New to Quinoa--what is your fav. recipe using it?

Options
124»

Replies

• karentnnr
    Options
    My favorite quinoa recipe is "Quinoa fried rice" Cook your quinoa just like rice. 2 cups h2o, 1 cup quinoa. Once it boils, it will be done in 15 minutes. Simmer with the lid on. In the meantime, scramble 2 or 3 eggs and defrost veggies. I usually do peas and corn because of my kids. Once the quinoa is cooked, throw the veggies, eggs and a little soy sauce in the pot and viola!
  • joolson45
    joolson45 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can seriously do anything with quinoa! I cooked up a big batch of it on Sunday night, and I'm using it all week for lunches.

Quinoa + cherry tomatoes + cucumber slices + feta cheese + scallions + olive tapenade

Quinoa + artichoke hearts + sun-dried tomatoes + scallions + chickpeas + parsley + fresh lemon juice

Quinoa + cherry tomatoes + avocado + scallions + taco seasoning + salsa
  • teddyjazzy
    teddyjazzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started eating if for breakfast and this from "The Road to Less Cake" is divine:

Breakfast Quinoa

You will need...

[serves 4]

200g quinoa
    800ml almond milk
    4 teaspoons agave nectar
    8 tablespoons frozen raspberries, you could use fresh of course

Heat the almond milk on a medium to low heat. While the milk is warming, wash the quinoa in a sieve to remove an residual bitterness on the grain. Once the milk is boiling add the grains and cook on a medium to low heat. Make sure the milk doesn't boil over, if it starts to bubble over then turn the heat down a little. If the porridge starts to stick add a little more milk. Cook the quinoa oatmeal for around 10 to 12 minutes until all the milk is absorbed and the quinoa is light and fluffy. Mix in the agave nectar and serve in a bowl topped with raspberries or any fruit you like. I like my oatmeal/porridge quite sticky and stodgy, but if you like it milky, heat some almond milk and pour it over the quinoa and top with fruit.
  • breanazank
    Options
    Broccoli and quinoa quesadillas

Baked acorn squash rings stuffed with quinoa, apples, onion, sage (I do different variations of this depending whats in season/what I have on hand)

Sweet potato, black bean, and quinoa cakes (I also use these for "burger patties")

Quinoa stuffed poblano peppers with chipotle sauce

Pesto dressed quinoa with local tomatoes and corn

Spring greens salad with roasted beets, toasted walnuts, and quinoa with citrus dressing

Basically anything I would use rice, I replace with quinoa.

For my curried/stir fry dishes I use golden (the most commonly available) quinoa instead of rice.
    But I prefer the actual taste and flavor of the red and the black types of quinoa. To each their own!
  • JoyceChambliss
    JoyceChambliss Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to like it savory, but I like it sweet. I cook it in almond milk with a variety of dried fruits. Add stevia for extra sweetness. To keep it from being bitter, I sauté the quinoa in a bit of olive or coconut oil for a couple minutes first, before I pour in the milk and fruit. Yum!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've never tried quinoa before and am intimidated by it. How do you fix it?

If it's not broken, I wouldn't fix it.
  • BigDaddy0825
    Options
    bump
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use it as a breakfast food in place of oatmeal! I cook it according to the package direction and then add fresh fruit (typically blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries) and a little honey. Very satisfying breakfast...sometimes I even do carob or dark chocolate chips to kill my sweet tooth. :-)
  • winokungfu
    Options
    For breakfast is my favorite way, I use this recipe but modify the fruit depending on what's around.

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-harvest-quinoa-414842
  • HeatherBittner
    HeatherBittner Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes
  • tobi459
    tobi459 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump