fell off the ban wagon...

Hi everyone, I've been going through a lot lately. I'm a single mother and my ex-husband has been out of my daughter's life for most of it. He recently came out of nowhere and wants to see her. He's very unstable and not well. So I have been fighting in court for the past few months. And I've had my UPS and I've had my downs but it's been very hard. And I have stayed on track I was able to smile everything was okay until yesterday. Yesterday I fell off the bandwagon. Usually when I indulge I'm excited for it I plan it and I'm okay with it yesterday I woke up not even wanting to get out of bed. I said forget this I'm totally going off track I'm not I took the day off completely but it wasn't a happy day was a negative day. Even the food I was eating there was no pleasure from it was just something else using to try to make me feel better. And I'm not that person that uses food in general at all to make me feel better. So yesterday was a bad day. Today I got up in the morning feeling stronger I hit it in the gym pretty strong. I'm feeling more in control and like I can handle what's to come. I just feel kind of down 4 using food yesterday. Because of course I'm up and wait from the Indulgence of the day, which I know by the end of the week we'll come off but it's just annoying. I know I'm human and things like this happen. I just wanted to get on here and vent. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this were they used food negatively I felt depressed about it the next day. Looking for some positive reinforcements here.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Life happens. I'll bet most of us have had a day like that.

You acknowledge what the circumstances were and that's a huge step. Just get back on your plan today. It will help keep you positive. ❤
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Forgive yourself. Log it all. Move on.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've been going through a lot lately. I'm a single mother and my ex-husband has been out of my daughter's life for most of it. He recently came out of nowhere and wants to see her. He's very unstable and not well. So I have been fighting in court for the past few months. And I've had my UPS and I've had my downs but it's been very hard. And I have stayed on track I was able to smile everything was okay until yesterday. Yesterday I fell off the bandwagon. Usually when I indulge I'm excited for it I plan it and I'm okay with it yesterday I woke up not even wanting to get out of bed. I said forget this I'm totally going off track I'm not I took the day off completely but it wasn't a happy day was a negative day. Even the food I was eating there was no pleasure from it was just something else using to try to make me feel better. And I'm not that person that uses food in general at all to make me feel better. So yesterday was a bad day. Today I got up in the morning feeling stronger I hit it in the gym pretty strong. I'm feeling more in control and like I can handle what's to come. I just feel kind of down 4 using food yesterday. Because of course I'm up and wait from the Indulgence of the day, which I know by the end of the week we'll come off but it's just annoying. I know I'm human and things like this happen. I just wanted to get on here and vent. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this were they used food negatively I felt depressed about it the next day. Looking for some positive reinforcements here.

I am assuming you have been in a calorie deficit trying to lose weight. If so I think an overfeed day can actually be a really good thing. Ideally you would enjoy the food but your personality is not one to medicate emotionally with food and that is a plus much more than a minus. If you have been in a calorie deficit though you could consider yesterday as medicating yourself physically with food. I am not sure how much stress the body is under being in a deficit but I would imagine it is some stress. Hormones are definitely affected which is why 10-14 day diet breaks are recommended. 1 day breaks are said to do very little to nothing in resetting hormones but you would have had a chance to store lots of glycogen for energy. When your energy is good you have a better chance of being in a more upbeat mood.

The other good news is that 1 day overfeeds typically result in so little weight gain it will probably not even show up on the scale. Water and waste weight will so your weight will likely be up slightly for awhile but it won't last.

You are going through a tough time. Be kind to yourself. You didn't really fall off of anything you took an inconsequential detour.

How as that for positive?

Love it!! I've been at goal for a year or so. I eat in a slight caloric defecit because I'm really not hungry...But your right!! I just feel so thick and bloated today :(
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    and the last time I had a great day was 5 weeks ago. I usually need a treat day once a month
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Yea, I'm kinda with ya. I don't typically weigh in if I know the reading will be artificially inflated and not representative of an actual weight gain. It's just easier on me mentally that way.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Good news: There is no wagon, so you can't fall off it.

An aside. I only ever heard "the wagon" as to do with booze, but I guess it is used more widely for any habit or streak. However "bandwagon" is a whole other thing yes? As in, something everyone's doing so you jump on? I do love a good mixed metaphor.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    What wagon? Just keep going....
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i know quite a few young people going thru this, I went thru it when I was younger and now have a great husband so there is hope. The lady at the gym going thru all the stress of a divorce lost 160 lbs and has gained 50 back so dont let that happen to you! Just be cautious, get back on track, he is not worth it! You want to look good.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    RE we the same person? Just kidding, but yesterday was not my day either. Back to normal mode today. not overly restricting just back to steady eating according to plan. How you move forward from these stressful moments is what defines this new behavior you have worked so hard to build.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Depressing blow-out days happen during a diet, to everyone. You're already back at the gym, working it. You got to the fork in the road -- that crucial moment that occurs after a blow-out day -- and got back on the horse. So you've already succeeded; there is nothing to worry about here.

There's probably never been a person on a diet in all of history who didn't have the occasional seriously bad day in which they ate a lot of stuff they shouldn't have, and for all the wrong reasons. Right there, that's the fork in the road - some people get back on plan, many others throw in the towel. You already got back on plan. I'd put this one in the Positive column and chalk it up to normal diet behavior.