Exercise makes it hard to get to sleep

Options
I'm new to exercising. I've only been doing it since June 4th--moderate-intensity walks of increasing length and frequency. And contrary to my previous experiences with exercise, when I'd go on a walk and be wiped out for at least the rest of the day, I find that after I finish a workout, I am FILLED with energy. And that energy remains for the rest of the day... so much so, that it's hard to get to sleep at a reasonable hour: I'm still buzzed at bedtime, hours after my walk. Everything I can find about sleep and exercise says that exercise makes it easier to go to sleep rather than harder, so I'm baffled. Has anyone else had the same experience? And if you have, is it something that goes away with time, or will I have to start going on my walk as soon as the sun comes up?

Replies

• roobella
    roobella Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I exercise too late in the day it has that effect
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    How late is too late, though? I'd say that my latest walk might have ended at 6 PM, which gives 6 hours before I try to go to bed. And I usually try to go as early in the day as possible--it hasn't been too early lately, due to being awake until 3 or 4 AM, but even waking up really late means walks that usually end before 3 PM.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What else have you changed lately?
  • darklyndsea
    Options
    I've been drinking more water and have switched my snacks mostly to nuts and vegetables instead of candy. I'm also probably drinking less Coke, but if anything I'd think that would make it easier to get to be, not harder. Otherwise, everything else is the same.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience, with more vigorous exercise. You could try slowing down and walking longer. Or get up and get it done at 5 am--you will probably find it quite easy to go to bed in the evening if you start your day that early.

I use melatonin to aid in falling asleep if I'm having problems. I take it 1-2 hours before bedtime. Talk to your doc and do some research on it. Changing your eating and exercise habits will not be to your benefit, long term, if your sleep is off. Sleep is actually the most basic and essential component of good health and will affect your weight, hormones, everything, often undermining (in the long run) your overall health. Good luck in putting together a health plan that allows you good sleep, healthy eating, and regular exercise. Your elder self will thank you!
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I'm the same so I try to exercise in the morning when I can. It could also be a sudden change in diet, especially a reduction in carbs. I've had a severe sleep disorder in the past which resulted in hospitalisation (and even medications couldn't get me more than 3 hours sleep per night). I had to reset my body clock. The two most helpful things were exercising at first light of day and switching my limited daily carb intake from morning to evening. If you have drastically cut back on carbs, this could also play a part. If you think this what's happening, there is plenty of research around. I've attached an article from the National Sleep Foundation about it.
    https://www.sleep.org/articles/what-is-tryptophan/
  • darklyndsea
    Options
    I'm out of shape and have asthma, so I'm not walking any faster than a comfortable walking pace--faster than a lot of people walk in a mall, but not what most people consider to be exercise speed. And I take a lot of breaks, especially once I turn around and start coming back, so that I can avoid triggering my asthma. Melatonin is something I tried in the past, but it didn't work, and it had a side effect that really sucked: I'd stand up from sitting, and get so dizzy I couldn't even stay standing.

I do get an adequate amount of sleep--fringe benefit of unemployment: I can get a full night's sleep no matter what time I go to sleep. I'd just rather not have a sleep schedule that has me going to sleep when the sun's coming up.

I don't know if I've drastically cut back on carbs. I've cut back some, as an unintended consequence of changing my snack foods, but my snack foods in the past would switch between cheez-its and similar crackers, and chocolates and candy, on no set schedule, and when I was eating candy I didn't experience the same difficulty in getting to sleep.