Weight loss trouble.

Hello! I'm new round here,
I'm 27, 173 cm (5.6) and weight as of this morning 125.5 Kilos (19.7)
41% Body fat, 50.9kg BFM, 69.5kg Muscle Mass, 2293 BMR

I've always been a large girl and a yo-yo dieter, I got down to 95 Kilos (14.9) once, then shot back up to 135 kilos (21.2) Never been to a gym in my life!!!
I suffer with PCOS (Trying to have a baby for 5 years) and Hyper-mobility - and I have a long term injury on my ankle (Sprained)

I ditched the fad diets such as Keto, Low Carb, Juicing, Slimming Work, to trying to eat a normal balanced diet and keep my calories moderately lower that I would normally eat after realising that I developed an unhealthy relationship with food and started a binge eating pattern. Wholewheat, no white carbs, Veggies, fruit, protein ..etc..

I've been logging my food,
Tuesday 2nd = 1.325 Calories,
Wednesday 3rd = 1735 Calories,
Thursday 4th = 1658 Calories
Friday 5th = 1872 Calories
Saturday 6th = 2001 Calories (I was starving after kettlebells! haha)
Sunday 7th = 1780 Calories

I joined the gym with my husband last Monday (01/07/2019) - We had a Personal trainer for 45 Mins on the Monday , (induction)
Wednesday we walked on the treadmill, 4Km at 5.5 intensity (about 45 mins, heart rate on average 165) 4KM on the reclining bike in 10 Mins, 3 bursts at 200m rowing, (1.30s, 1,12s, and 0.58s)
Friday - I had a sore ankle, so done some lifting, with the kettlebells, pull ups on the ropes (just pulling my own weight up) then walked 2km at 6% Gradient at a 2.5 intensity, (slow walk)

Saturday we done a 45 min Kettlebell class with a 8kg Kettlebell,
I'm SORE AF! haha I think I found an AB! :open_mouth:

But my main reason for telling you my life story, when I started at the Gym I was 124Kilos, and now I've gone up! instead of down! haha
I know it's only a week, I don't expect to drop 20kilos, but I have little indication on if I'm doing it right or not, so hoping someone can help :)

Thanks for your advice :)

Emily

Replies

• 18penguin
    18penguin Posts: 8 Member
    Oh right - so do you think it's enough to keep going as I am? :) Thanks for your response
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Yes, you're doing fine calorie-wise. The only advice would be to take it easy and increase your intensity gradually. I didn't do that when I started exercising and got an overuse injury. It still flares up sometimes 6 years later. Take care of your body and know its limits.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Good for you! Yup, I also can go up a couple kilos from exercise and being really sore. When my quads are sore and I squat to pick something up (if I can!) I can tell they are swollen. That's just fluid build up. It goes away.
  • 18penguin
    Sorry I responded but it's gone....
    Thanks for the responses...

I am pretty limited to what I can do with my ankle the way it is...

I have a 2km walk planned for today, and maybe some rowing, afyer alot of streching....the Doms are real, Im in agony hahaha, the way I sse it is SOMETHING is better than sitting on the sofa....

Ah yes, swollen, my body feels puffy and heavy along with the sorness, my fats stick out more than usual when I bend my joints hahahaaha I guess I can see the kilos extra there haha
  • JasonRVA
    JasonRVA Posts: 31 Member
    Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. When you start working out, if you aren't drinking enough your body tends to hold fluids as well.
  • 18penguin
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Were you doing any formal exercise before starting this program? The routine seems a little on the intense side if you're just starting out.

On top of that, if your BMR (not TDEE) is 2293, then you're eating around 1000 calories under your BMR some days, which is pretty aggressive. BMR is basal metabolic rate, basically what you'd burn in a coma. To lose weight, you want to eat under your TDEE (all day calorie burn including BMR plus chores and exercise) or eat under your NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis, which is daily life calorie burn including BMR) and log exercise and eat back a reasonable estimate of those calories, too). The latter is the standard MFP method.

I'm assuming that the calorie intakes you list are gross calories (i.e., total you ate, not the net after adjusting for exercise?

It's reasonable for you to target a 2 pound/1 kilo per week loss rate at your current size (but OK to lose slower if it's more achievable). One kilo a week would be eating at about 1100 calories under your TDEE. It sounds like you may be eating at a level that may be faster than that sometimes, which is pretty aggressive, and may be difficult to sustain for the long haul . . . and losing a substantial amount of weight is inherently and necessarily a long-haul proposition.

What does MFP say you should do, if you put your data in your MFP profile, use guided set-up, and say you want to lose 1 kilo per week? (Keep in mind that the calorie goal it gives you is before adding exercise calories, which you'd also eat back.)

I admire the energy and dedication with which you're starting on this, but wondering if a slower on-ramp to new habits might make things a bit more doable?

(And yes, your current gain would be water weight. Fat loss is happening behind the scenes, for sure; water's just hiding it for a while.)

Best wishes!

Wow I can't thank you enough for your time and help there!
    I'm more than happy to lose 1KG a week, that would be 52 kilos in the year, - It took me years to get this size, so I don't expect to get thin over night.

I have never done any type of exercise - I don't feel like I restrict myself, In fact I feel like I might eat too much, Haha! Breakfast is a bowl of Fruit and Fiber with Semi Skimmed milk, lunch is a wholewheat bread sandwich with ham, or cheese, Snack is fruit and a cereal bar, Dinner is homemade dish of whatever I feel, - Rice or pasta is wholewheat, I'll by a ready made curry sauce, or Sweet n Sour, Picking the less calories one and sharing it with my husband. Meat, Salads, Veggies, not too many potatoes, and then a low fat yogurt

I used to have scrambled egg and pick at a bit of bacon for breakfast, then a baby bell and pepearmi for lunch, and then meat and salad for dinner, and I was a mess most of the time, that lead me to binge eat and become obsessive.

I put my info into MFP, - My weight, hight, Kilo a week and it came back saying my goal should be 1500 calories a day, but that was with the activity as not being active at all, I've now upped it, after you prompting me to look, to lightly active, - and I now have 1860 calories a day.

Sometimes I don't do HUGE amounts, last night I was in so much DOMS pain that I just walked 2.5 Km at 1% graduation and I slowly upped the intensity to reach 5. But they way I look at it is.... It's better than sitting on the sofa!

I've made my profile public, I don't know if that means that you can see.
    Thank you! SO MUCH!
    Emily

• texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    It sounds like you are on a good path. Just make sure what you are doing (both diet and exercise) is sustainable forever. It's a grind for sure and it gets boring after a while. Do things to keep your palette, your mind, and your body feeling loved and satisfied.
  • 18penguin
    It sounds like you are on a good path. Just make sure what you are doing (both diet and exercise) is sustainable forever. It's a grind for sure and it gets boring after a while. Do things to keep your palette, your mind, and your body feeling loved and satisfied.

Thank you soo much for your kind words and motivation!
  • 18penguin
    JasonRVA wrote: »
    Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. When you start working out, if you aren't drinking enough your body tends to hold fluids as well.

I'm trying my best to drink x2 700ml bottles at work, then at least another liter at home, I keep reminding myself to drink but there dosen't seem enough time in the day haha
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    18penguin wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Were you doing any formal exercise before starting this program? The routine seems a little on the intense side if you're just starting out.

On top of that, if your BMR (not TDEE) is 2293, then you're eating around 1000 calories under your BMR some days, which is pretty aggressive. BMR is basal metabolic rate, basically what you'd burn in a coma. To lose weight, you want to eat under your TDEE (all day calorie burn including BMR plus chores and exercise) or eat under your NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis, which is daily life calorie burn including BMR) and log exercise and eat back a reasonable estimate of those calories, too). The latter is the standard MFP method.

I'm assuming that the calorie intakes you list are gross calories (i.e., total you ate, not the net after adjusting for exercise?

It's reasonable for you to target a 2 pound/1 kilo per week loss rate at your current size (but OK to lose slower if it's more achievable). One kilo a week would be eating at about 1100 calories under your TDEE. It sounds like you may be eating at a level that may be faster than that sometimes, which is pretty aggressive, and may be difficult to sustain for the long haul . . . and losing a substantial amount of weight is inherently and necessarily a long-haul proposition.

What does MFP say you should do, if you put your data in your MFP profile, use guided set-up, and say you want to lose 1 kilo per week? (Keep in mind that the calorie goal it gives you is before adding exercise calories, which you'd also eat back.)

I admire the energy and dedication with which you're starting on this, but wondering if a slower on-ramp to new habits might make things a bit more doable?

(And yes, your current gain would be water weight. Fat loss is happening behind the scenes, for sure; water's just hiding it for a while.)

Best wishes!

Wow I can't thank you enough for your time and help there!
    I'm more than happy to lose 1KG a week, that would be 52 kilos in the year, - It took me years to get this size, so I don't expect to get thin over night.

I have never done any type of exercise - I don't feel like I restrict myself, In fact I feel like I might eat too much, Haha! Breakfast is a bowl of Fruit and Fiber with Semi Skimmed milk, lunch is a wholewheat bread sandwich with ham, or cheese, Snack is fruit and a cereal bar, Dinner is homemade dish of whatever I feel, - Rice or pasta is wholewheat, I'll by a ready made curry sauce, or Sweet n Sour, Picking the less calories one and sharing it with my husband. Meat, Salads, Veggies, not too many potatoes, and then a low fat yogurt

I used to have scrambled egg and pick at a bit of bacon for breakfast, then a baby bell and pepearmi for lunch, and then meat and salad for dinner, and I was a mess most of the time, that lead me to binge eat and become obsessive.

I put my info into MFP, - My weight, hight, Kilo a week and it came back saying my goal should be 1500 calories a day, but that was with the activity as not being active at all, I've now upped it, after you prompting me to look, to lightly active, - and I now have 1860 calories a day.

Sometimes I don't do HUGE amounts, last night I was in so much DOMS pain that I just walked 2.5 Km at 1% graduation and I slowly upped the intensity to reach 5. But they way I look at it is.... It's better than sitting on the sofa!

I've made my profile public, I don't know if that means that you can see.
    Thank you! SO MUCH!
    Emily

Increasing activity is great, and building fitness is a wonderful thing!

But it's fine to take things a bit gradually (like subbing an easier walk as you did), in terms of increasing the frequency, duration, intensity or other challenges involved in exercise. Exercise is supposed to be fun and energizing, not miserable and exhausting! (And actual pain is 100% optional!) :)

As far as weight loss rate, I should probably add that a kilo a week may be fine at your current weight, but it may be necessary or desirable to lose a bit slower as you get lighter. I'm one of the people around here who thinks that 1% of current weight per week is about the maximum that's compatible with keeping health risks moderate, and slower than that is possibly better when within 50-ish pounds of goal. (Obviously, slower than the risk-moderating max is absolutely fine at any time, if it makes the weight loss process more do-able long term.)

I'd suggest giving the MFP goal 4-6 weeks (because some water weight fluctuations are likely to make things murky for a while), then take a look at your average weight loss per week over that time period, and adjust intake based on your actual results if necessary. (If you seem to be losing very fast before 4-6 weeks is over, and at the same time start feeling weak or fatigued for no other identifiable reason, I'd suggest eating a bit more: Those are danger signs, and too-slow weight loss may be frustrating, but too-fast weight loss can be dangerous.)

Best wishes!