Question.. Need help.

Options
Miscmishap
Miscmishap Posts: 6 Member
Okay I'm confused because there's all these calorie counters online that you can put your age height current Wade activity level and it'll tell you how many calories approximately consume in a day to maintain your weight and then how many calories do you eat to lose weight

The problem I have is that I did like seven of them and they range from as high as. 3199-2534.to maintain
Then 1446-1971.to lose
And my fitness pal says I should be 1700 to lose so how do I know which one is right and which one to follow?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Miscmishap wrote: »
    Okay I'm confused because there's all these calorie counters online that you can put your age height current Wade activity level and it'll tell you how many calories approximately consume in a day to maintain your weight and then how many calories do you eat to lose weight

The problem I have is that I did like seven of them and they range from as high as. 3199-2534.to maintain
    Then 1446-1971.to lose
    And my fitness pal says I should be 1700 to lose so how do I know which one is right and which one to follow?

Different sites use different formulas. MFP uses a system that excludes exercise and expects you to eat those in addition to your normal daily goal.

The reality is it doesn't matter how you start that much as long as you eat enough to avoid misery, fuel your day, and still remain in a calorie deficit. You can always adjust your calories up or down in about 6 weeks once you have clean numbers of your own.

1700 seems like a good midpoint so why not just start there and see what happens?

I also suggest reading this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• matfox
    matfox Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The range of calorie estimates is so wide because each formula used is slightly different. That's not to say some are more right than others, rather that there is no perfect formula for everyone. What works for some, might not work for others.

What's funny is I stumbled upon a very similar question on Stack Exchange recently. I hope it's not against the rules, but I've linked it below. The answers there are more informative and I don't want to plagiarize from the original authors.

https://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/40589/why-does-every-calorie-tracking-app-give-a-different-target-calorie-count-for-th

I'd recommend picking one that lies somewhere in the middle of that range and sticking with those calorie/macro suggestions for a few weeks. Then make adjustments as needed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Then 1446-1971.to lose

You have to first understand what method a particular calculator is using...MFP is a NEAT method calculator that DOESN'T factor in exercise in your activity level so you get a smaller number and then account for exercise after the fact by logging it and getting additional calories added to your target.

Most other calculators are TDEE calculators where you factor in exercise in your activity level so those are accounted for up front.

There really isn't a "right" one. They all use slightly different algorithms and activity multipliers. Any and all of these calculators are simply providing a reasonably good jumping off point based on population statistics...none of them are gospel...none of them are "right". Just start with one and then make adjustments as per your real world results and desired rate of loss.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you’re going to be using MFP to log your calories and exercise then trust the number they gave you.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    To avoid confusion, I'd start with the number that MFP gives you, after all this is the tool that you are using, you might as well use it as is intended rather than over-complicate it.
    gc9mucjjfsnu.jpg

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No matter what site or app you use to calculate ur calories they will have differences, because there is no fixed calories for everyone

What i do i use the one in myfitnesspal and calculate my maintenance calories and test it for a week or less by tracking it on my scale, if ur weight didn't change means it is ur maintenance calories, if u gain or loss means ur on surplus or deficit respectively =)

Just know numbers are numbers, useless if u don't try to see ur self

Cheers 👏
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Diazmohsen wrote: »
    No matter what site or app you use to calculate ur calories they will have differences, because there is no fixed calories for everyone

What i do i use the one in myfitnesspal and calculate my maintenance calories and test it for a week or less by tracking it on my scale, if ur weight didn't change means it is ur maintenance calories, if u gain or loss means ur on surplus or deficit respectively =)

Just know numbers are numbers, useless if u don't try to see ur self

Cheers 👏

One week isn't really enough time to see if it's working or not, particularly for a female, a lot of factors can cause water weight fluctuations that mask loss on the scale or even show as an increase. You'd ideally need to give it 4-6 weeks.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a daily calorie goal...I have a range. I try to stay between 1300-1500, I sometimes end up in the 1600s, but don't fret about it.

I don't want to stress out over calorie intake. As long as I'm over 1300 and under 1700, I consider myself good. All of the calculators are reasonable amounts.

Once I lose what I want to lose, I will slowly increase my calories up somewhere between 2500 and 3500... And play around with a maintenance range.

The calculators give kind of an idea of where to be.

Good luck!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Start with one. If, after a few weeks, that's not working then adjust as needed. It might take some time to find your sweet point but if you stick to it you will find it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Then 1446-1971.to lose

As others have mentioned different calculations using different factors will give different results. Also keep in mind that all the calculators give you estimates only based on the 'average person. It looks to me like MFP is giving you a nice middle ground for a calorie target, so that's a good place to start. In a month or two you can make adjustments to your target depending on how you feel and the results you're getting.