calories inline skating

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
Does anyone have a suggestion for calories from inline skating? I'm considering dusting my skates and going on longer rides.

walking calories: 0.3* weight * distance
running calories: 0.64 * weight * distance
both work for me.

Skating doesn't involve the jumping motion that's present when running, and with a good set of wheels/bearings it's possible to get to a good speed easily. METs-wise, the slowest skating has been rated a 7.5, while my very slow running pace has a 8.3 or so. Basically, I can't believe that skating burns nearly as many calories as running

Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I figure skate and would believe it does burn lots because when you're skating your core is more engaged simply for balance. I know when I'm skating I'm engaging my entire body from toes to finger tips.

Also, we discussed this the other day at the rink, you're using your quads and butt a lot, when you use those big muscle groups lots of calories are burned. That being said I'd just come up with a burn between running and walking just cause running sucks and should burn a million calories. Haha
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think it honestly depends on how good you are (ie how energy efficient) and what terrain you go on (rougher paths need more energy to traverse safely). I skate infrequently now and whereas I used to be able to do 5 or 6 miles, I can do about 20 mins now before dying. Pretty sure I use more energy on the infrequent shorter trips owing to flailing limbs, panic stopping at hazards and the occasional 360 spin as I try to remember how to stop.
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    I figure skate and would believe it does burn lots because when you're skating your core is more engaged simply for balance. I know when I'm skating I'm engaging my entire body from toes to finger tips.

Also, we discussed this the other day at the rink, you're using your quads and butt a lot, when you use those big muscle groups lots of calories are burned. That being said I'd just come up with a burn between running and walking just cause running sucks and should burn a million calories. Haha

This^^

I burn a ton playing hockey
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,603 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of long distance inline skating in the Netherlands. We once skated from Amsterdam to Antwerp in 2 and a half days. It is a little more strenuous than cycling, but I would log it as cycling. When we did the Amsterdam to Antwerp trip, the cyclists who acted as pack mules for the luggage were surprised they had to work hard to keep up with the skaters. But yeah, 3 cyclists were carrying luggage for 6 skaters as well as their own stuff.
  • yirara
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I used to do a lot of long distance inline skating in the Netherlands. We once skated from Amsterdam to Antwerp in 2 and a half days. It is a little more strenuous than cycling, but I would log it as cycling. When we did the Amsterdam to Antwerp trip, the cyclists who acted as pack mules for the luggage were surprised they had to work hard to keep up with the skaters. But yeah, 3 cyclists were carrying luggage for 6 skaters as well as their own stuff.

I am in the Netherland as well <3 Mind you, I bought the skates when I studied here, and haven't used them since. I see people still skate here and got a real big urge to dust mine down and use them again :)
  • yirara
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

This^^

I burn a ton playing hockey

I would think this is different though that stead-state skating on flat, smooth cycle paths.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you are doing real distance with a consistent cadence (which I have done in the past), you can log as "Roller blading (in-line skating)," which gives me (perhaps factoring my weight) 950kcals/hour.

Although that sounds high, I think it's accurate for the case where you are on a bike path or equivalent and are moving the entire time. It would be worth monitoring HR to make sure you are in your aerobic zone.

If you find you are below this level of effort, you could log as "Skating, roller (rollerblading, roller blading)" which gives about half as many calories.

I note that the Garmin watches have an app to track inline skating, but I haven't tried it. (I've been working on my jogging lately and haven't put the skates on for quite some time.)
  • yirara
    Options
    If you are doing real distance with a consistent cadence (which I have done in the past), you can log as "Roller blading (in-line skating)," which gives me (perhaps factoring my weight) 950kcals/hour.

Although that sounds high, I think it's accurate for the case where you are on a bike path or equivalent and are moving the entire time. It would be worth monitoring HR to make sure you are in your aerobic zone.

If you find you are below this level of effort, you could log as "Skating, roller (rollerblading, roller blading)" which gives about half as many calories.

I note that the Garmin watches have an app to track inline skating, but I haven't tried it. (I've been working on my jogging lately and haven't put the skates on for quite some time.)

Calorie burns always depend on weight as well, and I'm a small, light woman :D I would not even burn half that with running for an hour ;)
  • yirara
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Anecdote about long distance inline skating in the Netherlands.

I was on a smooth bike path next to a road when a car slowed down to my speed and just tailed me for a while. I got scared and wondered if he was going to try to run me over at the intersection when the bike path ended and I would have to switch over to the road. Just as we reached the intersection, the driver shouted out of his window, "Did you know you do a steady 22 km per hour?" and sped off.

Hahaha! Brilliant!
    It's so weird: I dragged my inlines from the Netherlands to 5 countries and never looked at them. Since being back I keep on thinking: Need to go skating! And on that note I'm really taking them out of the wardrobe to have a loot at what kind of work they need :D
  • yirara
    Options
    Me:
    Ok, lets have a look at these skates, unused since 2008.
    *pulls old socks out of boots that fall into pieces*
    Right, those skates do look a bit dirty.
    *removes dust, white plaster and other stuff out of boots*
    Hmm.. soft parts need cleaning, some metal parts de-corroding, but everything works, wheels run freely. I wonder if they still fit
    *puts skates on, realizes her lower legs are too big for the clasp*
    *puts clasp below tongue of boot*
    Ok, just to see if they roll, in my street
    1km further: I should have taken the wrist protectors with me, and more importantly, my sun glasses. Ok, lets not cross feet in curves
    3km further: I overtake a motorized bike :D
    5km further: I cross my feet when curving into my street o:)

That was fun :D I think they need mostly a lot of cleaning, and I might have wrecked the bearings now (though the wheels sound and feel fine) but they certainly still work.
  • yirara
    Options
    Btw, I'm sure I'll have sore thighs tomorrow :D
  • acpgee
    Options
    Quite jealous. I studied in the Netherlands too and got a taste for long track speed skating, distance skating when the waterways froze over, and long distance inline skating. I got a neurological disease in 2011 which left nerve damage in my feet so the fine balance adjustments needed for skating are now out of reach.
  • yirara
    Options
    So sorry to hear <3

I have hypermobile ankles and basically keep myself upright by tiny micromovements. I never notice it unless I wear tight-sitting boots or anything else tight around my ankles/feet. When I just stand I fall sideways because that movement isn't possible anymore :D But as long as I keep on moving I'm fine. I'm glad skating still worked.

Mind you, I've never seen frozen over waterways! You're ahead of me there :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    I don't know where you are in the Netherlands, but you don't need an Elfstedentocht winter to skate on frozen waterways. When ice is safe for large crowds, the KNSB holds organized tours over frozen waterways. Kind of like long distance running events where you collect a medal for completing the event. The year I started speedskating in the Netherlands it was an almost Elfstedentocht year and there was a KNSB tour between Enkhuizen in Noord Holland to Stavoren in Friesland across the Ijsselmeer and back. If you have a severe winter make sure to log into the KNSB website regularly for events.

I think I managed to skate on natural ice almost every 2 or 3 years despite conditions not being safe enough for KNSB tours. You do need to know where there are shallow waterways, so if you do fall through the ice it will not be life threatening. Giethorn in the east of the country, Alphen aan de Rijn near Amsterdam, Flevopolder near Amsterdam all have canals with shallow water (60 cm) where I've skated on natural ice after 4 nights of good frost. I remember skating on Patswoldermeer in Groningen in April when we were deep into the springtime thaw after a hard winter with lots of ice. Keep in mind that skating back to the car in wet clothes is pretty traumatic, even if falling through the ice is not life threatening.

Have search on google for natuurijs. When I lived in Amsterdam, I used to use websites where people reported local ice conditions in winter. Don't skate alone on thin ice and make sure one of the party has some prongs that hang from a coiled cord around your neck if you need to climb out of the water. Probably best to skate with somebody who experienced with dangers of natural ice if you are not doing an organized KNSB tour. Lots of instances of potential thin ice hazzards such as sudden narrowing of the water where faster streaming underfoot occurs, or warmth conducted from structures such as bridges, or additional streaming from natural gas erupting from below the ground or areas kept open by movements of water fowl. Places where water has been pumped after a top layer of ice has formed so there is an air gap between the supporting water and the ice layer are dangerous too.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh man, I used to live in Alphen when I was a student! Now I'm a bit further south, more urban and more coastal, thus properly frozen water is unlikely, but still: Thanks a lot for this! I never considered it <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to a nearby rink I used the entry "Skating, roller (rollerblading, roller blading)"

I kept falling, so stopped going.

Funny, never fell when ice skating.
  • acpgee
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TopE6S4LY

Holland has quite unique weather conditions for skating. The primary wind direction is west, bringing rain and warm air. But in the event of severe cold, the wind is from the east. And between Siberia and Holland there are no large bodies of water so when there is cold weather there is also no snow. Perfect conditions for skating on frozen waterways.
  • acpgee
    Options
    There are youtube videos of skating in Groningen end of Jan 2019. This video gives the impression of "wild schaatsen" on virgin ice that no one else has dared skate on yet. I used to skate with some fanatics who at the first report of reasonably safe natural ice would immediately arrange a day off work and drive a few hours to be able to skate. The only time in the Netherlands you feel like you in wild open spaces is standing in the middle of a frozen lake. It's also great that the towns are fairly close together in the Netherlands, so you can skate from town to town in the countryside and eventually take the train back to where your car is parked.

There are watermaps that indicate depths to suss out reasonably safe skating. Also the military ordinance maps give water depths. Cheapest source for the military maps was a series of booklets about bicycle tours around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maastricht, Utrecht, etc that come with a set of military maps for the region. These were useful for skating because they mark hydro electrical towers and other large structures so you can orient yourself if you were not on a road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WN7SSlqWU
  • acpgee
    Options
    I now notice in the Groningen clip, the second guy is carrying rope with him, draped across his body. They look like they know what they are doing with respect to this type of activity.