The sugar free problem

I remember quitting diet soda because fake sugar is bad. It’s seems like I replaced the his with sugar free iced. Coffee so I had a smaller coffee today with regular sugar. Trying to wean myself off again to see if this helps the hunger issue. Anyone else with this experience?

Replies

• babybleisz84
    babybleisz84 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank you! It’s definitely a journey figuring out how your body reacts to different foods.
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    I eat low carb, so the flavored creamers are not good for me. I now use heavy cream, which has a slight sweetness to it naturally, and can do away with the flavored creamers. Depending on your way of eating, it may be sn option for you
  • babybleisz84
    babybleisz84 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone I’ll have to check out theses links :)
  • ro175
    ro175 Posts: 37 Member
    My first post..... I have been eating sugar-free gum and mints to try and curb my sweet toothe, but I just checked the calories in them and with the stupid amount I have been eating, I have been adding about 200 useless calories into my daily intake. No wonder I am plateauing :/
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    ro175 wrote: »
    My first post..... I have been eating sugar-free gum and mints to try and curb my sweet toothe, but I just checked the calories in them and with the stupid amount I have been eating, I have been adding about 200 useless calories into my daily intake. No wonder I am plateauing :/

What sugar-free gum contains that many calories? Psst .... if you chew a piece of gum for at least 1/2 hour you will burn as much in the chewing action as you will consume via the gum - assuming it is sugar-free of course.
    https://www.theactivetimes.com/fitness/10-no-effort-ways-burn-calories
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I think the public disdain for artificial sweeteners is because the "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" idea. Sweeteners taste sweet, with no calorie consequences? Must be evil, must be bad, must be a catch.

I had a coworker make a comment to another coworker about how he "shouldn't drink that poison" as he opened a diet Mt. Dew (I was drinking a Coke Zero across the table). The first coworker was overweight, talking to a healthy weight guy just trying to enjoy an afternoon caffeine boost. I asked her what was actually wrong with it, and she just kind of stammered that everyone knows artificial sweeteners are bad.

I didn't point out that her weight was unhealthy, but....
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I have wondered about sweetner safety myself but I like what @ExistingFish says; being overweight is for sure bad for me. I also find myself wondering about the quantities of sweetner used in studies. If we used sugar in the same amounts what would the results be? Too much of anything isn't necessarily good for you but in reasonable amounts it's probably safe.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    While I do not like the taste of anything I have tried I do think that if someone's attempt at weight loss/management is made easier by alternative sweeteners that should not be dissuaded by anything less than hard facts. There is no reason to risk obesity and the problems it can bring because of internet conspiracy theories.

Oh and I realize that giving up drinks with AS in them should not be enough to disrupt a person's weight loss. However, considering how how fragile success is among those that try I think anything that greases the wheels is a good thing.