I can’t work out the calories?

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
Hello,

Does anyone understand this? I want to know the calories in dried weight - not cooked!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Just look up Sainsbury’s Penne dry weight? At least that looks like Penne?
    Side of the pack likely states the serving size as 56g. So if you want to enter a ‘serving’ choose that entry and change serving size to 0.56

Oh, and obviously, weigh that 56g out, don’t just tip half the pack into the water and call that a ‘serving’ 😂😂
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    didn't you ask this question yesterday - if not you, someone asked a very similar one
  • goatelope
    Options
    Yes this is a slightly different question, actually.

The pasta is not regular penne - it is gluten free.

It gives calories for cooked weight and there is nothing on the side for what a portion size is

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Either use an entry for another gluten free brand that uses the dry weight and hope it's the same, or weigh it cooked. That's really all you can do.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Go to the manufacturer's website. Their product information should give you the answers you need.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The package should say how many servings are in the box. And it will tell you how many calories a cooked serving is. Weigh out the whole box. Divide it by the number of servings. The calories in the dry weight of one serving should be the same as the calories in the cooked weight of one serving since all you're adding by cooking is water.

Most U.S. packages call a serving of pasta 56 grams dry. Your package is listing 200 grams cooked and the calories look a little low to me so maybe they're figuring about 50 grams dry?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with using the cooked weight?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

The weight of cooked pasta will vary depending on how "done" you cook it. The more done, the higher the ratio of absorbed water to pasta.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    The package should say how many servings are in the box. And it will tell you how many calories a cooked serving is. Weigh out the whole box. Divide it by the number of servings. The calories in the dry weight of one serving should be the same as the calories in the cooked weight of one serving since all you're adding by cooking is water.

Most U.S. packages call a serving of pasta 56 grams dry. Your package is listing 200 grams cooked and the calories look a little low to me so maybe they're figuring about 50 grams dry[/b?

I went to the Sainsbury’s website and oddly, on this product they claim that 500g pack contains 5 servings, so 100g serving, This seemed so out of line for other Sainsbury’s pastas that I gave up at that point because I don’t think I’d trust the data they produce for this particular item after seeing that!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You have asked the same question now several times. Starting to look to me as though you are not sincere.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

The weight of cooked pasta will vary depending on how "done" you cook it. The more done, the higher the ratio of absorbed water to pasta.

Yes, but as with cooked meat, it will be good enough.

Also, assuming the cooked information on the package is for correct cooking, overcooking will make it seem heavier and overstate the cals.
  • goatelope
    Options
    It’s really disheartening when people criticise someone for asking similar questions - working out calories can be complicated, especially for beginners - if you don’t want to answer, don’t, nobody is forcing you too. Ironically, I think people expressing worry and wanting to get it right is a sign that they *are* sincere, not that they aren’t.

To everyone else who has been enormously helpful - thank you. I hope I got it right. I cooked it and weighed out 200g, which would be about 350 calories. I hope I got it right. It’s made me nervous. Wish they would just tell you the calories in the dry weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »
    It’s really disheartening when people criticise someone for asking similar questions - working out calories can be complicated, especially for beginners - if you don’t want to answer, don’t, nobody is forcing you too. Ironically, I think people expressing worry and wanting to get it right is a sign that they *are* sincere, not that they aren’t.

To everyone else who has been enormously helpful - thank you. I hope I got it right. I cooked it and weighed out 200g, which would be about 350 calories. I hope I got it right. It’s made me nervous. Wish they would just tell you the calories in the dry weight.

The thing is, it's possible to overthink this stuff. You don't need to be nervous about one meal! I honestly believe the reason some people find calorie counting too difficult and they can't stick with it long enough to see results is because they stress out about being perfect every single time. This is an inexact science. You try to be as accurate as you can with what you have power over, and then you do the best you can with the rest. This manufacturer threw you a curve, so just do the best you can and don't worry about it. You don't have control over this one. Maybe the lesson is that this brand of pasta isn't a good fit for you right now. Or if you really like it and it fills you up, weigh it cooked, log it as such, and it will probably be fine anyway :smile:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it say on the packet 170 kcal - aka calories in plain English - per 100g. Right there in your picture.

Am I missing something? Just weigh what you eat and put it as a percentage of 100g.

Yes that is the cooked weight, it says so on the packet. Just go by the cooked weight - let go of this idea that all logging has to be accurate to the nth degree.
    It doesn't.
    It just has to be accurate enough to work.

Working out calories isn't difficult or complicated.
    In this case is very simple - just enter your cooked product as a percentage of 100g.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »

Most U.S. packages call a serving of pasta 56 grams dry. Your package is listing 200 grams cooked and the calories look a little low to me so maybe they're figuring about 50 grams dry[/b?

I went to the Sainsbury’s website and oddly, on this product they claim that 500g pack contains 5 servings, so 100g serving, This seemed so out of line for other Sainsbury’s pastas that I gave up at that point because I don’t think I’d trust the data they produce for this particular item after seeing that!

Yep, I was perusing the thread last night which talked about cooked vs dried pasta and was going to comment then that my bag of sainsbury's penne cites 100g of dried pasta as a 'serving'. Handy for me as that is what I actually count as a serving but then I hardly ever eat it now and I am very greedy. Normal people wouldnt eat that much.

Ive had that bag in the cupboard for about 2 years now, used some on Monday with a homemade mushroom and walnut pate and loads of veg, it was quite nice but about 700 cals as I threw on cheese and some greek yoghurt too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options

Also, assuming the cooked information on the package is for correct cooking, overcooking will make it seem heavier and overstate the cals.

Sorry, I took your post as a question you were seeking an answer to, rather than a rhetorical question. Also, I don't think in all cases that accepting overstatement of calories is a great thing, as it can encourage the idea that fewer calories is always better.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Sorry, I took your post as a question you were seeking an answer to, rather than a rhetorical question. Also, I don't think in all cases that accepting overstatement of calories is a great thing, as it can encourage the idea that fewer calories is always better.

It wasn't rhetorical. It was a question for OP. As I understood it, OP had a packaged pasta + other things meal with only a cooked weight on it and was stressing about the fact that he/she didn't know the calories for the dry weight. In that situation I think the best option is to go with the cooked weight and the variation based on cook time is going to be minimal. I don't think it's helpful to tell OP to ignore the packaged cals and try to recreate it with dry entries from other products or to insist that weighing cooked is not good enough. That was the point I was trying to make -- in that situation, just weigh cooked, it's fine.

Similarly, I ate a lot of bone-in meat when I was logging and I went with the cooked entry. It worked fine.

I agree that overstatement of cals is not always better, but my point was that even assuming the cooking made a big difference it was unlikely to be more cals than logged (bigger reason not to overcook is it would taste worse).