Compound vs Isolation Weight training

Options
Which do you prefer for building muscles and why?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,305 Member
    Options
    What's your specific goal(s) - that matters, dunnit? ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Compound, because I lift for functional fitness.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I also lift for functional fitness and use both. Isolation exercises also can help for functional fitness when used together with compounds.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    About 80% compound for functional fitness most of the time. I do isolation for muscles that need a little extra attention like biceps and calf muscles. On the compounds I generally use 60-75% estimated 1RM with higher reps and isolated I go heavier, lower rep of course.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    I do a mix. I like compound in general, but give my triceps extra love to aid them for a yoga posture.

Here is Jay's take: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/compound-exercises-vs-isolation-exercises/
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I incorporate both along with a calorie surplus and adequate protein.

^^^^^
    This, plus progressive overload.
  • deadliftsandnoodles
    deadliftsandnoodles Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Both
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options

As opposed to dysfunctional fitness :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

By any metric used, for beginners, there is no difference in “functional fitness” when using isolation or free weights. (E.g. leg press machine vs squats)

Over time there is an advantage for compound/free weight training, but beginners should do whatever they feel is most comfortable.

The other advantage for beginners (and injury prone people in general (like me)), is the reduced likelihood of injury.

I’ve tweaked my back both squatting and deadlifting.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

By any metric used, for beginners, there is no difference in “functional fitness” when using isolation or free weights. (E.g. leg press machine vs squats)

Over time there is an advantage for compound/free weight training, but beginners should do whatever they feel is most comfortable.

The other advantage for beginners (and injury prone people in general (like me)), is the reduced likelihood of injury.

I’ve tweaked my back both squatting and deadlifting.

I didn’t mean to give the impression that there was a preference one way or the other, or that one style of lifting was better suited for a beginner than another.

I was trying to point out that the CW that compound lifting with free weights is inherently superior to machines in all cases, and that compound lifting is more “functional” in all cases is not correct.

With proper learning and/or supervision, beginners can start with compound lifts from day one and do them safely and effectively.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Who said I was a beginner? Odds are (based on average age of currently living human beings) that I have been lifting longer than you've been alive.

Unless you are in your 80s, odds are you are wrong.

My comment was primarily directed to the OP. Since your comment was also directed to the OP, and you chose to add the “functional fitness” add-on, the implication was that you felt that “functional fitness” was an inherent advantage of compound lifting.

This is a common belief, and while it is not totally incorrect, it is not relevant to the OP. There are a lot of cliches about lifting that are thrown about in the media and in the forums. I try to explain and give context to give people a more accurate picture.

I chose your comment as background to address that common belief, not to criticize you or the idea you expressed. I probably should just put everything in a separate comment so as not to give the impression of singling someone out.

Alright. But I would point out that

(1) OP didn't say anything about being a beginner either, and

(2) OP only asked people to say which they preferred and why. Why in the world should my reasons -- or anyone else's -- for choosing a workout be "relevant to the OP"? If OP wants advice relevant to the OP, OP should explain their situation and goals.

It's very difficult not to feel that one is being addressed specifically when one's comment is quoted.

Understood.