Advice required

after being overweight for a few years and flipping in and out of dieting and using myfitnesspal, at Christmas decided to give it a real good go and low and behold in the next 6 months i have gone from 105kg to 80kgs (which is somewhere around where i would like to be), did this on a calorie deficit along with crossfit twice a week, HIIT classes 2-3 times a week and some light weight training and rowing at home. The issue i have now that although my cardio fitness seems to be getting better all the time, my weight lifting has plateaued. I would like to increase my numbers (some muscle mass) but I am scared to death that if i start overeating that the weight will pour back on and i will be back to square one. So currently 5'11 and 80kgs, consuming around 2400 calories per day and working out as above but with a office based job but do manage to do 10-12K steps per day. I find all the macro stuff and the advice on consumption really confusing so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Your diet sounds fine. I suggest some personal training.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    About what are you after advice on exactly?
  • simonisholiday
    simonisholiday Posts: 2 Member
    If i want to gain muscle will 2400 Calories do this? as in will my body fat % come down (currently 18%) without losing muscle, and preferably gaining or would you guys increase net calories? if i increase net calories worried about it weight going back on as fat, just nervous i guess after the 6 months of hard graft to get to this point.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    after being overweight for a few years and flipping in and out of dieting and using myfitnesspal, at Christmas decided to give it a real good go and low and behold in the next 6 months i have gone from 105kg to 80kgs (which is somewhere around where i would like to be), did this on a calorie deficit along with crossfit twice a week, HIIT classes 2-3 times a week and some light weight training and rowing at home. The issue i have now that although my cardio fitness seems to be getting better all the time, my weight lifting has plateaued. I would like to increase my numbers (some muscle mass) but I am scared to death that if i start overeating that the weight will pour back on and i will be back to square one. So currently 5'11 and 80kgs, consuming around 2400 calories per day and working out as above but with a office based job but do manage to do 10-12K steps per day. I find all the macro stuff and the advice on consumption really confusing so any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Are you willing to gain any weight at all?

You can bulk to gain muscle, but you will gain a little weight and some of it will be fat. Then you would need to do a cut to lose that fat. If you are currently maintaining at 2400, you would want to eat a bit more than that, say 250 cals more to gain half a lb per week.

If you are not in a place to gain any weight right now, you basically want to recomp - maintaining your weight while very slowly gaining a little muscle and losing a little fat. You would eat your maintenance calories and focus on strength training. This thread will tell you more:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Regardless, for success in building muscle and/or getting stronger, the best thing you can do is follow a well-designed program. Lots of great idea here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1