Those of us who workout at home!

Options
I workout at home. I have a small space in the basement (okay, tiny, cramped, dim, spiderwebby....) but it needs some TLC. We are down to two kids, from four, and I would like to seriously give myself a decent workout space. Get rid of junk, maybe take down a wall, drywall, make it my own!

For those of you who have home workout spaces, show me your pics! I need some inspiration!

Replies

• CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Mine is nothing to brag about...I workout in my basement. It sounds a little like what you described. I call it the Dungeon. I have a large 8 foot table in which I have a TV and DVD player. I keep a small fan and a large fan there. I also have my iPod player on it. Over to the side is a large box where I keep all of my resistance bands, weighted gloves, etc. Then I have a large utility shelf that stores all of my workout DVD's...it's getting ridiculous! I'm addicted to home workouts. And then under my table I keep some of my weights and barbells along with aerobic steps. Thank God my Total Gym folds up or it would just take up way too much space. No pics because it's nothing to brag about but it works GREAT for me:)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out at home, and yeah, the 'dungeon' is what it has always been like. I just think after 20 years, after redoing the kitchen, bedrooms and both bathrooms, now it's time for a 'me' space! haha

I'm just curious as to what people have done to make that space their own. I spend a lot of time there, and I want it to look as nice as it makes me feel!
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You can see most of my home gym in my profile picture. I also have a deadlift platform, GHD, and punching bag not pictured.
  • DenyseMarieL
    Options
    That's pretty great, actually. I don't have nearly that amount of space. I also have to move things out of my way when I workout, then push them back when I am done. Sort of a pain in the a**.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be inspiring but all my workouts generally don't involve any kit other than a pilates mat and hand weights. I do this in my living room, which is about 3m x 2m which is plenty big enough. Other than that I just go outdoors and run and cycle.

Not very helpful at all really.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill in the garage, nothing special
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use my bedroom.

I have a treadmill, exercise bike and a punch bag in there.

It is pretty cramped with having a bed in there, and the GF doesn't fully appreciate it, but it does the job!
  • Brown523
    Brown523 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I live in an apartment and have half of the basement. I brought a TV down there and and my yoga mat. That's about as far as I have gotten. It's basically a cement floor, cobwebby and needs a good sweeping. Now to bring down the DVD player and put some mats down it would be a much better place for getting my sweat on! .
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a workout room! Our house is pretty small, so unfortunately, I don't. I use my living room for my videos after I push the coffee table out of the way (so most of one DVD rack is full of my DVDs). A cabinet has my universal dumbbells, and my resistance bands. The closet has my yoga mat. Upstairs in the spare bedroom is my elliptical. One of these years...a house with a third bedroom!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ehhhh, my livingroom. I push the coffee table out of the way and have at it. I'd *love* more space, but it's not going to happen for a while. Bah.
  • Nico_the_enabler
    Nico_the_enabler Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would take a pic.. but.. it looks terrible. We have two single internal garages. Its one of them. Usefull, but terrible. LOL. Have an old gym weight lifting machine with 4 stations, a treadmill, bike and boxing bag. various balls and mats blah blah. but all my workout dvds etc are upstairs below the big tv. lol. Dear me, my house is turning into a gym. lolol
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm TOTALLY spoiled, I know. I admit it freely. We have a big room in the basement for our gym, still unfinished, but not really a dungeon ... I have pictures on my blog http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/07/j-gym.html
  • DenyseMarieL
    Options
    WOW! that's still pretty fabulous!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have the unfinished upstairs of a house in the country. I have a weight bench and a bunch of barbells and dumbbells. There are big windows and a sliding glass door, and I love the view any time of year. I don't know what I am going to do when we actually get to the point of finishing the upstairs. Basement or garage, I suppose. Hopefully garage, because I don't want to be in the damp dark cellar.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I just use the tiny sliver of a living room I have. Before i moved out i used the tiny sliver of a bed room I had lol. I move anything I can out of the way. Comes stocked with a barbell +discs and some dumbbells,a step up box and some ball thing I'm supposed to use for my abs but instead i sit on and pretend I'm an airbender :laugh:
  • PlayboyMickey81
    Options
    Hi I workout inside and out depending on my shift at work, but when I workout at home...... I do it in the living room because I don't need a lot of space to do P90X or Taebo or even the WII. You just mostly move in place or to left and right at about 3 FT :)
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    We use our bonus room. It's nothing special but it has plenty of room for everything we need, including an area to do DVD's. I will try to post a picture...not sure if I remember how though.

]workoutroom_zps3478eafd.jpg
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    We use our bonus room. It's nothing special but it has plenty of room for everything we need, including an area to do DVD's. I will try to post a picture...not sure if I remember how though.

]workoutroom_zps3478eafd.jpg

this is nice!!!
  • DenyseMarieL
    Options
    That is VERY nice!
  • AFMOMX2
    AFMOMX2 Posts: 18
    Options
    My husband hated my workout equipment in the house. He built a room for me in his shop, it has heat and A/C. Big enough for a treadmill, exercise bike and weight set. Has a TV and DVD player and enough room to do exercise videos. We built it when our boys were still home and painted it their school colors (maroon and gray) with gray carpet. We also hung up all there sports pictures in it. Now I hang up my half marathon bibs and medals in there as well. It's a nice escape place for me. Now he's trying to move me into one of the boys rooms in the house and make it his mancave....I don't think so. :laugh: