Protein amounts

Options
I feeling very confused! How on earth do people eat a balanced diet without exceeding their protein daily amounts? Everything now-a-days seems to be protein enriched, but I eat quite low calories and only have eggs/chicken as protein sources and my protein count is way higher than what is recommended (.8/kg).... But people still drink protein shakes etc? Does protein increase with activity level, because everything I’m reading suggests that the average adult should only be consuming around 50-70g of protein daily.

Do you include protein from everything you consume? Or just from meat etc?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    .8 g/kg is a minimum, and there are many circumstances (including being in a calorie deficit) that can make it desirable to go higher. There's certainly no harm, barring some specific medical condition such as existing kidney problems, in going higher.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I've also been looking at the subject of protein and macros. Yesterday, I found a useful MedicalNewsToday report, which I read a bit more of today. Further down the article it says that eating more than 2g per kg, for a long time, can cause health problems (and lists a set of potential issues), but it does say that up to 2g doesn't cause any side effects.

1g-2g, per kg of body weight seems sensible.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't panic about protein. There is a lot of nonsense out there about how much we should consume etc.

If you exercise then it's a good idea to eat around 0.5-1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight a day.

For example i currently weigh around 149 lbs, my daily protein goal is set to 150 grams but i normally go over by about 20 grams.

If you don't exercise then 70g daily is enough, but try to stay above this as protein is important.
    If you go over it's totally fine, will do you no harm.

KateCassie wrote: »
    I feeling very confused! How on earth do people eat a balanced diet without exceeding their protein daily amounts? Everything now-a-days seems to be protein enriched, but I eat quite low calories and only have eggs/chicken as protein sources and my protein count is way higher than what is recommended (.8/kg).... But people still drink protein shakes etc? Does protein increase with activity level, because everything I’m reading suggests that the average adult should only be consuming around 50-70g of protein daily.

Do you include protein from everything you consume? Or just from meat etc?

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned it sounds like the recommended minimum for someone who isn't very active. Unless you have a medical condition and it is not causing you to neglect other areas of nutrition, going higher in protein is typically fine. I haven't read any concrete studies that would deter me from eating high protein. I usually aim for 135-160g a day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Eating "excess" protein is not "harmful" unless you are eating extreme amounts and have a potential kidney sensitity.

A ,high protein diet at 0.8-1.2g/# BW will provide the nutients/ amino acids necessary to promote mUscular development, especially if consumed while engaged in heavy lifting activity .

Otherwise, it's nothing to really worry about provided you are eating an orherwise "balanced" diet.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I don't want to argue. I never said that consuming only plants would meet your protein goals. I don't eat tofu and hate soy.

I eat a plant based diet with seafood, eggs and cheese. I asked what foods were protein enriched because I'm interested in learning.
  • chamberstracy614
    chamberstracy614 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on a special diet. I am to eat 80 grams or more of protein and 80 grams or less of carbs. Plus drink 12-14 cups of water a day