Too Much High Impact Cardio

irejb
irejb Posts: 64 Member
For approximately two and one-half months, I've been doing high impact cardio as part of my weight loss journey. (I am now incorporating weight training in my exercise regimen).

Recently, however, I physically can't do high impact cardio;my legs feel like wood and are stiff despite stretching before and after workouts.

I really want to be able to do high impact cardio again as I'm still on my weight loss journey. However, I'm at a loss as to why my body is physically 'rejecting' this type of cardio.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Impact, or intensity? High impact cardio would be something like running, the impact is good for you in the long term because it encourages bone density. High intensity sounds like what you're describing? It sounds like you've just got too much accumulated fatigue.
  • irejb
    Thanks. I meant high intensity.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    How many rest days are you taking each week?

What was your exercise level like before you started this current routine?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Given that you've clarified that it's a high intensity issue, not high impact, my suggestion would be to slow down and follow a plan for whatever activity you're wanting to do that is aimed at beginners. So things like Couch to 5k, the British Cycling beginner cycling plans (which now seem to require free registration to view), the zero to 6150 swimming plan, and the Beginner Pete Plan for rowing to name a few.
  • irejb
    apullum wrote: »

I was taking one rest day per week, but now I take two rest days.

I didn't use to exercise prior to my current routine. I initially started low impact cardio, but then starting do high intensity workouts.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    irejb wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

I was taking one rest day per week, but now I take two rest days.

I didn't use to exercise prior to my current routine. I initially started low impact cardio, but then starting do high intensity workouts.

Sounds like you’ve increased your exercise level all at once. That’s hard on the body. I would generally recommend following a structured beginner’s training plan and working out only every other day. It takes time to build up to workouts on consecutive days.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I really want to be able to do high impact cardio again as I'm still on my weight loss journey. However, I'm at a loss as to why my body is physically 'rejecting' this type of cardio.

Sounds like it's rejecting the weight training, since that's the new variable. Two suggestions: Follow a proven strength program designed by a pro.. and also cut back on the cardio duration or intensity. As long as you're eating in a calorie deficit, you'll lose fat regardless of the exercises you do.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    High intensity burns a little more calories than moderate intensity, but takes a lot more out of you, as you've learned.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Unless you're training for track & field events, that's really excessive. General fitness plans usually have HIIT once a week or so. It's most effective to cut bodyfat via eating less.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    Many types of exercise have value for fitness or weight management, high intensity exercise included. For best overall results, for the average person seeking general fitness or weight management, it's best to use a mix of intensities and modes.

It's kind of like eating: Broccoli is good for you, but an all-broccoli diet wouldn't be healthy at all.

All high-intensity on the cardio front isn't optimal, either (even though it's kind of trendy lately, and the trend-o-philes will tell you it's super great (they're wrong)). Maybe think of high intensity as the salsa of the exercise smorgasbord: Some salsa in one's diet is a good thing, but eating all and only salsa would be really bad for you.

All high-intensity exercise every day isn't great, either. Maybe do it once, at most twice a week. In between, mix in your strength training and some moderate or mild cardio (longer durations of those, especially the mild kind, if you have time for it). That will give you more well-rounded fitness.
  • irejb
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Many types of exercise have value for fitness or weight management, high intensity exercise included. For best overall results, for the average person seeking general fitness or weight management, it's best to use a mix of intensities and modes.

It's kind of like eating: Broccoli is good for you, but an all-broccoli diet wouldn't be healthy at all.

All high-intensity on the cardio front isn't optimal, either (even though it's kind of trendy lately, and the trend-o-philes will tell you it's super great (they're wrong)). Maybe think of high intensity as the salsa of the exercise smorgasbord: Some salsa in one's diet is a good thing, but eating all and only salsa would be really bad for you.

All high-intensity exercise every day isn't great, either. Maybe do it once, at most twice a week. In between, mix in your strength training and some moderate or mild cardio (longer durations of those, especially the mild kind, if you have time for it). That will give you more well-rounded fitness.

Thanks. I think I do have to mix up my exercise regimen as you said.

I was so eager to lose weight that I thought high intensity exercises was the best route to go. Unfortunately, it affected my body to the point that I mentally and physically couldn't do it.

I took two days off from exercising. When I resume it again, I'm going to mix it up and just do only five days of active exercise.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    For approximately two and one-half months, I've been doing high impact cardio as part of my weight loss journey. (I am now incorporating weight training in my exercise regimen).

Recently, however, I physically can't do high impact cardio;my legs feel like wood and are stiff despite stretching before and after workouts.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Your body is sometimes smarter than your head. Listen to it.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    [quote="Azdak;c-43955824"[/quote]

Your body is sometimes smarter than your head. Listen to it.

[/quote]

Yes! So simple, yet sometimes so hard to remember.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Thanks. I meant high intensity.

Because you shouldn't be doing high intensity cardio all of the time...I know it's all the rage and very trendy, but if you look at how actual athletes train...well, very little of it is high intensity.

Most of my cardio is on my road bike...most of my rides are at an endurance, all day, conversational pace. Shorter rides I push a little harder...but I don't really do anything high intensity (intervals, hill repeats, etc) more than once or twice per week when I'm training. I don't do them at all when I'm just riding for my fitness and health and not training for anything in particular.

Also, given that you're relatively new to fitness, you should be starting out slow anyways...fitness is something that is built over time and going too hard too soon is a good way to get injured and/or burn out.

Also keep in mind that the more high intensity work you do, the more rest and recovery you need...meaning rest days. Doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing...when I'm training I usually have two active recovery days per week that I just take a break from the bike and any other higher intensity/long duration activity and just go for a walk or do some yoga or something.