Weight fluctuations can be so frustrating

2»

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    sam33a wrote: »
    This is why I have decided to stay off the scale for a couple of months. My fluctuations last weeks on end and then I just give up.

Fluctuations are normal...using libra or similar as lorrpb mentioned will show the trend up or down in spite of the fluctuations
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I hear you. So many things can affect our weight and it can be difficult to ignore. I use Trendweight and I still get frustrated from time to time. On July 13th, I weighed 114.8 pounds but this morning I weighed 121.1 pounds; a 6.3 pound "gain" in eight days. I know I didn't eat that many calories over maintenance but it's still annoying especially when the fluctuation is so wild.
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    This is why I have decided to stay off the scale for a couple of months. My fluctuations last weeks on end and then I just give up.

Fluctuations are normal...using libra or similar as lorrpb mentioned will show the trend up or down in spite of the fluctuations

Do any of these apps also graphically track carbs, protein & calories?
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I hear you. So many things can affect our weight and it can be difficult to ignore. I use Trendweight and I still get frustrated from time to time. On July 13th, I weighed 114.8 pounds but this morning I weighed 121.1 pounds; a 6.3 pound "gain" in eight days. I know I didn't eat that many calories over maintenance but it's still annoying especially when the fluctuation is so wild.

Newer MFP user. Started out tracking protein, trying to up those calories... yesterday, ate at a deficit (as typical) ... gained 1.2 pounds.

Yes, carbs up to 200-210G ... is that considered a lot for a 240-280 pound man trying to lose? What's a realistic low-carb goal - 100G per day? I started out eating too little, with the adjustment carbs jumped.

(Reading here I realized the 3G of H2O that attach to the 1G of carbs really multiplies the effect on weight, likely causing the 1.2# gain.)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    TallGent66 wrote: »

Newer MFP user. Started out tracking protein, trying to up those calories... yesterday, ate at a deficit (as typical) ... gained 1.2 pounds.

Yes, carbs up to 200-210G ... is that considered a lot for a 240-280 pound man trying to lose? What's a realistic low-carb goal - 100G per day? I started out eating too little, with the adjustment carbs jumped.

(Reading here I realized the 3G of H2O that attach to the 1G of carbs really multiplies the effect on weight, likely causing the 1.2# gain.)

If those carbs didn't take you over a calorie deficit and beyond maintenance, you didn't gain fat, just water weight.

For health, body composition, and energy level, good nutrition matters: Enough protein, healthy fats, veggies & fruits.

If you're diabetic, managing carbs may be important. If you're one of the people for whom eating more carbs spikes appetite, managing carbs may be important. If you're one of the people whose energy level tanks with insufficient carbs, managing carbs may be important.

Water weight isn't fat, so I'd suggest ignoring it as meaningless, and letting it fluctuate. And unless you're a person who has a reason to manage carbs, I'd suggest just focusing on eating the things you need for good nutrition, and letting carbs fall where they may.

I'm 5'5", weight in the mid-130s, year 3 of maintenance. I eat around 200g of carbs most days, though I don't have any particular goal for carbs (I target protein, fat, and veggie/fruit servings minimums, plus calorie goal). Given that, I don't see anything per se wrong with 200g or so of carbs for someone much larger.

Just my opinion.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    I hate the scale! Just this morning, I got up and weighed. Then I drank a cup of coffee. Just for grins, I weighed again. 3 pounds heavier. It's crazy.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,376 Member

At your weight, fluctuations of 1.2 lbs are nothing, really. Could just be a bit more food in your intestines waiting to come out :D Or a slightly cooler night with less water weight loss while sleeping. Or a bit more stress during daytime, higher temperatures in general, a bit more salt, longer public transport ride, and any other reason.

I just came back from a music festival. Ate fairly normal, probably at maintenance. Yeah, instead of my mostly veggie-based food I had rather salty Lebanese barbecued chicken and hummus. And a bag of crisps when I came home. That's no actual fat reason to be 700gr heavier :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Do any of these apps also graphically track carbs, protein & calories?
    Sorry, I completely missed this. Libra does not and I only use mfp for tracking macros and calories...
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I swing back and forth now that I'm closer to goal weight which doesn't make a lot of sense. I overate on the 4th and went up 6lbs for a couple weeks and ended up having a large whoosh at the end. I was getting real discouraged so I stopped weighing every day. If the scale is up despite doing everything right and it's getting to me I take a break from it.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member

Just to update, it's been two days since I've posted this and I'm already back down to 118. I agree with @Katmary71 about the swinging being more back and forth at goal weight. When I started losing weight at 139 pounds, I saw a decrease on the scale every day; it wasn't until 121 pounds that I finally saw a day with no change. Everyone is different with regard to that though. I personally never had fluctuations, especially such wild ones, until I hit the 11X weight range. Now I'm all over the place depending on what I eat and what part of my menstrual cycle I'm in.