Any help calculating calories burned?

Hi everyone! I'm on a weight loss journey and I'm going to be doing some group exercise classes at my local YMCA. I want to log these classes but I really dont know how to. I'm taking Total Body Conditioning for an hour and Zumba for 50 minutes each week. MFP doesnt have these classes/exercises in its catalog. Does anyone know roughly how many calories this would burn or have a formula for figuring that out? I'd love help from anyone who has taken classes like these or just knows their stuff well. Thank you!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I would use Aerobics,low impact.
  • ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    I see Zumba in the exercise database
  • adventuresbymaggie
    adventuresbymaggie Posts: 7 Member
    ekboh wrote: »

Really? I keep typing it in for cardio but they dont have have it. Is it by phone type (iOS vs Samsung?) ?
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

Really? I keep typing it in for cardio but they dont have have it. Is it by phone type (iOS vs Samsung?) ?

Phone type doesn't matter. I just typed it in and it came right up as well. Silly question to be safe, are you sure you're under cardio?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    You can also create your own New Exercise:

Can I add a new exercise to the database?
  • adventuresbymaggie
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Phone type doesn't matter. I just typed it in and it came right up as well. Silly question to be safe, are you sure you're under cardio?

It's not that I dont believe you but look at my phone. I keep checking under cardio, I'm certain of it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I also see zumba in the search, but I'm on the internet site, not the app.
  • adventuresbymaggie
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Maybe that's why? I guess if I cant add it on the app, I'll use a substitute. It's just curious that I dont see it will others do
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I’m on the app and see Zumba in the search box. Very weird.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member

Maybe that's why? I guess if I cant add it on the app, I'll use a substitute. It's just curious that I dont see it will others do

This is weird (and I think it's a bug). I can replicate it on my phone (Android version of MFP app).

This sounds goofy, but works for me: Try clicking on "most used", then typing "zumba" in the search box (just as you've done, but different category highlighted at the top). That should bring up a "No results found in your history" message, and a clickable link that says "Search all exercises for "zumba"." Click on that "Search all exercises . . . " link.

After I do that, I can bring it up with the "Browse all" thingie highlighted at the top, too.

Try it, may work, may not.

(Note to all: Yes this is nuts. I was a software development professional for years, so I'm not being a tech idiot here. It may be an initialization problem - not the first one I've found in MFP.)
  • adventuresbymaggie
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This is weird (and I think it's a bug). I can replicate it on my phone (Android version of MFP app).

This sounds goofy, but works for me: Try clicking on "most used", then typing "zumba" in the search box (just as you've done, but different category highlighted at the top). That should bring up a "No results found in your history" message, and a clickable link that says "Search all exercises for "zumba"." Click on that "Search all exercises . . . " link.

After I do that, I can bring it up with the "Browse all" thingie highlighted at the top, too.

(Note to all: Yes this is nuts. I was a software development professional for years, so I'm not being a tech idiot here. It may be an initialization problem - not the first one I've found in MFP.)

Oh wow, this is interesting. By doing it the way you suggest, it comes up. But searching under "browse all" which I did cuz I thought it made sense gets me nothing. I didnt think I was doing anything wrong. Interesting bug. How can that be reported to MFP?
  • Phirrgus
    From my phone.

9i6N3P7.jpg
  • Phirrgus

Oh wow, this is interesting. By doing it the way you suggest, it comes up. But searching under "browse all" which I did cuz I thought it made sense gets me nothing. I didnt think I was doing anything wrong. Interesting bug. How can that be reported to MFP?

You could try the help desk.
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/

Maybe just link this thread. That's such an odd one.
  • adventuresbymaggie
    Phirrgus wrote: »

You could try the help desk.
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/

Maybe just link this thread. That's such an odd one.

Thanks for your help!