ACDF surgery, what was your outcome if you had one, how successful was it for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    John772016 wrote: »
    Good luck @icemom011 let us know how you make out.

Prior to my ACDF surgery (C4-C6) at the end of 2016, I had numbness & tingling from fingers to elbow on the left arm, numbness through both legs from toes to hips, & numbness and pain (seems odd now that I type it) across lower back, legs etc. I could walk generally fine, but occasionally would fall on stairs as I couldn't always teĺl if my foot was stepping on a stair or not ,until it was a bit too late... I couldn't sit for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Prior to surgery, the numbness and pain kept spreading. I was seriously worried about being paralyzed as more and more of my body seemed to feel less and less or oddly feel less & also replace normal feeling with pain.

After surgery, about a 90% improvement initially which got a bit less unfortunately as I healed. In my case, the bruising to my spinal cord had been too severe to recover completely but I recovered substantially.

Now (2019), I have some tingling/ numbness in two of my left fingers, numbness through my left leg and around my right knee and foot. No pain to speak of. Still even with this I'd say about 70% improvement from prior to surgery.

I was in a neck brace for about 6-8 weeks, off work for almost 4 months, & on restrictions for most of that time though they eased as I progressed (no lifting above shoulders, etc.) Still, dont think a bungee jump is in my near future, but I'm okay with that.

In 2016, before the surgery, I was worried I'd end up paralyzed in the next few years if I didn't do something.

2019 now & while I do have that numbness I mentioned, I'm so much better than I was.

I hope @icemom011 that you're experience is even better! Good Luck.

Thank you very much, @John772016 , for sharing your story, and for your kind words. I have same level fusion, it's very helpful to hear about your experience with the surgery and your outcome. Did you lose some range of motion, did that got affected at all?
  • icemom011
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Surgery scheduled for Friday. I'm definitely getting worse, so more pain, in my neck, shoulders, traveling down my arms, had some days where i had no strength to lift a water bottle or a cup of tea. That was scary. Numbness in my legs driving me mad. I have some other symptoms too. I will be using the neurosurgeon, not orthopedic surgeon. He takes bone from the bone bank, so no hip grafts. So scared still ( no improvement there either!). They use the growth stimulation device postop. Hopefully all will be well.

Hang in there!! You'll get through it. Right before my surgery I too couldn't lift a bottle or push open a door, all the strength was gone. As soon as I woke up from the anesthesia, I had full strength back, all of it. Try not to worry, and try to be optimistic -- the success rate is exceptionally high for ACDF and it's very likely you'll have your old life back very soon!!! Best wishes.

I'm definitely trying, thank you, @Igfrie. Looking forward for it to be over and for recovery. I hope it won't take too long. According to my doctor, i should be able to get back to work in 4 weeks. And back on road bike in 4 months. And everything else in between, of course. I plan to walk a lot, as it's the only allowed activity. And i sure hope not to have any irreversible nerve damage. Thank you so much!
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Prior to my ACDF surgery (C4-C6) at the end of 2016, I had numbness & tingling from fingers to elbow on the left arm, numbness through both legs from toes to hips, & numbness and pain (seems odd now that I type it) across lower back, legs etc. I could walk generally fine, but occasionally would fall on stairs as I couldn't always teĺl if my foot was stepping on a stair or not ,until it was a bit too late... I couldn't sit for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Prior to surgery, the numbness and pain kept spreading. I was seriously worried about being paralyzed as more and more of my body seemed to feel less and less or oddly feel less & also replace normal feeling with pain.

After surgery, about a 90% improvement initially which got a bit less unfortunately as I healed. In my case, the bruising to my spinal cord had been too severe to recover completely but I recovered substantially.

Now (2019), I have some tingling/ numbness in two of my left fingers, numbness through my left leg and around my right knee and foot. No pain to speak of. Still even with this I'd say about 70% improvement from prior to surgery.

I was in a neck brace for about 6-8 weeks, off work for almost 4 months, & on restrictions for most of that time though they eased as I progressed (no lifting above shoulders, etc.) Still, dont think a bungee jump is in my near future, but I'm okay with that.

In 2016, before the surgery, I was worried I'd end up paralyzed in the next few years if I didn't do something.

2019 now & while I do have that numbness I mentioned, I'm so much better than I was.

Thank you very much, @John772016 , for sharing your story, and for your kind words. I have same level fusion, it's very helpful to hear about your experience with the surgery and your outcome. Did you lose some range of motion, did that got affected at all?

Initially I had to be a bit careful turning my head left (right was completely normal) which made driving a bit difficult until I got used to using the mirror instead of jerking my head around to the left. A bit stiffness tilting my head up for a few months too.
    All that passed though with time and physical therapy. My range of motion now is likely pretty close to completely normal.
    Btw, 3 yrs ago I was worried about being paralyzed.....tomorrow I'm in a 5km charity run.
    You got this @icemom011 !
  • icemom011
    Options

Initially I had to be a bit careful turning my head left (right was completely normal) which made driving a bit difficult until I got used to using the mirror instead of jerking my head around to the left. A bit stiffness tilting my head up for a few months too.
    All that passed though with time and physical therapy. My range of motion now is likely pretty close to completely normal.
    Btw, 3 yrs ago I was worried about being paralyzed.....tomorrow I'm in a 5km charity run.

That's awesome! I'm so worried about the possibility of being paralyzed, they're saying smallest thing can cause it, any small bump... I'm being so careful, but on constant alert, walking, afraid to trip, walking dogs, what if they pull, just worrying about tripping somewhere. So over it. I'm paranoid when driving too now. Keep on checking, who's behind me, are they too close, are they paying attention. Hope it passes. Also, it's so encouraging to hear that your lower back pain has resolved with neck surgery, sm i correct? Because I've been miserable last couple of months, out of nowhere i am in so much pain with my lower back, can't find any relief. And it's getting worse. Gosh, i can't believe I'm going to say it, but can't wait already for Friday!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Best wishes!
  • John772016
    Options

That's awesome! I'm so worried about the possibility of being paralyzed, they're saying smallest thing can cause it, any small bump... I'm being so careful, but on constant alert, walking, afraid to trip, walking dogs, what if they pull, just worrying about tripping somewhere. So over it. I'm paranoid when driving too now. Keep on checking, who's behind me, are they too close, are they paying attention. Hope it passes. Also, it's so encouraging to hear that your lower back pain has resolved with neck surgery, sm i correct? Because I've been miserable last couple of months, out of nowhere i am in so much pain with my lower back, can't find any relief. And it's getting worse. Gosh, i can't believe I'm going to say it, but can't wait already for Friday!
    The back pain I was experiencing was resolved right away after the surgery. Best of luck @icemom011 !
  • icemom011
    Options
    Thank you so much, @John772016 ! How was your run?
  • John772016
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thank you so much, @John772016 ! How was your run?

It went really well 👍, thanks!
  • John772016
    Options
    Best of luck Friday @icemom011