. About 130 km around a historical dike in Noord Holland where you skate in a pack on the road paced by cyclists and where motorcycles hold back traffic at intersections. If you can't stay with the pack you will be asked to get into medical car trailing the pack. It was 6 hours of skating with hourly breaks of 15 minutes each to feed on oranges, bananas and cheese sandwiches. I didn't finish the first time, but managed the second attempt. The pacing by the bikes is a bit weird because they keep at a steady pace of 20 km per hour. That's leisurely when the road is smooth, but if the road is bricks, cobbles, or poor quality asphalt that pace becomes a struggle.

It was also interesting the second time because it is the only instance I "hit the wall" during an endurance event. Your muscles can run on fat but it becomes obvious your brain only runs on carbs. When my body became glycogen depleted I suddenly became very confused and was unable to coordinate skating movements. One of the motorcyclists from the organization saw me struggling and ripped open a hotel packet of jam, and told me to suck on it. In my confused state, I complied. Within minutes of sucking on some jam my mind cleared and I could finish the event. I was amused by the Dutch low tech solution too. In the US they have all these expensive high tech energy gels for fueling endurance events, but a hotel satchet of jam worked fine too.

These events are a way to meet other people interested in tour skating. Not all of them are as long as the one I did.

Thanks a lot <3 I usually stay away from organized events, being a terrible introvert and someone on the spectrum. I do enjoy being out and about alone though. And thanks for the fantastic photos and links <3
  • yirara
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Does anyone have a suggestion for calories from inline skating? I'm considering dusting my skates and going on longer rides.

both work for me.

Skating doesn't involve the jumping motion that's present when running, and with a good set of wheels/bearings it's possible to get to a good speed easily. METs-wise, the slowest skating has been rated a 7.5, while my very slow running pace has a 8.3 or so. Basically, I can't believe that skating burns nearly as many calories as running

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/15474836_Physiological_responses_to_in-line_skating_compared_to_treadmill_running

You'd have to dig into the study details for the calorie burn / RMR values found.

Like Speed skating, it's an inefficient motion to gain forward momentum and therefore good calorie burn depending on speed.

Thanks a lot!

I spent most of tonight cleaning my skates. The bearing mostly run surprisingly smooth still despite being in various cellars and dusty storage rooms. Now on to the big problem: how the heck do I undust the inside of the boots? Too much padding to just pour lose pieces out, too tight for a vacuum, and certainly too foamy to wash the inside. I think I might just leave as is and wear socks I'd normally not wear :D
  • acpgee
    Options

both work for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot!

I spent most of tonight cleaning my skates. The bearing mostly run surprisingly smooth still despite being in various cellars and dusty storage rooms. Now on to the big problem: how the heck do I undust the inside of the boots? Too much padding to just pour lose pieces out, too tight for a vacuum, and certainly too foamy to wash the inside. I think I might just leave as is and wear socks I'd normally not wear :D

What model of inline are they? Back in 2008 I remember models with a foam inner boot with a hard plastic outer shell. Can you drop an email to the customer service people of your brand? Is it a model where you it is possible to take out the inner boot entirely and wash them on the lingerie cycle in the washing machine?

I used to travel quite a ways from Amsterdam to buy skating and inline equipment from these guys because they were really good. Maybe they would be kind enough to answer an email enquiry.

https://www.stouwdam.nl/
  • yirara
    Options

both work for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks a lot!

What model of inline are they? Back in 2008 I remember models with a foam inner boot with a hard plastic outer shell. Can you drop an email to the customer service people of your brand? Is it a model where you it is possible to take out the inner boot entirely and wash them on the lingerie cycle in the washing machine?

I used to travel quite a ways from Amsterdam to buy skating and inline equipment from these guys because they were really good. Maybe they would be kind enough to answer an email enquiry.

https://www.stouwdam.nl/

Hey, you just got me thinking about how hold those things are. I used to wear them to go to uni in Leiden: skate to train station, get onto train, skate through Leiden to uni. That was in 2000! Those are K2 ones, soft boots with a hard plastic, and I think aluminium heal/ankle support. Actually, they don't look so different to current models. Maybe a bit heavier. Anyway, I tried to remove the bearings but only damaged a spacer. I might go to a skate store in town tomorrow to get new bearings. Or just skate those to bits as most bearings still sound good.
  • yirara
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Fixed my skates, got new bearings, went on a small, 1h ride just now, at 32C outside :D My speed was around 20-21km/h, but as I often had to queue behind slow bikes, wait at some crossings or had to carefully skate over criss-crossing tramrails I only managed 16.5km in this hour. It was a lot of fun though.

Calorie-wise I have no idea.. running for an hour would get me about 400kcal (I'm a very slow runner), walking about 100kcal... 300 maybe? My heartrate was similar to outside of town racebike-longdistance cycling, but of course I'm faster and the movement is different while the number of mets for my running and skating speed are about the same. I think I'll use 300 for now.
  • yirara
    Options
    Yesterday I skated again, and found out I was peaking at 34km/h at a particularly straight and flat cycle path through a bit of a forest. Yikes! I think I really need to find my wrist protectors.
  • yirara
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Right, any number is as good as the other. I decided to use a convoluted way of using the calories my fitbit gives me for running for an hour, 7.5km relative to the cals from miles*lbs*0.64 for a one hour, 7.5km run, and compared it to the calories fitbit gives me for a 1 hour, 20km skate. Ended up playing with different weights around my current weight and am now happy with using km*kg*0.25, which is pretty much the 300kcal I estimated for my skating at my current weight. The multiplier is very low, even lower than walking, but it's so easy to get lots of km together and not really that high effort compared to running.

Note: this is for my weight range, my skates (20 years old and much smaller wheels than current ones). And might be too low. But that's something to try out for me. The effort of skating an hour just isn't that high that I feel I should give it more calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be aware too that study research has shown that non-weight bearing activities burn more than they feel like due to less stress, which allows more effort (calorie burn) into the movement.
    Just doesn't feel like as much effort, but it can be and more. Happens on the bike all the time to me.

So that study of 7.5 METS @ 14.4 Kmh compared to running would be equal to 4.25 mph or 6.84 Kmh.

And the study showed almost equal HR slopes - so you find the walking/running HR that matches your avg effort at skating - and you've probably gotten the pace to compare to for you.
    Which would be interesting to find.

Shows how much abuse you may be taking off the joints with skating compared to walking/running at that pace.
  • yirara
    Options
    Be aware too that study research has shown that non-weight bearing activities burn more than they feel like due to less stress, which allows more effort (calorie burn) into the movement.
    Just doesn't feel like as much effort, but it can be and more. Happens on the bike all the time to me.

So that study of 7.5 METS @ 14.4 Kmh compared to running would be equal to 4.25 mph or 6.84 Kmh.

And the study showed almost equal HR slopes - so you find the walking/running HR that matches your avg effort at skating - and you've probably gotten the pace to compare to for you.

Shows how much abuse you may be taking off the joints with skating compared to walking/running at that pace.

I know. I have to start with something, and as running is so difficult for me for various reasons I just made the assumption that skating must be less (even if METs disagree at my current skating speed). I think skating is better for the joins but either overall harder on the muscles (crouching down) or using muscles I'm not used to. Not sure yet. So with the numbers I have, and using average walking, running and skating speeds for me I'd get

walking: 1.3kcal * weight in kg per hour
    running: 6kcal * weight in kg per hour
    skating: 5kcal * weight in kg per hour
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

I know. I have to start with something, and as running is so difficult for me for various reasons I just made the assumption that skating must be less (even if METs disagree at my current skating speed). I think skating is better for the joins but either overall harder on the muscles (crouching down) or using muscles I'm not used to. Not sure yet. So with the numbers I have, and using average walking, running and skating speeds for me I'd get

walking: 1.3kcal * weight in kg per hour
    running: 6kcal * weight in kg per hour
    skating: 5kcal * weight in kg per hour

Well as long as you use your consistent factor, the data should show you which way (if any) you have to adjust. And you have to start that educated guess somewhere, so it sounds like you have found that point.

Similar to the mentions that @heybales made concerning impact/weight bearing, I've found that the cooling sensation of easier forms of locomotion "fool" me into thinking I'm not working as hard. Being your skating pace is fairly solid, that might come into play as well. Then of course the aero factor with speed, inclines, resistance, drafting off bikes....

Yep, just pick a number and see where it takes you! :)
  • yirara
    Options
    Yep, lets see what happens. I'd hoped to go skating today, but of course it's the first rubbish weather day in ages. I'm not skating with wet roads, and it'a also rather stormy. Will be an evening inside I guess. But break days are also good.
  • yirara
    Options
    30km done! Things I realized: My lowest back muscles are currently not strong enough. Maybe back to weights or kettlebells. And skating leads to interesting music stuck in my head. Here it was Song X by Neil Young. Has a cool, skate-movement rhythm to it :D
  • acpgee
    Options
    Consider pilates for strengthening core for dealing with back pain from other exercise.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, fun one: I uploaded the 30km data to Strava as it has a rollerskating category, and it gave me 1540kcal for it! Lets be honest, I used an HR monitor during the ride and had a fairly high hr all the way through apart from the places where I had to check the map for directions, cross roads or had to go over kind of cobblestone roads. And I can't set custom hr zones in basic strava and know I have a ridiculously high maxHR. Ehm.. nope, I don't think so.

To compare, strava gave me 267kcal for a faster 20km ride without HR data :D The truth is somewhere out there I'm sure.
  • acpgee
    Options
    I remember another ice skating anecdote from Alphen aan de Rijn. I was with a group of people who didn't mind the risk of skating on thin ice. The water is only 60 cm deep at Alphen aan de Rijn, so even if you do fall through the ice, it won't be life threatening.

The ice was beautiful and black. Black ice is something you get when there is a sudden deep frost combined with no wind. The ice freezes quickly with no churning of the water which mixes air into the ice. It's the best ice for skating being very hard, very fast, totally transparent.

We were in an area where the ice was thin and you could see right down into water plants under the ice actually moving around in the water flowing beneath the ice. One of the guys exclaimed, "This is so beautiful, I can see right down to the movement of water plants. It's as if we are skating on water!". Plonk! That's the moment he fell through and found himself standing hip deep in the cold water.