Legs look like they belong on a different person :(

nettiklive
nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay I know you can't spot reduce. But I just need to vent because I'm feeling really frustrated with my body. I am a pear shape. I maintained a constant weight I was happy with for over twelve years (intuitive eating, no logging, only loose mental tracking), I've always had thick legs and it's only at the very low end of the bmi range that they looked decent. Not super shapely but at least not fat. Well over this winter, probably due to my glass of wine habit going from twice a week to daily, I got distracted and gained 4-5 lbs. Doesn't sound like a big deal, except on my fairly lean small frame it is super noticeable particularly because it seems to literally all settle in my thighs! My hips and legs from the knee up look awful, chunky and cellulite-y. Two years ago I tried to start a very gradual recomp, with lifting - squats, deadlifts, loosely based on Stronglifts/ Strongcurves but not following the program to a T, and was very happy with my body a year ago. I've been trying to lose the extra weight and cut down on food and added in cardio, I'm pretty happy with the way the rest of my body looks but there is zero change in the legs and it's killing me especially since it's summer and I can no longer ignore them in shorts and dresses :( They look like they belong on a sedentary woman twice my weight and age. I read that this fat is particularly resistant and am terrified that even if I lose the five lbs back, they're gonna come off from everywhere else instead and I'll end up even more disproportional than when I've started. Pictures attached of my upper and lower body so you can see the difference.
I know probably not much can be done besides what I'm already doing but just wanted to see if maybe anyone can offer advice or just commiserate. Big ask: please no patronizing comments like 'you look fine' or 'it's all in your head, you should talk to someone' etc, my looks are important to me and I want to be in amazing shape, not just 'look fine'. Thanks for reading!

ygwqpdj00j14.png
qleadve90p0t.png
19r5qg10cvkl.png
dwn5ivp2n0f1.png

Replies

• Mykatet
    Mykatet Posts: 54 Member
    I'm really not seeing the problem.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    Okay I know you can't spot reduce. But I just need to vent because I'm feeling really frustrated with my body. I am a pear shape. I maintained a constant weight I was happy with for over twelve years (intuitive eating, no logging, only loose mental tracking), I've always had thick legs and it's only at the very low end of the bmi range that they looked decent. Not super shapely but at least not fat. Well over this winter, probably due to my glass of wine habit going from twice a week to daily, I got distracted and gained 4-5 lbs. Doesn't sound like a big deal, except on my fairly lean small frame it is super noticeable particularly because it seems to literally all settle in my thighs! My hips and legs from the knee up look awful, chunky and cellulite-y. Two years ago I tried to start a very gradual recomp, with lifting - squats, deadlifts, loosely based on Stronglifts/ Strongcurves but not following the program to a T, and was very happy with my body a year ago. I've been trying to lose the extra weight and cut down on food and added in cardio, I'm pretty happy with the way the rest of my body looks but there is zero change in the legs and it's killing me especially since it's summer and I can no longer ignore them in shorts and dresses :( They look like they belong on a sedentary woman twice my weight and age. I read that this fat is particularly resistant and am terrified that even if I lose the five lbs back, they're gonna come off from everywhere else instead and I'll end up even more disproportional than when I've started. Pictures attached of my upper and lower body so you can see the difference.
    I know probably not much can be done besides what I'm already doing but just wanted to see if maybe anyone can offer advice or just commiserate. Big ask: please no patronizing comments like 'you look fine' or 'it's all in your head, you should talk to someone' etc, my looks are important to me and I want to be in amazing shape, not just 'look fine'. Thanks for reading!
    Getting back to where you want to be might require some serious dedication. I understand not being happy with an area of the body that's carrying just a bit too much fat for my liking - with me it's my belly. Anything extra (a whole 4-6lbs maybe lol) settles there.

First off, stick with the recomp and the strength training. Genetics are going to play a part in how your weight is distributed, but it would be a shame to keep beating yourself up over 5lbs and a problem that exists largely in your own perception of yourself.

So close to a goal weight, log your food. Find out exactly how much you are eating and then create a small deficit. I just very recently started logging again myself because I need to lose this touch of belly fat and if I want to get to where I want to get to, I need to do what I need to do to get there.

Time - close to goal weight and a small deficit/or recomp takes effort and time. You already look good - don't give that up, but don't be unrealistic about expectations either. Eat enough to fuel your efforts and be good to yourself.

Lastly, have some fun with what you're doing. What's the point in doing all this work and being miserable? You did this before and you can do it again.

This ^^^^^ Totally this.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who do not see a pair of legs that is disproportionate to the rest of her body. Instead, I see someone who has a beautiful figure that many females would envy.

AMEN SISTER!