Want to Run but Legs Are Sore

Options
2»

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I’m going to suggest setting goals that support weight loss instead of trying to change your whole life at once. If I were in your position I would start with simple goals.

Example goals:
    1 log my food every day, everything, even if over calories (no judgement for going over, work on habit building first.
    2. Walk for 15-30 minutes 5 times per week.

These are just examples. Doing intensive exercise that causes so much soreness that you can’t move for several days makes it too easy for you to break the habit and want to quit. Once you establish habits you can build on them with adding new goals. To me this is making the journey the goal instead of a number on the scale. It feels more sustainable to me to break it down.

Thank you. I know my body can take more than that because I was a college athlete, but I will take your principle of not doing too much to prevent injury, and apply it to my situation.

I will also echo the other comments to you about c25k. I built a strong walking base first and started the program in February. I completed it in the prescribed 9 weeks and have continued running since then. I’m now trading for a 10k which didn’t seem foreseeable a few months ago. I met some amazing people at my local Parkrun and have now connected with a local running club.
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What's the benefit of doing 200 repetitions of anything? Isn't sometimes less more (said hopefully)? If I do 20 squats I feel like I'm doing a lot...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What you used to be able to do in college bears no relation to what you can do now. Start where you are today, not where you once were or where you want to be in a year or two. Yes, you have a mindset that allows you to bear a certain amount of pain. However, that mindset is likely to do more harm than good. Your ability to heal is not the same as it was when you were 18. You have several years of overeating and under-exercising so when you work out you are putting a lot more stress on joints, muscles, tendons, bones, etc. than you were as a younger man. Do yourself a favor and think long term. You didn't get where you are overnight. You won't get your fitness and slimmer body back overnight either. Take it one step at a time and think about what will do the most good over time. Getting injured will set you back, possibly permanently. So be careful. Be smart.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I’ve been listening to the autobiography of David Goggins, so I just figured I’d do what he did to get in shape for the military. I can’t tell where to draw the line between mental toughness and overtraining, especially in these early stages. I feel like I can push a lot harder, but I don’t want to be injured being stupid either.

Goggins is inspiring, but he also injured himself numerous times, and came close to serious organ failure and death. Accept that fitness happens slowly, and that weight loss is mostly about your calorie intake, not exercise. If you happen to eat too much, just eat less the next day - never change your fitness plan. For running, a good plan to follow is C25K, and for strength, check the pinned post for a list of programs.. which are superior than doing a ton of bodyweight squats. :+1:

Thank you for saying that. This makes a lot of sense. I was struggling with how to apply the principles of that book, and what you’re saying cleared it up for me.

Given your current all in attitude, I think you need to really think about what soreness feels like vs what pain feels like. Soreness isn't necessarily a bad thing, pain is. It would also be good to think about what it means to train smarter, not harder. How long ago was your college athletic career? How much fitness have you lost?

This is honestly not the time to go all in in the way that you likely did in college because the potential for injury is high. Frankly it's high for new college athletes who do that as well - there was an article I was reading last month that talked mentioned the heavy load put on new college rowers being attributed to injury. While I'm pretty sure you won't be doing a similar workout schedule to college rowers, going on a 2 hour run after just getting back into fitness after X years off is just not a good idea.

In short, you need to slow way down. Follow a program that is suitable for beginners because that's likely where you're at right now. Heed people's suggestions about couch to 5k, find a suitable strength training program (see this post), and make sure to count calories as accurately as possible.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Actually, running burns more than twice as much calories as walking. The movement is completely different: you use more muscles and running involves a little jump where both feet are in the air at the same time.
    Actually no.

The difference is at most 50%, and at worst 2%. Not 100% as you claim. For most circumstances, "roughly the same" holds. The actual actually is it's important for people just starting out or returning to the fold to focus on obtainable goals than quibble over bio-mechanics .
  • This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've run into a few people who were inspired by that Goggins book. It is pretty amazing. My own personal story is in my 40s went from being an unfit 250 lb blob that got winded walking up stairs to 200lbs and run marathons. Only sharing this because at the start I got injured often. I then read an article by coach Galloway, a running guru, and used his method. What stuck with me was his point that nothing ends a fitness regimen quicker than injury. I got frustrated at my lack of weight loss and then tried to push through aches and pains . All I did was turn aches into injuries.