Yogurt

Options
Hi does anyone know the best yoghurt to have for brekky. There are so many to choose from. Thank you

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Personally I use Skyr the Icelandic yoghurt.
    Naturally low fat and high protein, no added sugar. I like the Natural and I’ll add my own fruit sometimes.

Personal taste though. Greek Yoghurt is also good!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Skyr is tasty. I like the new Fage fruit flavours - peach and mango flavours are amazing.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have two approaches using un-flavored Greek yogurt. Note that it takes a while to get used to the lack of sweetness, but if I can do it, so can anyone else. (I love sweets!)

1) Whole milk (4% fat) yogurt with berries

2) Non-fat yogurt with nuts an berries (fat comes from the nuts)

I subscribe to the notion that you need some fat in your meals to make them satisfying. I do the second option much more frequently.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Buy a large tub of plain yogurt and add your own frozen fruits ( 2 bananas, 200g mangoes and 200g strawberry), divide into 12 ounce glass jar = 200+ calories.
    This should give you at least 4 -5 servings
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Just checked my recipes - should be 214 calories
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    So many choices! I think it comes to down to personal preferences for tartness, texture, and nutrients. I like most yogurts (except for the "diet" varieties filled with artificial ingredients) and enjoy trying new types and flavors.

I usually choose skyr or Greek yogurt for breakfast. Both are strained, so they have a good amount of protein (about 15 g in 150g). Quark, when I can get it, is nice too - like skyr but less tart. I add fruit, nuts, granola, and/or a drizzle of honey to plain or choose a lower-sugar variety of flavored skyr or yogurt. My favorite brands are Siggi's for skyr and Fage for Greek. My sister likes Two Good, a low-sugar flavored Greek.

The amount of milkfat in the yogurt affects the taste and texture. Yogurts made from lower fat milks tend to be more tart and less creamy, so I use full (4-5%) or reduced-fat (2%) Greek in recipes and as a substitute for sour cream. Watch out for thickening agents like gelatin or guar gum in some fat-free varieties that can affect the final product.

Some of the flavored or fruit-on-the-bottom French and Australian yogurts I've tried make delightful, indulgent desserts, but they contain a lot of sugar and not much protein. (I'm currently obsessed with the Oui Petite Dark Chocolate Raspberry and Noosa Salted Caramel and Raspberry Lemonade flavors). Fortunately, they usually come in smaller containers!

The best way to find what works for you is to read labels and try a few different varieties. Enjoy!
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love icelandic yogurt... (Siggi's, Smari, Icelandic Provisions, etc). A little higher in protein than Greek and most do not have as much sugar.

That being said, I'm a sucker for Noosa....ermahgerd. Not as good for you at all but it's like freaking dessert. The strawberry rhubarb is delish.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends on what my calorie goals are for the day - on my days where i do higher fats - i love Noosa full-milk yogurt; if its a lower fat day, i do an oikos triple zero and another low fat option
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Arla's vanilla Skyr is the best yoghurt to have for brekky. There you go.

...we may need some definition of what you mean by 'best'...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you, your goals, your tastes.

I often buy plain greek yogurt from a local farm. If I get storebrand it's usually Fage or Siggi, but my current grocery has a huge selection of smaller brand yogurts (there's a neighborhood with a somewhat significant Middle Eastern population that also feeds into the grocery store's area, so I think this is why, it has more and different ethnic stuff in general than my prior market). I've tried some of these others, but they are mostly not greek style so have less protein in a serving.

My preference for eating on its own with berries and such added is 2%, although the stuff I get from a local farm is delicious and makes the full fat worth it. Sometimes I have that around and also 0% Fage, which I like on the side with eggs and veg or with potatoes (it's works as a sour cream replacement for me).

I always get plain and add fruit or whatever if I want flavored.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,581 Member
    Options
    I get Fage plain, add a little monkfruit and lots of cinnamon, then eat with berries.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani lower fat Greek yogurt.

110-120 calories. So creamy and good!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Best for what?

I like Icelandic Skry
  • dmbanach
    dmbanach Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon's Oikos non-fat Greek yogurt. Very creamy texture and great as a sour cream substitute. I make a great veggie dip using equal parts of Oikos and Walden Farms 0 calorie Ranch dressing mixed with a teaspoon or more of chopped garlic. Add chives when I have them. So good.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am also a Dannon fan. I like the Oikos Zero as well as the Light & Fit Varieites. The Oikos Zero variety averages 110 calories for 15g protein and 6g sugar. The Light & Fit variety averages 80 calories for 12g protein and 7 to 9g sugar. There are quiet a few tasty options in both.
  • katsushii
    katsushii Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was just about to make a post that I accidentally made my own ice cream by just trying to blend frozen fruit into my grass-fed yogurt... Haha. I added it all up in MFP and the entire bowl's calorie count (mostly yogurt, anyway) was SO MUCH lower than a couple regular spoonfuls of the Talenti gelatos in my freezer. I think I'll make it a regular thing.

All I wanted was to add some fruit to my yogurt. Haha.

Ended up adding in some whole milk (like two tbsps) just to force it to blend a bit more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    One brand I won't ever buy is Yoplait, because they've been aware for at least 20 years that wildlife can die after getting their heads stuck in the containers and won't alter their design enough to protect skunks: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/yoplait-yogurt-wildlife-danger-skunk-cups_n_5602dde9e4b0fde8b0d0d5cf
  • JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to dairy, so my choice is Daiya coconut milk yogurt alternative