Too Hot to Ignore

Options

Replies

• Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the PSA, but it is difficult for many to understand how a parent could "forget" a child in the car. My kids are 15 months apart, so I went through a couple years of sleep deprivation. When they were small, things were difficult.

I've almost knocked myself out cold with my own car door.
    I've had trouble remembering if I brushed my teeth or the last time I showered.
    I've driven away with my purse on the roof of my car.

But I remembered the kids, diaper bag, double stroller, baby sling, cart cover, and change of clothing. For them. Not for me.

When I watched this, I actually thought they were addressing the video to bystanders. I think this PSA has given up hope on that mom.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

The logic behind this is that if you always place your purse in the backseat you always have to get it. Parents often forget they have the baby when there is a schedule change. Its easy to do if you aren't the one that takes the baby to daycare everyday. How many times have you been driving somewhere and take the exit to go to work when you are really meaning to go somewhere else? Its the same principle. It is really easy to get road hypnosis if you have a commute and just go through the motions of your regular routine. This is actually how the majority of these deaths occur. Most are not left in the car on purpose.

Before I was a father, I couldn't believe that parents could forget their child was in the car. They even make sensors that you can attach to the car seat that will make an alarm go off on your key chain once they are not in close range. It seemed quite odd that it would happen. I mean, it's your child. Then I thought, maybe - since I wasn't a father - there was something I was missing. Maybe...

Then I had a child.

And it only solidified my previous notions.

But I guess it only takes once.

Naw, I'm with you. My kids would never sit there and watch me go, either. They wouldn't even let me poop by myself.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Just a public service reminder. It is hot outside.

Do not leave your kids in the car for even a second to run into the store, a friends house, work or school to pick up one thing. It doesn't take long to lose the most precious thing you have and nothing is so important that it cannot wait or be done with the little one in tow.

Put something, like your purse or your cellphone on the back seat so that you will always have to check the backseat before you leave the car.

Rolling down a window is not enough and leaving the car running is just stupid dangerous.

I saw this video this morning and I cried and struggled to even finish it. Every moment I just wanted to look away but we can't keep looking away. If you see a child or a pet left in the car don't just turn away, do something! It is your business and you may just save a life.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200264008786080

Put something really important in the back seat that you'd never forget just so you remember to get your child?

You seemed perplexed by this logic. It's something "really important" you know...nothing like your own child.

The logic behind this is that if you always place your purse in the backseat you always have to get it. Really Irresponsible Parents often forget they have the baby when there is a schedule change. Its easy to do if you aren't the one that takes the baby to daycare everyday. How many times have you been driving somewhere and take the exit to go to work when you are really meaning to go somewhere else? Its the same principle. It is really easy to get road hypnosis if you have a commute and just go through the motions of your regular routine. This is actually how the majority of these deaths occur. Most are not left in the car on purpose.

And "forgetting" your child in the car on a hot day is NOT the same as missing your exit or going to work when you meant to go somewhere else.

IF you take the responsibility of being a parent seriously, you don't forget the child...not saying people think they're going to run and out of the store real quick and think it would be easier to leave the kid in there for "just a second"...which is also not the best thing in the world to do, but you don't forget you have your child.

At least, that my opinion.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just a public service reminder. It is hot outside.

Do not leave your kids in the car for even a second to run into the store, a friends house, work or school to pick up one thing. It doesn't take long to lose the most precious thing you have and nothing is so important that it cannot wait or be done with the little one in tow.

Put something, like your purse or your cellphone on the back seat so that you will always have to check the backseat before you leave the car.

Rolling down a window is not enough and leaving the car running is just stupid dangerous.

I saw this video this morning and I cried and struggled to even finish it. Every moment I just wanted to look away but we can't keep looking away. If you see a child or a pet left in the car don't just turn away, do something! It is your business and you may just save a life.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200264008786080

Put something really important in the back seat that you'd never forget just so you remember to get your child?

You seemed perplexed by this logic. It's something "really important" you know...nothing like your own child.

The logic behind this is that if you always place your purse in the backseat you always have to get it. Parents often forget they have the baby when there is a schedule change. Its easy to do if you aren't the one that takes the baby to daycare everyday. How many times have you been driving somewhere and take the exit to go to work when you are really meaning to go somewhere else? Its the same principle. It is really easy to get road hypnosis if you have a commute and just go through the motions of your regular routine. This is actually how the majority of these deaths occur. Most are not left in the car on purpose.

If I had a purse, I'm pretty sure that I would be far more likely to forget it than my kids. I realize that this message is appropriate for some parents but that fact makes me weep for humanity. Okay, the need for the message in the OP also makes me weep for humanity.

<< Embarrassed to be human . . .

Sadly the message is needed. We live these horribly hectic lives where what is important is forgotten and what is trivial is fresh in our mind. Every 10 days a child dies from this in just the US alone. It is completely preventable.

I'm with the other posters that are baffled that a parent could "forget" their kid. I'm a father of two. I'd forget my own name before I'd forget my kids.

I'm afraid that there is no way to get around the fact that there is a small subset of the population that shouldn't breed. Lousy parents. They do exist. It's a shame, but true.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Pshhhh my kid doesn't shut up long enough for me to forget her... :laugh:

I kid.

I also second the, I just don't see how folks....

I forget a lot of things. Like...
    Where I put my phone
    Did I pay the water bill yet
    What the cat's name is
    A lot of people's birthdays
    If I started the washer/dryer
    What I did with the flipping car keys

But not my kid
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I am not arguing to excuse or forgive the mistakes of the parents who forget their kid. I cannot imagine doing it myself but it is like why we keep saying watch your kids around water. All it takes is one parent making one stupid choice or just not paying enough attention to kill an innocent child. The more attention brought to this the more parents will take it seriously. Sure it take a bit longer for the dumb or the selfish parents to come around but the rest of us should keep our eyes open and be willing to do something if we see this sort of thing happen.
  • triciab79
    Options
    BTW Every single parent this has ever happened to didn't think it could possibly happen to their child. Everyone of them would have said they would never forget their child.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    That was without question the hardest thing I've ever forced myself to watch. One minute in I was sobbing uncontrollably and rocking my own small boy in my arms. Thanks for sharing. People need to know.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I know that was just a PSA video but, its sad that things like that actually happen. When I lived in florida, a business man left his child in the car all day on "accident". Excuse me, that's no "accident"...that's just stupidity.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I am not arguing to excuse or forgive the mistakes of the parents who forget their kid. I cannot imagine doing it myself but it is like why we keep saying watch your kids around water. All it takes is one parent making one stupid choice or just not paying enough attention to kill an innocent child. The more attention brought to this the more parents will take it seriously. Sure it take a bit longer for the dumb or the selfish parents to come around but the rest of us should keep our eyes open and be willing to do something if we see this sort of thing happen.

I agree that I cannot fathom forgetting my child, but I vividly remember a story last year where a father who wasn't used to a routine forgot his children in the back seat. They were left in his vehicle all day, and they both died.

Along the same lines, an upstanding mother in my community ran over her 1 year old baby backing out of her driveway earlier this year and killed her. It was devastating. She assumed the baby was with her father and had no idea she was out of the house.

Because of stories like this, I have gotten almost annoying making sure my kids are in my sight at all itmes. Even when they're just a few steps behind me, I get immediately anxious.

Everybody seems to be so quick to judge these parents who could "forget" their kids, and my guess is that you can't imagine happening it to you.....until it does.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Great reminder Tricia. Doubly true in AZ right now!
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    That video sent a message but I was scratching my head at the morons who just waved at the baby or couldn't open the doors so just walked away. lol
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This has happened way too many times in my area already,I live in south texas.There was one incident where the uncle of the baby boy was supposed to take him to daycare and forgot about him.That child was left in the car for hours and was found only after someone asked the uncle to move his truck.

I have a 2 year old who throws a fit the moment I step out of the car and close my door and I also have a 7 month old who is also clingy.I can't step out of sight of the 7 month old before she starts crawling after me lol.I really can't see how anyone can forget they have kids in the car....I've forgotten plenty of things...but not my kids.
  • triciab79
    Options
    That was without question the hardest thing I've ever forced myself to watch. One minute in I was sobbing uncontrollably and rocking my own small boy in my arms. Thanks for sharing. People need to know.

I am in the same shape. I just think of it and I want to go get my baby up from his nap so I can hold him.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That video sent a message but I was scratching my head at the morons who just waved at the baby or couldn't open the doors so just walked away. lol

Right? I'd have broken a window, called the cops, and stayed there till somebody came and got that baby.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my biggest fear in the world leaving a child in a hot car.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

I am in the same shape. I just think of it and I want to go get my baby up from his nap so I can hold him.

Yep. Leaving work now and will see my boy's smiling face soon.

I didn't mean to belittle the point, I know that there are people that need to take extra care to not forget - but that doesn't mean I understand it fully.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Buying this when hopefully my baby is born. It's an alert to your keys if you forget them.

http://babyalert.info/childminder-smart-clip-system.html

bai_001_p.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Yep. Leaving work now and will see my boy's smiling face soon.

I didn't mean to belittle the point, I know that there are people that need to take extra care to not forget - but that doesn't mean I understand it fully.

I'm sitting next to my little one while she naps. Life is good. Very good.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Everybody seems to be so quick to judge these parents who could "forget" their kids, and my guess is that you can't imagine happening it to you.....until it does.

my exact thoughts