Does anyone actually like kale?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I like kale sauteed in chicken stock with onions and garlic. That's honestly what I do with all the more bitter leafy greens. You need to let it cook down a bit to soften up IMHO. I'm reading the post above mine and now I'm thinking it would be awesome to add some cannelini beans!

I'll eat baby kale in a salad with other baby greens but don't particularly like it raw on it's own.

I hate celery. I even leave it in the bottom of the bowl in chicken soup. I replace it with cucumbers in tuna salad. Yuck.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    kale sucks.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Well, I use kale for this soup I make and it's really good actually. It's a brothy soup made with russet potatoes, italian sausage and kale. It's really good. But I can't actually taste the kale, it just tastes like the rest of the soup but in leaf form.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I like kale, but why do you keep trying to eat it if you don't like it?

It's just a leafy green veg, it's nothing special. Eat foods you like, that hit your calorie and macro goals.

This. I like kale in soups and stews, but I don't see the point in forcing something I don't like down.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Celery is great - kale is ok - I mostly like it roasted into kale crisps.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    I grew a whole bunch of it to discover it was not something I enjoyed even buried in a stir fry. 3 years on and it still pops up self seeded in garden... I let things go to seed for bees. The self seeded silver beet is much tastier.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    I rather like kale, roasted with a bit of salt...
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I like kale! mostly for salad making. the key is to massage it (usually with a pinch of salt) to help break down some of the fiber and let it sit for 10 minutes. I tend to use dinosaur kale aka lacinato. yum!
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    I only like it when it's paired with something sweet, like some kind of sweet salad dressing or fruit dishes. It makes for a nice juxtaposition between the bitterness of the kale and the sweetness of the other foods. But on its own? Do not like.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I like
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I have not met a veggie that I do not like, kale included. Its knowing what to do with produce that make a difference. Also, there is zero need for you to eat something you dont like, none.

While I agree that knowing how to cook produce (among other things) makes all the difference, as does said produce actually being in season, there are plenty of vegetables that I don't like and a handful of fruit as well. I almost never like kale though I suspect I would prefer really young kale leaves due to their being less better when they're younger. Zucchini and really summer squashes in general, are another.
    There are also, of course, fruits and vegetables that I don't like cooked/processed in xyz ways. Cooked or macerated strawberries are a no go for instance.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I do in certain recipes. Most recently, in a three-green (kale, spinach, and Swiss chard) tian with potatoes.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It's not my favourite but I love it in soups and eggs
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Kale is the anti-Christ.
  • tcbodie
    tcbodie Posts: 5 Member
    I Do NOT like Kale. I have tried it multiple ways and it's all pretty bitter and disgusting. Just my opinion though. I know that it's health benefits are great however, I just cannot.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I don’t like kale. I prefer Swiss chard or spinach.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    I made a Zuppa Toscana (copy cat version of Olive Garden soup) with kale in the crockpot which came out very good
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    There are very few foods that I dislike and refuse to eat; grilled liver of any kind is one of them but liverswurst, pate and foie gras are ok. LOL! ;)

Kale tastes fine to me but I don't eat it every day and only use it in soups, mainly lentil. Don't think that lentil soup would taste the same or as good using any other type of greens.

I also eat other leafy greens like swiss chard, collard greens, beet greens and bok choy, which I use in specific recipes but do not eat them daily or even monthly; just when I feel like preparing/eating those things.

I'd eat spinach more often too but seldom do, not because I dislike it but because I consider it too expensive and perishable for the amount of food it yields.

I don't eat these things because they are considered "healthy" or "good for me" but because they make sense in the recipe that I want to cook and taste good to me as prepared.

But, if you just can't stomach kale, then just don't eat it or anything else that you dislike. There are many other things that you can choose to eat.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Sure, I like kale prepared in certain ways. But you don't have to eat it if you don't like it--no big deal.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    I blend it with other things. Kale chips are cool too but I need to drown it in seasoning!
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    I do like kale - prefer it to spinach in salads and soups. Love kale chips. I do not like raw spinach but love cooked, pureed spinach. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.