Weight fluctuations can be so frustrating

Options
I've been trying to lose some regain from maintenance for about two weeks now, All was going fine I got down to 132 from 133.6. Then I had a maintenance day where I ate 1700 which isn't unusual for me, I've done it many many times before without issue because it's maintenance. Since then I've rapidly gone back up to 133.2/133.4 and have been there for several days

Not my first rodeo I KNOW it's water fluctuations, I KNOW I didn't eat enough to gain almost 2 pounds. but it's been 4 days and it's not going away which is super annoying because it looks like I haven't lost anything and I'm back to my starting weight :/ . I also feel smaller it's just the scale won't agree!! Maybe TOM will be early this month because I always retain a pound or two before PMS, I dunno going to try to drink lots of water today and see how it goes

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I would love to say you get used to it, but I haven't yet lol. I've been maintaining +/- 3lbs for some time now and it's still disheartening at times to see the extra weight, but like you said, I know it isn't fat. That increased water takes care of it pretty quickly for me.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My advice...though it’s hard to do? Remain calm. Fluctuations play with our minds. In my case, eating more carbs than usual or something salty adds weight and it takes forever to drop again. I’ve begun using Happy Scale again. It calms the fluctuation and lets me breathe! 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I was told that since our bodies are machines weight fluctuates by the hour.... wish it weren’t so, but that’s the way. Do your clothes feel tighter? If not, I think the 2 pounds are of little concern.... 5 or more, I’d be logging religiously again and cutting back.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you will eventually be the weight you've earned. Just not necessarily on the day you earned it. ;)

Weight gain, aside from temporary water weight fluctuations from, as you mentioned, a woman's cycle or a higher sodium meal, can also be influenced by retained water for muscle repair after exercise, or something as simple as the weight of food/waste in your digestive system.

Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    oh I SO empathize with this! I'm heavy enough to be able to set my loss at a 2 lb/week rate, and yet, even though i've been doing very well at sticking to calorie goal for hte last few weeks, the weight is only inching off. But the proof came this morning that it's water weight - I dropped 2 pounds over night and came in this morning where I'd expect my rate to be.

But even knowing its water doesn't help the frustration levels! I can only guess that a lot of the retention has to do with the heat and high humidity we're experiencing right now - I've never done well with high heat or humidity.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    YES. I had 5 pounds of vacation and hormone water weight that took a month to go away.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration! Trend tracking can help, but I know for my body, oftentimes extra water weight can take upwards of 5+ days to go away - that's long enough to completely throw a trend out of whack.

My best advice is to just "trust the process" but I can completely relate to the frustration when it day after day, too!
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    183lbs yesterday>180.2lbs this morning. Couldn't help but think of this thread lol.
  • kevinflemming1982
    kevinflemming1982 Posts: 158 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I've been doing a couple of weeks now (only 8 days using MFP though) and noticed the same. Up, down, up, down. But inevitably it keeps going down after the odd spike, which is the most important thing. It's definitely due to drinking more water, as I'm exercising a lot more than usual. Still, yeah it's bloody annoying. :D
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What I'm most frustrated with is the seeming inconsistency of my bathroom scale.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of threads about scale positioning on the floor, make sure the floor is dead flat
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    183lbs yesterday>180.2lbs this morning. Couldn't help but think of this thread lol.

Same thing happened this morning to me haha, 133.4 yesterday, 131.2 today. I guess I wasn't drinking enough water
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Addictead wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Same thing happened this morning to me haha, 133.4 yesterday, 131.2 today. I guess I wasn't drinking enough water

It's a GOOD morning in my book lol.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my life right now! My holiday weight has barely gone down because I’m constipated, I have inflammation, I have DOMS and I’ve eaten a lot of carbs. That’s a lot of water weight. I was meant to be in a 500-600 calorie deficit because I’ve got 30 lbs to lose and I ended up being in a 350 calorie deficit! No wonder the rate of loss is so slow plus annoying weight isn’t going down. I have a party in 3 weeks which I want to lose some weight for. Some how we’ll get through this...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider using a trending app like Happy Scale or Libra. You enter your Weight daily and it gives you a trend line to smooth things out.
  • sam33a
    sam33a Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is why I have decided to stay off the scale for a couple of months. My fluctuations last weeks on end and then I just give up.