Less Alcohol - JULY 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,562 Member
    Options
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.
    July 22 - AF

Running total: 15 AF days out of 22 days so far.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    7/4 - AF
    7/5 - bad :(
    7/6 - kept to my goal of waiting till night time for 2 drinks
    7/7 - AF
    7/8 - 3 drinks
    7/9 - AF - YAY! :)
    7/10 - 1 small drink
    7/11 - drank
    7/12 - drank
    7/13 - AF
    7/14 - AF
    7/15 - AF
    7/16 - 1.5 drinks!
    7/17 - AF
    7/18 - 1.5 drinks
    7/19 - 1.5 drinks
    7/20 - 😶 bad
    7/21 - 1 😕
    Reboot!
    7/22 - AF

Today's goal, AF. All week. Supposed to be a super rainy day ALL day today. Gonna be had to be active being stuck inside, rainy weather is cozy couch weather for me, but I'll make do and and keep busy 😁
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Well seem to got in to the swing of only drinking during the weekend, which was my goal. And now on the weekend I am drinking less too. You would think I would not drink at all be allergic to several hard liquors all red wine and this weekend reacting to my favorite white wine, an oak barreled aged chardonnay....Drat think I am going to have to cross all aged chardonnays off now. Soon enough I will have no option but not drink at the rates I am developing allergies to alcohol.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    pennyks88 wrote: »
    Thank you! I needed to hear this today.

You are welcome @pennyks88. So glad it made your ears happy! 😏
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    beebva4 wrote: »
    7/4 - AF

Today's goal, AF. All week. Supposed to be a super rainy day ALL day today. Gonna be had to be active being stuck inside, rainy weather is cozy couch weather for me, but I'll make do and and keep busy 😁

It's great your goal has advanced to this level! Wonderful to get to this point. I hope to be posting this same message in a few weeks. Thanks for posting this, this gives me inspiration.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Anabirgite wrote: »
    Well seem to got in to the swing of only drinking during the weekend, which was my goal. And now on the weekend I am drinking less too. You would think I would not drink at all be allergic to several hard liquors all red wine and this weekend reacting to my favorite white wine, an oak barreled aged chardonnay....Drat think I am going to have to cross all aged chardonnays off now. Soon enough I will have no option but not drink at the rates I am developing allergies to alcohol.
    Great job meeting your goal of AF during the week! Interesting that you are really noticing your allergies to certain types of alcohol now that you’ve cut back. I’d try to look at is as a blessing in disguise- I think our bodies self select against things that we are allergic to. Food allergies are a pain, for sure, but use this one to your advantage!
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @globalhiker thank you so much! 😁 I just wish I wouldn't go a little heavier when I do allow drinking days. That's my next goal. I know you will be posting that in no time! You're doing great!

7/4 - AF
    7/5 - bad :(
    7/6 - kept to my goal of waiting till night time for 2 drinks
    7/7 - AF
    7/8 - 3 drinks
    7/9 - AF - YAY! :)
    7/10 - 1 small drink
    7/11 - drank
    7/12 - drank
    7/13 - AF
    7/14 - AF
    7/15 - AF
    7/16 - 1.5 drinks!
    7/17 - AF
    7/18 - 1.5 drinks
    7/19 - 1.5 drinks
    7/20 - 😶 bad
    7/21 - 1 😕
    Reboot!
    7/22 - AF
    7/23 - AF

Today's the halfway point through the week of AF, yay!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.
    July 22 - AF
    July 23 - AF - still haven't had a Mojito yet, I had probably had 50 of them by this time last summer. Hopefully the mint doesn't wilt before I finally have one. I have tried them with grocery store mint, and it does not taste good. The mint in my garden is so much better. This year on top of my perrenial mint, I am growing some interesting varieties in pots, like Strawberry mint and Berries and Cream, along with the usual Orange Mint and Chocolate mint. I have been chewing it all, just haven't turned any of them into a cocktail yet. Not the same without the rum. Hmm, maybe rum extract? I will think about that.

Running total: 16 AF days out of 23 days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    I think one of the important features of our thread is that we can opening say we want to cut back, reduce, take a break for the time being (or phrase it any way you want). Without going that next step and fully committing to saying "I will never drink again".
    The reason I feel this way is because saying I will NEVER drink again is such a final statement. And if for some unknown reason one does have a drink or many drinks it crushes ones own self esteem.
    We are human, and we do not need the extra added pressure to create a false statement that will only hurt our goals.

Not sure why I felt obligated to write that but it feels good to let everyone know they have a place to come without the pressures of NEVER AGAIN looming over them.

"LESS is more"

Oh yes. When I did a few months of 4AF days per week and thought that I would try 5AF days per week I set myself up. Putting too much pressure on ourselves does not work.
  • annengineer
    annengineer Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy maybe try some mocktails with that mint? Fresh garden mint sounds delightful, I bet nonalcoholic drinks (not necessarily a virgin mojito) with them would be super refreshing. If nothing else maybe spa water with that and cucumber?
  • MissMay
    Options
    WOW @dawnbgethealthy those sound like some delislous mints to try. I have been picking off my spearmint plant all Summer. Making many mock tails and putting it in my green hot tea. SOOOOOO refreshing.
    I will try a chocolate mint plant in the future.
  • MissMay
    Options
    I enjoy my beer, esp in summer,but when I decided to lose 75 lbs last month, beer had to go. I am a 50 year old female bar owner, soooo hard. It is no ones business why, but they all ask. I have started pouring a shot of tea in rocks glass at bar just so I can say ,” no thank you, I already have a whiskey “

Welcome @mrbenjansen3325. 75 pounds is an impressive goal for weight loss, cutting back on the alcohol will give you an advantage towards it. It must be terribly difficult to own a bar with people wanting to have you drink with them all the time.
    My go to in a stemmed glass when I am out is tea also with a garnish of orange. No questions, no funny looks, no need to get into unnecessary arguments as to why at that time I am not having alcohol like everyone else in the place.
    Keep us posted on your journey.