Should I start bulking or cutting?

Hello, I am 18 years old. I am about 5’7 and I weigh about 145 lbs. I am not sure how to start bodybuilding, some are saying that I should start bulking first then cut and others are saying the opposite. I am really confused as to what I should start doing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Replies

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    If u r beginner u can build muscles while losing fats at same time
    But if u cut there is no muscle mass u will be super skinny
  • ameeralassadi4789
    ameeralassadi4789 Posts: 3 Member
    Diazmohsen wrote: »
    If u r beginner u can build muscles while losing fats at same time
    But if u cut there is no muscle mass u will be super skinny
    Thanks for helping. How can I build muscles while losing fat. Currently I am eating about 2200 cals/day. It’s mainly protein, about 230g and about 200g carbs.

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    edited July 2019
    You need to start with a good basic strength building program. Bulking and cutting are the more extreme versions of body building. have a look at body building.com for some good start plans. to my untrained eye you appear untrained (lol). I think that you will find with a decent strength routine that you will notice some pretty dramatic changes in your appearance quite quickly. educate yourself on correct technique for weight training exercises (to avoid injury and target the right muscle groups. there are different rep and weight ranges to play with depending on your goals. have fun
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited July 2019
    Don't cut. Not in the conventional sense. Use the site to determine your calorie goal and track what's going into your body. Going off your photos I would suggest a slight deficit, maybe 250 calories. This is going to be key as you likely won't be able to out train a bad diet.

Choose a lifting program and stick with it for at least 2 months. Some may fit your schedule/bodies needs better than others.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

A good program will incorporate sets/repetitions/number of days per week/rest/progression etc. Don't just wing it.

Ask questions here, lots of very experienced help is available :) Be patient, it takes time.

Best of luck to you!

edit: The reason I suggested the deficit is to simply lose a bit of body fat while building newbie muscle. As a beginner, you should make some decent gains fairly quickly. That can change over time. Patience.
  • ameeralassadi4789
    ameeralassadi4789 Posts: 3 Member
    I appreciate your help a lot. Thanks for your guidance, I am not as confused now. Though I am still not sure as to which program I should choose. Based on what I’ve read, I need to eat about 2000 cals per day and then when I get to the size I want to be I would start cutting. My diet is currently about 2000 cals with protein at 218g, carbs at 180g, and fats at 64g. Is this good or do I need to change it. As for my workout routine, I am doing chest and triceps on the first day, then the next day is biceps and back. And the third day is shoulders. Then rest and repeat, is this good or do I need more stuff
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    I appreciate your help a lot. Thanks for your guidance, I am not as confused now. Though I am still not sure as to which program I should choose. Based on what I’ve read, I need to eat about 2000 cals per day and then when I get to the size I want to be I would start cutting. My diet is currently about 2000 cals with protein at 218g, carbs at 180g, and fats at 64g. Is this good or do I need to change it. As for my workout routine, I am doing chest and triceps on the first day, then the next day is biceps and back. And the third day is shoulders. Then rest and repeat, is this good or do I need more stuff

You don’t need any more then 145g protein tops. More carbs.

That program is not optimized for you. I strongly suggest a full body routine 3-4 x a week for a while. Pick a beginner program from the stickies. “Strong lifts” for 6 months perhaps

This.

There's a bit more to what goes on than simply building muscle. A good program like Strong lifts will also whip your CNS (central nervous system) into shape for picking up and putting down heavy things. You really want that.
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member
    Hello, I am 18 years old. I am about 5’7 and I weigh about 145 lbs. I am not sure how to start bodybuilding, some are saying that I should start bulking first then cut and others are saying the opposite. I am really confused as to what I should start doing. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Cut without a doubt
  • tec9goo
    tec9goo Posts: 119 Member

Legs...
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    tec9goo wrote: »

Legs...

Yeah, don't skip leg day.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited July 2019
    OP: You are too light to cut.

I'm 5'8 and currently 153# (41/32/37) BUT I built up all of my musculature when I bulked to 200 and then cut back to 155-160 while lifting HEAVY to promote muscle development.

You don't need to do more than DLs, SQTs, BP's and OHP's to achieve both strength and muscular development. Think low reps and heavy wt. Google it.

But if you want to use a specific program, I recommend Starting Stength over Stronglifts.