HIIT Workouts

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think the point is that the classic Tabata protocol is HIIT, but not all HIIT is Tabata. That doesn't make it "not as good" in the abstract.

Similarly, not all intense intervals are HIIT, but that doesn't discount their value.

It's just about not over-broadening terminology until meaning becomes diluted; and to be careful that if we're going attribute specific benefits to something, that there's research linking those specific benefits to that specific thing (or something very close), not just to something someone's calling by the same name.

Quoted and bolded for truth.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    If you can do it for 1 hour and 15 minutes, it can't be HIIT. Also, due to it's impact on the central nervous system, HIIT (real HIIT) is not recommended more than twice, maybe 3 x per week.

^^^This...
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    I'm loving this work out at the moment
    My plan is to work out 5x per week and 2 rest days
    I usually work out 1 hour 15min...and am huffing and puffing and dripping in sweat..but in a good way :)
    I would actually do this work out daily but I dont want to over exert myself and risk injury etc...seem reasonable?

Im using youtube..loving Astrid swam and the 30 min popsugar videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckvlw9BsBg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioINZIzgbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S92-wZ_tfMTIA!
    Kim

Despite the marketing, this is not HIIT. It may be a good workout but is a classic example of how the use of the term HIIT gets applied to anything and everything these days. If you can do it for 1 hour and 15 minutes, it can't be HIIT. Also, due to it's impact on the central nervous system, HIIT (real HIIT) is not recommended more than twice, maybe 3 x per week. Most of the this information has already been posted earlier in this thread.

Good luck with you workout. I hope it achieves your goals

Thanks ...appreciate the insight :)
    I usually watch 2-3 videos per work out session... but I should add def need a break in between the videos (and lots of water) ..I'm toast by the end..LOL
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Just some clarification on what seems to be a never ending grey area....

At some point, Tabata licensed the use of his name to forms of intervals other than the IE1 protocol that many people know about. The below article shows a trailer and claims the official recognition into the circuit stuff was in 2018. I think I had seen this video trailer even prior to 2018, but I could be wrong.

https://bodybuilding.com/content/the-real-tabata-a-brutal-circuit-from-the-protocols-inventor.html

So in that respect the post by @Strongfitmoma100412 is correct in that she is doing "Tabata." The posts by others speaking of IE1 protocol are correct as well, it's just different forms of Tabata.

I've personally seen so many articles by fitness organizations, arguments on forums, and just grey area in general that I don't really know who to consider the authority on what is an isn't HIIT. But I really don't care either, since any hard to extreme intervals seem to have benefits. Can you reach 170% of VO2max doing circuits? I'm not sure. But I am sure you can do circuits that will dig into anaerobic power levels and create oxygen debt, so to me that will give benefits.

As for the discussion on "true" HIIT by some claiming it will leave you in a withering mess on the floor, I'll openly disagree. I've done true IE1 protocol Tabata on my elliptical machine, and even did the program for a week the way they did in the study. It's hard, but not crazy hard, and I recovered quick enough to be able to do steady state stuff following it, even when I had done extended and incorrectly high warm ups.

IE1 protocol is NOT based on "full out" effort. It is based on reaching 170% of VO2max. Without some type of power measure, it's just a guess what people are doing. Having done the protocol on a machine with a reliable power measure, it wasn't as crazy as some people think. This is not to say I disagree with what some state about "max effort" workouts. If I went full out every interval the recovery and stresses would no doubt be more extreme. I think I've tested up into the 200-210% of VO2max levels just screwing around. Tabata even tried another protocol using 200% VO2max as the work segment.

And as for calorie burn.... well IMO for any given period of time I can burn a much higher amount of calories just doing a steady state exercise that uses my legs as the primary power source.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 1 hour 15min...and am huffing and puffing and dripping in sweat..but in a good way :)
    I would actually do this work out daily but I dont want to over exert myself and risk injury etc...seem reasonable?

Kim

Despite the marketing, this is not HIIT. It may be a good workout but is a classic example of how the use of the term HIIT gets applied to anything and everything these days. If you can do it for 1 hour and 15 minutes, it can't be HIIT. Also, due to it's impact on the central nervous system, HIIT (real HIIT) is not recommended more than twice, maybe 3 x per week. Most of the this information has already been posted earlier in this thread.

Good luck with you workout. I hope it achieves your goals

Thanks ...appreciate the insight :)
    I usually watch 2-3 videos per work out session... but I should add def need a break in between the videos (and lots of water) ..I'm toast by the end..LOL

I'm glad you are enjoying this and it's keeping you active. I will also agree with others that it's not "true" HIIT - if you can do more than one, even with a break in between, it's not "true" HIIT. But - it's a great workout anyway and that's what's important!

I think we're all just trying to explain the difference between real HIIT and waht gets marketed as HIIT.

But - I recon as long as you're happy doing it, then keep at it!
  • robertw486
    Options
    Just a bump to add the below link, which was an attempt at better defining HIIT. Since people so often disagree on how it's defined, maybe some more insight from people would give us a thread that better defines it?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10650144/hiit-defined-what-is-or-isnt-hiit#latest
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Im pretty sure im doing it right. My heart rate gets up to 180-190. I burn 200 calories in 10 mins.
    And yes I wear a heart rate monitor. Yes Im doing HIIT

Ive been working out for 30 years have been in the fitness industry for 15 years. Im pretty sure I know what Im doing.

You are aware that heart rate monitors are inaccurate for HIIT to the point of being useless for calorie counts right? It's highly unlikely you are burning 20 calories in 10 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Not that Wikipedia is all that as the end all be all authority, but I found this part useful (and applicable to what some of you are asking about what defines HIIT).

Tabata regimen[edit]
    A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[10] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters. The study used 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[11] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, for 6 weeks and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min)), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min)). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits. In the original study from 1996, participants were disqualified if they could not keep a steady cycling pace of 85RPM for the full 20 seconds of work.[relevant? – discuss]
    In popular culture, "Tabata training" has now come to refer to a wide variety of HIIT protocols and exercise regimens [12] that may or may not have similar benefits to those found in Tabata's original study.

I do this one rowing workout. Not all the time because it's too strenuous for me personally, but it's helpful to build Wattage. It's a pretty well known Ed McNeely workout.

You basically find out what our max Wattage is on the rower (there's a Wattage reading toggle on the C2). Then you write that down. The workout is 10 second sprints, one minute off. Whenever your Wattage falls below 80% of your max, the workout is done. You shoot for 20 reps.

Similar to the study listed in Wikipedia. By most standards, if it's true HIIT, there's a measurable metric that can be accounted for. Once you stop hitting that metric/measure standard, you're not really doing HIIT, you're just simply elevating your HR. That's why things like Sprinting, Cycling (using Power meters), Rowers and other equipment where you can quantifiably measure output are useful in HIIT. Things like Mountain Climbers or Burpees tend to be much more subjective to the person doing them.

Now, let's say you use a Plyo Box. How many times you can jump up a certain height on a Plyo box in 20 seconds would be a nice measure. Dangerous if not matted, but a nice measure never the less. Once you can't do it a certain amount of times, why are you doing it?

Saying if someone does more than 4 minutes, it can't be HIIT is silly, though. I know guys that are in three times the shape I'm in that easily can do more than 4 minutes of HIIT. Now, granted, they are also doing 150K meters a week on the rower, so massive amounts of slower endurance work. But you can't really say, by definition, that someone can't be doing HIIT if it lasts over 4 minutes. That's just not true.

This guy's in his 60s. He's a World Champion Indoor Rower. His intervals are insane and well beyond 4 minutes. Most guys on college crew teams would be hard pressed to do his workouts.

https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169648
    HIIT isn't the same a Tabata protocol. HIIT can be done beyond 4 minutes. A correct Tabata protocol really can't. Again, we're speaking a full out sprint and how many can sprint full out for more than 4 minutes? In Tabata, by about the 3rd cycle, most people would be gassed and couldn't continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Not that Wikipedia is all that as the end all be all authority, but I found this part useful (and applicable to what some of you are asking about what defines HIIT).

Tabata regimen[edit]
    A version of HIIT was based on a 1996 study[10] by Professor Izumi Tabata (田畑泉) et al. initially involving Olympic speedskaters. The study used 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). The exercise was performed on a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. Tabata called this the IE1 protocol.[11] In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, for 6 weeks and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state training (70% VO2max) 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 mL/(kg•min)), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 mL/(kg•min)). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits. In the original study from 1996, participants were disqualified if they could not keep a steady cycling pace of 85RPM for the full 20 seconds of work.[relevant? – discuss]
    In popular culture, "Tabata training" has now come to refer to a wide variety of HIIT protocols and exercise regimens [12] that may or may not have similar benefits to those found in Tabata's original study.

I do this one rowing workout. Not all the time because it's too strenuous for me personally, but it's helpful to build Wattage. It's a pretty well known Ed McNeely workout.

You basically find out what our max Wattage is on the rower (there's a Wattage reading toggle on the C2). Then you write that down. The workout is 10 second sprints, one minute off. Whenever your Wattage falls below 80% of your max, the workout is done. You shoot for 20 reps.

Similar to the study listed in Wikipedia. By most standards, if it's true HIIT, there's a measurable metric that can be accounted for. Once you stop hitting that metric/measure standard, you're not really doing HIIT, you're just simply elevating your HR. That's why things like Sprinting, Cycling (using Power meters), Rowers and other equipment where you can quantifiably measure output are useful in HIIT. Things like Mountain Climbers or Burpees tend to be much more subjective to the person doing them.

Now, let's say you use a Plyo Box. How many times you can jump up a certain height on a Plyo box in 20 seconds would be a nice measure. Dangerous if not matted, but a nice measure never the less. Once you can't do it a certain amount of times, why are you doing it?

Saying if someone does more than 4 minutes, it can't be HIIT is silly, though. I know guys that are in three times the shape I'm in that easily can do more than 4 minutes of HIIT. Now, granted, they are also doing 150K meters a week on the rower, so massive amounts of slower endurance work. But you can't really say, by definition, that someone can't be doing HIIT if it lasts over 4 minutes. That's just not true.

I don't think niner was saying it's not HIIT if it's over 4 minutes. He was saying it's no the Tabata protocol. Possibly he'll clarify. Buyt that's how I read his comment above.

You might be right but Tabata is just a form of HIIT. I've seen Tabata where you rest one minute after a four minute block and continue doing four minute blocks. Is that Tabata then? If someone still has the same intensity, I'd say yes, it is. I think what he was saying is after four minutes, you should be done if you do it right. Not necessarily.

Personally, I might be done, but not world class athletes.
    On the contrary, Tabata is NOT a form of HIIT because most HIIT don't require 100% effort. Again I'll state, if you run a race at 100% with just a 10 second rest and have to do another 100% race and another 10 second rest, you're not going beyond 4 minutes and not likely going 100% again after that protocol and resting 1 min.
    You CAN do high intensity interval training, but that's at 85%-90%. Most people have no idea how to go 100% in 4 minutes. I would challenge anyone to just box, hitting and swinging with all your might for 3 minutes and see if you can recover to do the same in 1 minute.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png,
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Im pretty sure im doing it right. My heart rate gets up to 180-190. I burn 200 calories in 10 mins.

Ive been working out for 30 years have been in the fitness industry for 15 years. Im pretty sure I know what Im doing.

I suggest doing an experiment with a small amount of research prior. First do some research into how calories are most accurately calculated on a bike. The answer is with a power meter, but you don't need to take my word for it, a lot has been written about this from people who are more qualified than both of us (ie people who work with professional cyclists).

After you've done that, get on a bike with an accurate power meter (keyword be "accurate" - do a zero offset or calibrate it if need be) and get something that can record and save the metrics from your ride (most importantly power and HR over time). I'm pretty sure Strava would do that as can any of the Garmin devices that accept power meter data. After you've gotten all of that, do a ride of 5 intervals of 3 min at 130 watts/2 minutes at 90 watts with a 5 min warm up and cool down on either side of the interval session (wearing your HR monitor of course). Make sure to upload this to something like Strava or Garmin Connect.

Once you've done that workout look at your data on a graph. Report back on what you see. What you should see is that there's a lag between your HR and the intervals. You might also see a period of your HR continuing to elevate X seconds into the 2 min rest intervals. That HR lag is part of why using HR to calculate calories is especially bad for workouts that involve intervals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Do you know how many calories Michael Phelps burns in doing a lap of Olympic swimming in an Olympic pool? In less than 2 minutes of a 200 meter race at full speed he burns 27 calories. So you really believe you burn more than the greatest Olympic swimming athlete in 1 minute? At the rate you state, you're burning 20 calories a minute.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness-pictures/how-many-calories-do-olympians-burn.aspx#200-meter-freestyle

Also read: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10506547/heart-rate-monitors-are-not-calorie-monitors

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think this is relevant, swimming isn't a weight bearing activity, so you have to work much harder to achieve the same energy output. That's 740 kCal per hour which works out to about 200 watts on a bike. I can do that for an hour. I know because I have a direct force power meter. I'm sure I can't match his output in the water, probably most people can't. More runners would be able to achieve that kind of energy use. Anyway, my point is one person in a pool doesn't tell us much about what other people can and can't do outside a pool.
  • robertw486
    Options

Tabata regimen[edit]

I don't think niner was saying it's not HIIT if it's over 4 minutes. He was saying it's no the Tabata protocol. Possibly he'll clarify. Buyt that's how I read his comment above.

You might be right but Tabata is just a form of HIIT. I've seen Tabata where you rest one minute after a four minute block and continue doing four minute blocks. Is that Tabata then? If someone still has the same intensity, I'd say yes, it is. I think what he was saying is after four minutes, you should be done if you do it right. Not necessarily.

Personally, I might be done, but not world class athletes.
    On the contrary, Tabata is NOT a form of HIIT because most HIIT don't require 100% effort. Again I'll state, if you run a race at 100% with just a 10 second rest and have to do another 100% race and another 10 second rest, you're not going beyond 4 minutes and not likely going 100% again after that protocol and resting 1 min.
    You CAN do high intensity interval training, but that's at 85%-90%. Most people have no idea how to go 100% in 4 minutes. I would challenge anyone to just box, hitting and swinging with all your might for 3 minutes and see if you can recover to do the same in 1 minute.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png,

Tabata IE1 protocol is not 100% effort though. Being that it's based on VO2max, it's also scaled to the fitness of the person. It's certainly not easy as 170% of VO2max is tough. But most people in decent shape could do it in my opinion. I did the protocol as they tested for the full week rotation, and I don't consider myself any type of elite athlete at all.

If you have any VO2max measure, hop on a bike and see for yourself the difference between 170% and max effort.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Tabata regimen[edit]

This guy's in his 60s. He's a World Champion Indoor Rower. His intervals are insane and well beyond 4 minutes. Most guys on college crew teams would be hard pressed to do his workouts.

https://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169648
    HIIT isn't the same a Tabata protocol. HIIT can be done beyond 4 minutes. A correct Tabata protocol really can't. Again, we're speaking a full out sprint and how many can sprint full out for more than 4 minutes? In Tabata, by about the 3rd cycle, most people would be gassed and couldn't continue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I posted up a guy doing 16 X 250 sprints in his 60s at, roughly 600 plus watts. You obviously have no idea what 600 Watts feels like if you believe that's not all out for a 60 year old. We just have to agree to disagree. Younger rowers can generate nearly 800/900 Watts for many more reps than 4 minutes in short bursts.

Tabata himself has YouTube videos up -- the source himself, Dr Tabata -- that aren't nearly this hard. They look like calisthenics, just what you're telling people isn't Tabata!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoBAs5SEJo
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Kim
    I wouldn't consider any of these videos HIIT workouts. Interval workouts for the first one. But when they say cardio burn workout, you're not burning as much fat as you think. Since most physical exercise will utilize glycogen first (especially with anaerobic lifting exercises), the amount of fat burned will be minimal. The point I'm making here is that exercise is for fitness and health and to retain muscle. If you want to lose fat, you need to ensure that you're in a moderate calorie deficit. With or without exercise, that's how fat loss happens.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yup...baseede on my understanding now, these are not true HII.. all I know is they are fun, and they challenge my *kitten*..LOL
    As someone who has never worked out and had no clue where to begin...I actually enjoy doing these and feel accomplished when im done..hoping to see some results soon!
    What's important about exercise for most is exercise they enjoy doing. That way it's incorporated into their lifestyle to help keep their health up and weight in check.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Do you know how many calories Michael Phelps burns in doing a lap of Olympic swimming in an Olympic pool? In less than 2 minutes of a 200 meter race at full speed he burns 27 calories. So you really believe you burn more than the greatest Olympic swimming athlete in 1 minute? At the rate you state, you're burning 20 calories a minute.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness-pictures/how-many-calories-do-olympians-burn.aspx#200-meter-freestyle

Also read: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10506547/heart-rate-monitors-are-not-calorie-monitors

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't think this is relevant, swimming isn't a weight bearing activity, so you have to work much harder to achieve the same energy output. That's 740 kCal per hour which works out to about 200 watts on a bike. I can do that for an hour. I know because I have a direct force power meter. I'm sure I can't match his output in the water, probably most people can't. More runners would be able to achieve that kind of energy use. Anyway, my point is one person in a pool doesn't tell us much about what other people can and can't do outside a pool.
    The resistance of the water makes the difference. It's why a boat that has the same HP as a car can't travel the same speed. Car only has to overcome wind resistance and drag. Boat has to overcome wind resistance and MUCH MORE drag than a car.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png