Skinny fat

Options
My best friend sent me this after telling her I'm not that happy with my weight even at 3 pounds away from my goal.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a61925/kelsey-wells-scale-instagram-post/

I really feel I should try to lose another 5 pounds once I get down to 135 at 5 ft 7 in and she feels I am small enough and losing more would be bad. I just don't know.. because in my eyes I really believe there is much more to work on. My profile icon is not current, I was 141ish there and I am 138.8 as of this morning.

This (girl in article) to me sounds difficult to accomplish, way more than simply losing weight.

I weight lift and do HIIT and run 1 mile after my workouts (4-5x a week)
I eat around 1750 a day although I'm usually under around 200-300 cals due to exercise. I eat half cals back. I'm not starving.

I don't try to hit protein goals. I hate all protein shakes/drinks and most protein bars are too sweet to me. I try to eat as much meat as I can but don't overdo it so of course I don't eat the recommended amount of protein for muscle growth.

I do feel like I am skinny fat, but I am not sure exactly what to do about it.

Replies

• mike_rom
    mike_rom Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Um... looking at your profile pic... you look absolutely amazing!! You should be very very proud!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    100% agree with others about recomposition being a good route, given your comments.

I'm just in to add this: Protein is important, especially if your goals include improving body composition. As a vegetarian, I have no great difficulty hitting a minimum of 100g protein daily, and usually more, on roughly the same calories you're eating. (I'm 5'5", mid-130s pounds.) While I'm ovo-lacto, I'm pretty sure I could do it with plant-sourced foods alone. I nearly never use protein powder or eat protein bars; pretty much all my protein comes from regular food. (I might supplement on a rare, rare occasion when traveling.) So, it's possible to hit a reasonable protein goal without eating any meat or fish at all, and while getting a well-rounded, balanced diet in other respects.

Here's what I'd suggest: There's a great thread over in the Food & Nutrition part of the forums. Here's the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Find foods on that list that you enjoy eating, and eat more of them.

To accomplish that within your calorie goal, review your food diary and find foods that are contributing relatively many calories, but aren't helping you with important nutritional goals (and aren't things you're eating for pure tastiness or as necessary to feel full, which are also important goals). Reduce or eliminate those foods, and eat a little more of some food you enjoy from that linked spreadsheet. There are veggies with protein, fruits with protein, grains with protein, and more. Plant sources are not as complete in terms of essential amino acids, but eating varied sources will help with that. And you may find some meat/fish sources you haven't thought about (or dairy, if you eat dairy).

Keep reviewing your diary and tweaking your eating gradually, over time, until you find a tasty, satiating way of eating that meets your nutritional goals.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    So from your profile pic, I wouldn't say "skinny fat." I might say "undermuscled." You aren't hugely developed (if that's what you are going for), but you don't look "fat." You look relatively lean; I think muscularity is the area you might be "lacking" for the look you might be going for (judging from the Instagram person).

Recomp is a slow process. It took me nearly 2 years to get to where I wanted, so I could start bulking/cutting without bulking and being a little too fluffy already. Take a look at the recomp thread...that should explain recomp.

Protein doesn't need to come from shakes (I only take a shake to the gym if I know I'm not going to eat a meal soon after). Cottage cheese, canned tuna/chicken are quick protein rich snacks.

Realistically, you only need to worry about scale weight if you are trying to make weight for a specific weight class for some type of competition.

ETA: what are you doing in terms of lifting? Are you following a structured program or winging it? There's a good link that has compiled a list of lifting programs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »
    My best friend sent me this after telling her I'm not that happy with my weight even at 3 pounds away from my goal.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a61925/kelsey-wells-scale-instagram-post/

I really feel I should try to lose another 5 pounds once I get down to 135 at 5 ft 7 in and she feels I am small enough and losing more would be bad. I just don't know.. because in my eyes I really believe there is much more to work on. My profile icon is not current, I was 141ish there and I am 138.8 as of this morning.

This (girl in article) to me sounds difficult to accomplish, way more than simply losing weight.

I eat around 1750 a day although I'm usually under around 200-300 cals due to exercise. I eat half cals back. I'm not starving.

I don't try to hit protein goals. I hate all protein shakes/drinks and most protein bars are too sweet to me. I try to eat as much meat as I can but don't overdo it so of course I don't eat the recommended amount of protein for muscle growth.

Kelsey Wells reached her goal weight and wasn't happy with how she looked, because of her body composition. So she started working out, and became happy 18 pounds heavier.

gallery-1469565382-my-sweat-life.jpg?resize=768:*

You say you weight lift, but what exactly does this mean? Many women initially make the mistake of doing so many reps with such light weight they they aren't doing much, if anything, for building muscle.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You lost me at a stranger on Instagram. I would first pinpoint exactly why you aren’t you happy with the way you look. Are you actually interested in gaining muscle or are you only considering it because of some girl on the gram? What exactly about your body do you feel there is more to work on - is it the physical way you look, or is it the endurance/strength/stamina aspect? I was 123lbs at one point but didn’t have nearly the strength I did at 140lbs and became so much more satisfied with myself “fatter” bc I FELT and was stronger. I would cancel out the noise around you, including your friend who sent you this article, and figure out what your new goal is for yourself. If you are truly into gaining muscle, I would start researching, watching YouTube videos, and then maybe making at least a 1-time appt with a physical trainer at your gym (at many gyms the first session is free).

Skinny-fat usually refers to someone who is thin but has very poor nutrition (think lots of trans fats, fast food, and junk food as a primary source of nutrition). You sound like you are simply thin and eat healthy.

Congratulations on being so close to your goal weight! Whatever the next step is for you to finding happiness, you will crush it! Stay away from the gram ... it’s all smoke and mirrors.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    alondrakar wrote: »

Work to improve your body composition. Simply losing weight probably isn't focused enough, especially if your profile pic is at all current. You can run bulk/cut cycles, or you can recomp... but you need to start focusing a bit more on muscle retention, which means a bit more focus on protein and maybe a bit more focused workouts.