Less Alcohol - JULY 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,556 Member
    Options
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.
    July 22 - AF
    July 23 - AF - still haven't had a Mojito yet, I had probably had 50 of them by this time last summer. Hopefully the mint doesn't wilt before I finally have one. I have tried them with grocery store mint, and it does not taste good. The mint in my garden is so much better. This year on top of my perrenial mint, I am growing some interesting varieties in pots, like Strawberry mint and Berries and Cream, along with the usual Orange Mint and Chocolate mint. I have been chewing it all, just haven't turned any of them into a cocktail yet. Not the same without the rum. Hmm, maybe rum extract? I will think about that.
    July 24 - 3 drinks
    July 25 - AF - I have passed my AF tally of last month which ended with 16AF days. Planned Mojito making on Saturday, so want to be AF tomorrow too.
    July 26 - 3 drinks. Had planned on AF, but didn't. All of you in the East have been having a heat wave all summer and we pretty much just got summer here in the West today. Will power failed. Planned Mojito day tomorrow, so it will be two in a row which should be avoided because then day 3 it is too easy to have drinks. But yay, we finally got summer here! Went to the lake, resisted the first 5 drinks that I was offered, but then just decided to have a few. All good.
    July 27 - 3+? drinks. 3 types of Mojitos - Strawberry mint, chocolate mint, Berries and cream mint - but I poured less rum into my shakers, later on I have a couple of other things. So from noon until 10pm, I am not sure exactly how much I consumed. I had water in between and after, and feel okay today. The strawberry mint was getting to the flower stage, so that was the end of that. By this time last summer I had probably had more than 50 Mojitos, so I have definitely used some discipline.
    July 28 - AF

Running total: 18 AF days out of 28 days so far.
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I had good intentions of not drinking anything over the weekend with an Epic fail! It's a new day and I plan to get on board in August!

I didnt do too hot either. Like you said it's a new day for us! We can do it! 😬🙌🏻💥
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    beebva4 wrote: »
    I had good intentions of not drinking anything over the weekend with an Epic fail! It's a new day and I plan to get on board in August!

I didnt do too hot either. Like you said it's a new day for us! We can do it! 😬🙌🏻💥

@beebva4 you have put in tons of AF days and many in a row. Go easy on yourself.
  • MissMay
    Options
    Hi everyone. I love how everyone here is sharing...the Good, Bad, and yes, Ugly, or even reading others' stories. It means you've become aware of alcohol being a little too mainstream in your life for your comfort level. I started off here this month with a pretty ugly story.

Since then, I've been on a drinking break. I knew that putting down the glass (ok, who are we kidding--bottle) meant picking up something else. I've been stuck for years in this mid-life funk. So, I've made a few changes that I really don't think I could have/would have made if still drinking an average of 3ish drinks a day. Eating and exercising more healthfully. Discovering Kombucha. Sleeping late without guilt. Bought a NICE camera and getting back to my creative outlet. Camping unplugged (but not uncorked!) I probably would have missed the moose crossing the lake had I been digging for an opener (oh, who are we kidding again--I switched to screwtops a year ago to ensure easy access). Started a Meetup series on Midlife Design (first meeting tonight!).

So if you're feeling a little stuck, consider picking something up for those times you're putting down a glass or bottle. Even if it's just glorious sleep!

Aha....drinking break.....nice term.
    Replacing the glass, bottle, can in ones hand(s) with a more creative instrument is a much better idea. Congrats on your renwed love of photography. I hope you captured the moment with the moose. If not on the camera, at least it is in your memory.
    Great job @mainelylisa!

• MissMay
    Options
    THIS IS WHAT WE ARE ALL ABOUT.
    29em1gk8ggm9.jpg
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options
    I am going to continue into July with a goal of 4-5 AF days per week. It is great to be able to check in here each day. Thank you for looking after us @MissMay : - )

May - 18 AF days
    June - 16 AF days - Really had to backload that one! It was nearing the end of the month and I was only at 12 AF days. Maybe going to try to get more in at the beginning of the month this time, so if invited for wine or a cocktail party with gfs later in the month I can actually go.

July 01 - AF
    July 02 - AF - Guess that I will start my tally at the bottom : - ) I realize now that 16AF days (4 per week) in a 31 day month is like having drinks every second day!
    July 03 - AF - Today was no problem to be AF, but yesterday was a long hard day and I really felt like kicking back and having a couple of drinks - I just didn't. I even bought some of that fake beer that I have heard some of you talking about (I got Grolsch) - but it didn't occur to me to go to the fridge and have it. I am not a beer drinker, so I guess that it wouldn't have really been a substitute for a brandy or a glass of red wine : - P
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 08 - AF - Um, I saw Kombucha being made on a TV show, sorry y'all that like it, but whoa, ick! : - P
    July 09 - AF
    July 10 - AF - I had a nice steak for dinner and wanted a glass of Merlot or Cab with it, but didn't want to open a whole bottle (partially to prevent having drinks 2 days in a row) to have a glass or two. So I remembered the fake beer that I bought, the Grolsch and thought that might be a different thing to have. Firstly, it is 150 calories for one! I don't really drink beer anyway, but a light beer has like half of the calories of that. I figured maybe I would just drink half of it to save calories. Anyway, I poured out a bit in a glass and tasted it. Oh my, it was a Radler! I didn't like it, so didn't drink it. I may buy some more fake beer, but will be more careful at looking at the label. is there fake wine? Lol, I know that there can't be fake brandy, which is what I really prefer.
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 12 - AF - Had a fake beer, Labbatt Blue. It was actually pretty good. 50 calories, so it didn't break the bank. Mojitos planned for tomrrow, my mint is perfect in my garden. By this time last year I had many many Mojitos. This will be the first for this summer.
    July 13 - 3 drinks - haven't had the mojitos with my own mint yet, maybe next weekend.
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 16 - 3 drinks - I think that if I am going to have a few drinks a couple of days a week Tuesdays have to be included. It is my long tough day of the week, and I have so far not allowed myself to have drinks on Tuesdays even though that is the day where I really really feel like it. I must say that it was really nice to have a few. Good taste, nice relaxing feeling, great sleep. It was better than a chamomile tea. Time to rack up some ore AF days now. I feel confident that I will reach the 16-20 AF days for the month.
    July 17 - AF
    July 18 - 3 drinks - It showed on the scale this morning. My objective for drinking less is to lose weight, and this affirms it.
    July 19 - AF - I always feel like having drinks the day after having drinks, but I like not having a puffy face and belly better and I have somewhere to go tomorrow, plus I have tentative plans for Mojitos some time this weekend so needed to rack up an AF day. Also, no drinks 2 days in a row or the 3rd day is really tough to accomplish.
    July 20 - AF - Had another fake beer. Pretty good. The Labatt kind comes in a 6 pack bottles and is $7.99, which is way cheaper than real beer in Canada. I think for the real Labatt Blue it might be around $14.00, but I am not sure, I don't think that I have ever bought it. Booze is very expensive in Canada for those of you that didn't know that. I may just have another, kind of thirsty and only 50 calories ; - )
    July 21 - 4 drinks! - They were spaced out, but anything over 3 drinks and I puke usually. Of course I feel yucky today. I did not throw up, but had to lay down with bed spins. I definitely did not eat enough yesterday which contributed.
    July 22 - AF
    July 23 - AF - still haven't had a Mojito yet, I had probably had 50 of them by this time last summer. Hopefully the mint doesn't wilt before I finally have one. I have tried them with grocery store mint, and it does not taste good. The mint in my garden is so much better. This year on top of my perrenial mint, I am growing some interesting varieties in pots, like Strawberry mint and Berries and Cream, along with the usual Orange Mint and Chocolate mint. I have been chewing it all, just haven't turned any of them into a cocktail yet. Not the same without the rum. Hmm, maybe rum extract? I will think about that.
    July 24 - 3 drinks
    July 25 - AF - I have passed my AF tally of last month which ended with 16AF days. Planned Mojito making on Saturday, so want to be AF tomorrow too.
    July 26 - 3 drinks. Had planned on AF, but didn't. All of you in the East have been having a heat wave all summer and we pretty much just got summer here in the West today. Will power failed. Planned Mojito day tomorrow, so it will be two in a row which should be avoided because then day 3 it is too easy to have drinks. But yay, we finally got summer here! Went to the lake, resisted the first 5 drinks that I was offered, but then just decided to have a few. All good.
    July 27 - 3+? drinks. 3 types of Mojitos - Strawberry mint, chocolate mint, Berries and cream mint - but I poured less rum into my shakers, later on I have a couple of other things. So from noon until 10pm, I am not sure exactly how much I consumed. I had water in between and after, and feel okay today. The strawberry mint was getting to the flower stage, so that was the end of that. By this time last summer I had probably had more than 50 Mojitos, so I have definitely used some discipline.
    July 28 - AF
    July 29 - AF

Running total: 19 AF days out of 29 days so far.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a long and stressful work trip and while I was good the first day, I was not yet ready to be in that situation, you know the kind where it's required to show up to the late dinner event that drags on for too many hours and you get handed glasses of wine. I wanted to stay in my hotel room and not go because at the end of a long day and stressful trip, willpower for me weakened and I knew I would cave in. Anyway, I am back to my normal routine and plan to get back to doubling my "AF" days. I see it's almost August so good time to pick myself up and get going.
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear if anyone can recommend any good tasting wine-cooler type of products (low alcohol or no alcohol) or similar products sold in the US? Looking for products without all the sugar/high fructose corn syrup etc. I'd like to have these items on hand for those non AF days to replace higher alcohol wine.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I love how everyone here is sharing...the Good, Bad, and yes, Ugly, or even reading others' stories. It means you've become aware of alcohol being a little too mainstream in your life for your comfort level. I started off here this month with a pretty ugly story.

Since then, I've been on a drinking break. I knew that putting down the glass (ok, who are we kidding--bottle) meant picking up something else. I've been stuck for years in this mid-life funk. So, I've made a few changes that I really don't think I could have/would have made if still drinking an average of 3ish drinks a day. Eating and exercising more healthfully. Discovering Kombucha. Sleeping late without guilt. Bought a NICE camera and getting back to my creative outlet. Camping unplugged (but not uncorked!) I probably would have missed the moose crossing the lake had I been digging for an opener (oh, who are we kidding again--I switched to screwtops a year ago to ensure easy access). Started a Meetup series on Midlife Design (first meeting tonight!).

So if you're feeling a little stuck, consider picking something up for those times you're putting down a glass or bottle. Even if it's just glorious sleep!

Love it!!! Good for you Lisa!
  • MissMay
    Options
    I would love to hear if anyone can recommend any good tasting wine-cooler type of products (low alcohol or no alcohol) or similar products sold in the US? Looking for products without all the sugar/high fructose corn syrup etc. I'd like to have these items on hand for those non AF days to replace higher alcohol wine.

Willpower is tough during those work trips. Sounds like you did pretty good.

TRUELY makes a decent wine cooler...check it out.
    7ptsy3vyxvjb.jpg
    THE GOOD STUFF
    Styles: New Black Cherry, Wild Berry, Blueberry & Acai and Raspberry Lime.
    ABV: 5%
    Calories: 100
    Sugars: 1 g
    Carbs: 2 g
    Gluten free
    Available In: 12-pack slim cans, 3 cans per style
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

May - 18 AF days

July 01 - AF
    July 04 - 3 drinks
    July 05 - AF
    July 06 - 3 drinks
    July 07 - AF
    July 09 - AF
    July 11 - 3 drinks
    July 14 - AF
    July 15 - AF
    July 17 - AF
    July 22 - AF
    July 24 - 3 drinks
    July 28 - AF
    July 29 - AF
    July 30 - AF - So 20 AF days for the month. I had factored in having drinks on Tuesdays, my super early, long, and stressful day. It is Tuesday, but tomorrow morning is also the last weigh in for the month, so I abstained. Pleased with 20 AF days, up from 16 last month. It is the long weekend coming up, visitors in town, so I might cut myself a little slack, have some bbq and some drinks. We'll see.

Running total: 20 AF days out of 30 days so far.
  • MissMay
    Options
    That is a fantastic tally of 20 alcohol free days out of 30 for this month @dawnbgethealthy. I know you are mainly doing this for the weight loss and I hope you are seeing that scale move in a downward direction.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    You know how there is Sober January? Well, next year, I need a Dry July! I only had 8 AF days in all of this July. Way under my goal. I justified it all because we had a lot of parties and dinners out to go to. When we stayed in and cooked, well, hubby opened my favorite wine and of course I “had” to have one. Granted, most nights I only had one glass, but still, totally blew my goal of 4 AF per week. The nights I had 2-3 glasses of wine, well, I felt it the next day!

• dmbedard
    dmbedard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of y'all are social drinkers, and that's cool. But if you think you've got a problem, don't hesitate to reach out to Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous (depending on the specifics of your problem) for help. I've been clean/sober for 24+ years and I know it works One Day at a Time. The rest of you, enjoy a beer for me ;)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    You know how there is Sober January? Well, next year, I need a Dry July! I only had 8 AF days in all of this July. Way under my goal. I justified it all because we had a lot of parties and dinners out to go to. When we stayed in and cooked, well, hubby opened my favorite wine and of course I “had” to have one. Granted, most nights I only had one glass, but still, totally blew my goal of 4 AF per week. The nights I had 2-3 glasses of wine, well, I felt it the next day!

July was hard for me too! Something about the summer months just makes it harder 😥