Calves Are Exploding

JordanS9592
JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Yesterday, I noticed a little soreness in my calves from my workout Tuesday, but then it got progressively worse. I stretched my calves for five minutes each, but they stayed tight. Now this morning, they feel like a couple balloons ready to pop. I can walk, but my stride looks like an old man’s. My workout consisted of 100 repetitions with 2 45 pound plates on the calf raiser machine. This is a standard workout for me, and I’m used to that much weight, making this soreness all the stranger. Will stretching help it heal faster or make it worse? I’m confused because normally, stretching decreases recovery time for me.

Replies

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Depends, I get tight tendons in my lower leg which left unchecked cause unbelievable calf pain and sometimes shin splints.

Stretching when they feel tight didn't help for me, foam roller did but it hurt like CRAZY. I found a gentle massage with a warming gel worked and rest. This was an ongoing issue for around a year for me until I started taking gelatin.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    How long have you been back at it? You mentioned how you just started back at it in another post?

When did you last train your legs and what did you do?
  • JordanS9592
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Depends, I get tight tendons in my lower leg which left unchecked cause unbelievable calf pain and sometimes shin splints.

Stretching when they feel tight didn't help for me, foam roller did but it hurt like CRAZY. I found a gentle massage with a warming gel worked and rest. This was an ongoing issue for around a year for me until I started taking gelatin.

I might need to try that
  • JordanS9592
    MT1134 wrote: »
    How long have you been back at it? You mentioned how you just started back at it in another post?

@MT1134 to be clear, I’ve been working out for about 3 weeks, but I started taking my diet seriously about 5 days ago. I’m 340 pounds, but I’m not your typical big guy. I have stamina, and I was a former college wrestler. I stretched my calves for 20 minutes today, and that seemed to help a lot. It’s still a little sore, but now I’m going for a light walk to get the blood flowing to the muscle.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

@MT1134 to be clear, I’ve been working out for about 3 weeks, but I started taking my diet seriously about 5 days ago. I’m 340 pounds, but I’m not your typical big guy. I have stamina, and I was a former college wrestler. I stretched my calves for 20 minutes today, and that seemed to help a lot. It’s still a little sore, but now I’m going for a light walk to get the blood flowing to the muscle.
    Did you ever decide to follow a strength training and/or running plan? If not I suggest working with plans aimed at beginners? If not, I suggest going to square one because you're setting yourself up for injury which has the potential to completely sideline your plans. You are not the athlete you were in college. That isn't a bad thing, that's just life.
  • JordanS9592
    edited July 2019
    aokoye wrote: »

Did you ever decide to follow a strength training and/or running plan? If not I suggest working with plans aimed at beginners? If not, I suggest going to square one because you're setting yourself up for injury which has the potential to completely sideline your plans. You are not the athlete you were in college. That isn't a bad thing, that's just life.
    @aokoye I appreciate the sentiment, and you’re correct that I’m not the athlete I was (which is saying a lot, because I wasn’t much of an athlete in college either). I am definitely going much easier on my legs until my calves heal up. I will basically be swimming and walking for the next week or so. If U have any recommendations for strength building programs for beginners, I would really appreciate that. Thanks.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member

@aokoye I appreciate the sentiment, and you’re correct that I’m not the athlete I was (which is saying a lot, because I wasn’t much of an athlete in college either). I am definitely going much easier on my legs until my calves heal up. I will basically be swimming and walking for the next week or so. If U have any recommendations for strength building programs for beginners, I would really appreciate that. Thanks.

I agree with both the OP and @aokoye.

I think a proper assessment of where you currently are would be appropriate. That's the only way for me as a coach to meet you where you're at and get you to where you want to go.

As someone who's getting back into things, build consistent habits with a little less intensity so that you can sustain your body longer.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    I had the same issue before, if u have foam roller it is helpful, appropriate pressure will release some tension in the muscles not to that extent but will make u sleep peacefully
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

From a sticky'd thread: Which lifting program is the best for you
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Major DOMS from doing a workout you haven't done in awhile. Not UNCOMMON.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png