But I Like Cardio More

Options
Terytha
Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
Everything I read is like, "you don't have to do cardio, its overrated and pointless and dumb" (I'm exaggerating slightly) and on and it seems like cardio is this huge chore to most people and they hate it?

But I like cardio and hate lifting. Lifting embodies everything that drives me away from physical fitness: boring repetition of exercises for the sake of exercise, usually needs equipment I don't have, means I have to go to a gym I very much can't afford (I have negative two dollars rn) and be around people which I hate, or do bodyweight exercises at home where I'd rather be doing something fun instead of feeling like a sweaty weakling loser while my cat judges me, and then it's this huge CHORE and my anxiety and depression start smothering me and then I comfort eat a cake. A whole one.

Do I have to? Can't I just lose weight, do I gotta force myself into the one thing I hate above all other things?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Do whatever makes you happy. Heavy lifting might give optimal results, but depending on your goals isn't strictly necessary. Maybe bodyweight routines are something you could work up to slowly (I had to lol about your cat judging you - know all about that!), or maybe you don't want to and that's that. The best exercise is the one you'll actually do.

I haven't lifted a weight since last November and they haven't kicked me out of here yet :wink: (I know I need to get back to it though...) It is good to keep in mind that weight-bearing exercises are important for maintaining bone strength and such as we age. I know you're young, but someday suddenly you won't be. That's how it works, lol.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love riding a bike. And Nordic skiing. And hiking. And climbing. I do all of these things because of passion.

I like looking good and and willing to lift at the gym for the benefits it gives me. But you don't have to. It sounds like you're pretty adamant about not wanting to right now, so don't. Maybe that will change one day, but for now, do the stuff that makes you happy.
  • hannahm120
    hannahm120 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you don’t have to lift although it has benefits. Adding muscle mass can increase your metabolic rate which means you’ll burn more calories at rest. As someone who hates lifting and is a fan of all things free, I watch/do Pilates and Zumba Strong videos on YouTube. They require no equipment and are essentially strength training disguised as cardio you can do from the comfort of your own home. Find what you enjoy and gets you closer to your goals. I can't speak to your cat judging you, mine think Pilates are a group activity :D
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I like exploring free and low cost options for exercise. Most of my exercise is walking and running. But I’ve also discovered exercise equipment designed for strength training along trails at my local parks. I occasionally use the equipment and am thinking I’d like to do so in a more regular schedule. I’m not keen on gyms. They just aren’t my thing. Since I am already at the park to walk or run, I think I can find a way to fit it in more regularly. I’m at an age where I need to consider that strength training can help with bone density.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    If you keep a very reasonable deficit, and eat enough protein, you may be able to end up with the same amount of muscle you have now.
    You obviously have that amount because you use it.

That is very chancy unless in a research study where they nail what a reasonable deficit is, hence the advice to do some resistance training, and it's harder to build muscle back up once lost, rather than keep it.

But even if you kept what you had - what's going to show when the fat is lost?
    Only you know.
    Sounds like you never would have done much for muscle since you don't enjoy the exercise to gain it.
    If you've ever done yo-yo traditional dieting - you've likely lost some.
    So you may not be happy with what shows up when the fat is gone.
    But if you wait until then, will you be happy with a just a number on a scale appearing to be good?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    ;) You sound a lot like me a few years back! I am a firm believer that not everything works for every-body! I was honestly at my best when I was doing primarily cardio (lost the majority of my weight and probably had a better attitude :p ) at a point I added some body-weight workouts at home. Silly me, started reading and listening to others and now, not so satisfied but trying to get back there. Take suggestions in stride, remember you may not always feel the way you do now and when/if that changes it will be what will work for you at the time you need it too. Also, remember you can lose weight without any working out.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    IMO, at least do some strength training for the health benefits, bone density comes to mind straight away. Oustide of that, life is too short to do things you hate...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »

[ But I like cardio and hate lifting. Lifting embodies everything that drives me away from physical fitness: boring repetition of exercises for the sake of exercise, usually needs equipment I don't have, means I have to go to a gym I very much can't afford (I have negative two dollars rn) and be around people which I hate, or do bodyweight exercises at home where I'd rather be doing something fun instead of feeling like a sweaty weakling loser while my cat judges me ].

.... you just need to get a different cat.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I mean, I still have negative two dollars. So even things that don't cost much are way too expensive unless they pay me to take them home. :/
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    http://www.shovelglove.com/

I bookmarked this link when I ran across it. Sounds like fun. Could probably be gamified. I went a different route and got a physical job with heavy lifting. I want functional more than pretty muscles. Getting paid to work out makes me happy.

I definitely hear you about the cardio. I'm a runner. Lifting weights feels pointless, unless I'm shifting a box from one belt to another, which I can get paid for. Then fitness is a welcome side effect.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I mean, I still have negative two dollars. So even things that don't cost much are way too expensive unless they pay me to take them home. :/

A bodyweight routine is free and can be done at home. Feed the cat before you work out. That stops mine from judging me.

Ultimately, though, no one's making you strength train. It's a good idea, but you don't have to do anything you don't want to.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you decide you want to try a YouTube workout (like HASfit) that involves dumbbells you can just do it without holding anything in your hands for weights. Or canned vegetables or a water bottle are each about the same as a one pound dumbbell.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Like you, I prefer cardio and don't like the idea of exercise just for exercise sake. I do have a couple of hand weights that I use occasionally in hopes of doing something about my batwings and I'll do things like planks, leglifts, yoga and situps after my runs to strengthen my core and increase my flexibility because it makes me a better runner, but that's as far as I'm likely to go.