Trouble meeting carbs/macros

Options
prowell57
prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
I've been on keto diet for 5 days now and I have trouble eating my cal/macros. I eat till I'm full but at end of the day I'm way below cal and the only macro I can seem to meet is the carbs. How does everyone meet their nutrition? I usually don't eat breakfast (never have been able to eat first thing in the morning). Since being on keto I'm just not that hungry. Any advice would be appreciated!
My dairy is set to public.

Replies

• Bellkat2019
    Bellkat2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why don’t you try a chocolate keto meal replacement shake in the am. I’m on keto too & I start with a shake. Then snake on some cheese, & cashews. For lunch I eat a salad with cheese & almond slices added & canned chicken breast. Look at the keto friendly/low carb friendly easy recipes on FB for some ideas. I am allowed 1210 calories per day. Very doable. Best of luck to you! 👍👍
  • Bellkat2019
    Bellkat2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    SNACK NOT SNAKE auto correct lol 😂
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for people who drastically change their diet to have a hard time eating enough for the first week or so. It takes a little time for your appetite and digestive system to adjust. A shake is a great idea. Also consider cooking with oil or butter if you're not, and using more dressing, marinade, sauces, etc.

It's not a huge deal in the short term as long as you're feeling okay, but if it continues for more than a couple of weeks, you'll need to get creative or perhaps think about trying a low carb rather than keto level carb goal so you can eat an appropriate amount of calories.
  • prowell57
    Options
    I used an online keto calculator to set my cal/macros, after entering all my info this is what it gave me...
    Calories: 1,650
    Carbs: 5% 21g
    Protein: 20% 83g
    Fat: 75% 138g
    Thank you Bellkat2019 for the ideals. I never thought of a shake.

• prowell57
    Options
    Kimny72 I do cook with olive oil and butter, some days I even eat 2 tblsp peanut butter. I never thought of shakes in the morning like Bellkat2019 suggested, I agree it is a good ideal.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale? Fats are really calorie dense, and measuring them casually can lead to missing a lot of the calories you're consuming. I peeked at your diary, and you're not really even eating that high fat, so it's not like a ton of fat is causing the problem. You might want to join the Low Carbers group and see if you can learn more about how to structure a keto diet in there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum